Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Re: Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it was just coincidence. I don't know if this computer was built out of parts or not but I am assuming so based upon you saying cheap MB and RAM. You may have had marginal hardware to begin with that just went south over time.

My personal experience with spikes has usually resulted in toasted hardware rather than hardware that still works but is flaky.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
It's possessed. Cast the devil out of it!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzan View Post
I'm thinking it was just coincidence. I don't know if this computer was built out of parts or not but I am assuming so based upon you saying cheap MB and RAM. You may have had marginal hardware to begin with that just went south over time.

My personal experience with spikes has usually resulted in toasted hardware rather than hardware that still works but is flaky.
the MB was a left over MB from a "kit" where the owner never used the board. But the board itself is a cheap brand and I read enough to discover they use cheap capacitors.

The ram was new but was "econo" or "value" from Corsair...normally I wouldn't have an issue with Corsairs. I replaced them with OCZ, which is what I pretty much use normally on my own PCs. Everything else was brand spankin new

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Get a Mac!

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Get a Mac!

BT
Oh, don't get me started...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

It looks like you fixed it, but when I see random glitches like reboots and freezes I immediately suspect the power supply and RAM. Granted the RAM is the easiest to test (using Memtest86) but I have seen my share of bad -usually because they are underpowered, PS's. After checking for those two, I immediately bring out my copy of Spinrite and let it have a run at the HD. If THAT doesn't fix things, I will start the tedious process of swapping SATA/IDE cables.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Get a Mac!

BT
I work on Mac's all day long. Trust me, they go bad too and WHEN they go bad the only solution is to ship them back to Apple since they practically embed their hard drives in epoxy and weld their cases shut to keep people like me from being able to fix them.

The older macbooks had removable drives and I quite often took them out, hooked them to a SATA-to-USB bus and proceeded to fix and recover data using a whole tool chest of hard drive repair and recovery tools I personally own -using a PC. But no more... Now in order to even get your grubby little hands on those tools for Mac's you need to be Mac certified through Apple.

Last edited by RandyWayne; 10-26-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
It looks like you fixed it, but when I see random glitches like reboots and freezes I immediately suspect the power supply and RAM. Granted the RAM is the easiest to test (using Memtest86) but I have seen my share of bad -usually because they are underpowered, PS's. After checking for those two, I immediately bring out my copy of Spinrite and let it have a run at the HD. If THAT doesn't fix things, I will start the tedious process of swapping SATA/IDE cables.
Yep...that's why the PS was the first to be replaced. Since I've had some funny results with bad/loose SATA cables I checked those too. My experience though has been freezes not reboots.

I should probably buy Spinrite. It would be nice to install to my boot disk
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I work on Mac's all day long. Trust me, they go bad too and WHEN they go bad the only solution is to ship them back to Apple since they practically embed their hard drives in epoxy and weld their cases shut to keep people like me from being able to fix them.

The older macbooks had removable drives and I quite often took them out, hooked them to a SATA-to-USB bus and proceeded to fix and recover data using a whole tool chest of hard drive repair and recovery tools I personally own -using a PC. But no more... Now in order to even get your grubby little hands on those tools for Mac's you need to be Mac certified through Apple.
Well I barely know how to use one, so I never try to work on them. If one acts up that's just a good reason to get a new one. At least that's what I tell my wife! Sure love my ipad!

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Yep...that's why the PS was the first to be replaced. Since I've had some funny results with bad/loose SATA cables I checked those too. My experience though has been freezes not reboots.

I should probably buy Spinrite. It would be nice to install to my boot disk
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
Spinrite was a hard purchase for me considering it is only a 170k download (it downloads so fast that you assume it didn't work!) and costs 89.00. But it does work and has pulled off a few minor miracles since getting it -including <drum roll please> on some Mac hard drives!