Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Re: I would like to speak with new tongues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
So you have Chinese friends and they don’t know English and you don’t know Chinese???...... hmmmmmm....
All my Chinese friends speak English. And they all know that I'm incapable of learning Chinese. Wouldn't my testimony be incredibly enhanced if I could be fluent in Chinese instantly and witness to them in their own language?

Wouldn't that be a proper use of the gift of tongues?

1 Corinthians 14:22
Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.

Last edited by Zog Has-fallen; 04-28-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
All my Chinese friends speak English. And they all know that I'm incapable of learning Chinese. Wouldn't my testimony be incredibly enhanced if I could be fluent in Chinese instantly and witness to them in their own language?

Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.
If they speak English then witnesses to them in English. Seriously not trying to be rude but if you have never received the baptism of the Holy Ghost you should be seeking the Holy Ghost and not worrying about witnessing to anyone in a foreign Language.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

No that is not the proper use of the "gift" of tongues. You will not find that use in the scripture. In Acts 2 the people in the upper room speaking in tongues were not speaking in known tongues, they were all speaking in unknown tongues. Not only unknown to them but unknown to all. The miracle was that God Caused the tongues to be heard by everyone in their native language. It wasnt that one person was speaking to the Parthians in their language and another few people speaking to the Medes and so on. All were being heard at the same time as speaking every language.

Understand God did not make the 120 fluent in any language. They were not speaking in known languages yet it was being heard as known languages.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Acts 2:5-11
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”
I'd be very happy to receive the gift of understanding Hebrew and Aramaic when I hear it. Or is that gift limited to the Parthians, Medes, Elamites and the residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd be very happy to receive the gift of understanding Hebrew and Aramaic when I hear it. Or is that gift limited to the Parthians, Medes, Elamites and the residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians?
You are a wolf......
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
You are a wolf......
No. I am a dragon trainee.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
"We hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”
So what's wrong with me wanting the gift of hearing other tongues in English?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

Apparently, no one interprets.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

Apparently, no one interprets.
I know better than to respond, but... perhaps you should ask God for wisdom instead of a gift. If you truly want to reach your friends, I am sure He can show the way.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

The Apostle Paul said that tongues are a sign for unbelievers. I want my unbelieving Chinese friends to see it. I expect that they should be impressed witnessing a real Biblical gift.