Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
3-step, doctrine, heritage

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Jerry Moon

Re: Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

I was taught Kissinger was the anti-christ, that Israel became a nation in 1948 and that Christ would come before the next 40 years, I was taught that my pastor would not die befor the Rapture happened, and that another pastor that was bed fast now, was one of the two witnesses that would die in the streets of Jersulam. Naaa... I've questioned a lot of things that I was tuaght and don't believe them...

The heresy hunters are still with us. Only now, instead of stakes, they use their books and radio programs to destroy those they consider heretics.... I'm concerned that heresy hunting may be turning into leukemia because some cultwatchers seem more intent on destroying parts of the body than healing the body....

Come see us on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/Revelationist1948
http://www.sermon.net/sermons-Biblic...rch-14145.html
Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Through the years I have asked questions and sought out answers through those more knowlegeable than I, through education, and through my own personal studies. Doctrinally, I believe what I was taught in every area of Biblically sound doctrine.

The only thing that I have changed my mind on is the manmade application of "outward dress".

Things have been added to my belief system through the understanding of grace, mercy, and sanctificaiton but it all fits perfectly together in my mind.

What do you, or don't you believe from what you were taught growing up in the church? I am curious as to how many feel alike or differently from myself.

Thank-you for responding.

Blessings, Rhoni
Right,men and women should not wear anything that shows their shapoe.Everyone should wear robes.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

I have never questioned a teaching that was backed up by God's conviction, his word, and the spirit of revelation and understanding reveling "Truth!"
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelel View Post
Right,men and women should not wear anything that shows their shapoe.Everyone should wear robes.
I knew a group in Florida that wore robes. The men had long hair and beards (like Jesus). Do you were robes all the time, if you don't mind my asking?

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

My first is a good-man but to be honest I have come to some differing conslusions on some doctrines,than He taught.
My current Pastor is a great Christian man but on some things I have some differing conslusions than He does,but I don't bring division to the church.
But I agree with Him on more things than I disagree with.
I'm still reading and studying my bible and examing everything with the word as my final authority.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

I accepted a lot of what was taught for many years without questioning the biblical foundation. As I researched and read the Bible about these doctrines, I now believe that we cannot earn our salvation. That outward standards have a place,but they are not part of my salvation. Christ paid for my salvation on Calvary, my responsibility is to let Christ reflect in my life in every way. I still have questions about the hair issue. I find I Cor. 11:5-15 some of the most confusing scriptures in the Bible. I really believe Paul was dealing with cultural issues and not salvational issues.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I accepted a lot of what was taught for many years without questioning the biblical foundation. As I researched and read the Bible about these doctrines, I now believe that we cannot earn our salvation. That outward standards have a place,but they are not part of my salvation. Christ paid for my salvation on Calvary, my responsibility is to let Christ reflect in my life in every way. I still have questions about the hair issue. I find I Cor. 11:5-15 some of the most confusing scriptures in the Bible. I really believe Paul was dealing with cultural issues and not salvational issues.
Outward standards are all about the SECOND greatest commandment of the NT, which is to love your neighbor. If you truly love your neighbor you will not tempt them. You will also dress and act in such a way as to respect them while not trying to cause feelings of envy.
It is simply amazing how one basic principle can applied to so many things!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I agree. Too many try to "reflect' what their church teaches, or what a preacher preaches. I've seen people "imitate", talk, walk and dress, like their "leader. David Terrell years ago wore all black. The ministers under him followed suit. They'd copy his preaching style and mannerisms. The were but reflections of a man. By merely following "manuels" and affirmation statements or whatever, the same thing is being done. We are mere images of whatever group we are with.

But, to reflect Christ. That is the mark of a true Christian. You ever notice the Bible isn't real clear on the length of Jesus' hair? The Bible doesn't describe his clothing, or His shoes. Thats because we aren't trying to imitate Him, but we are trying to reflect Him- His nature. Our objective should be to "partake of His Divine Nature". Thats what it means to follow Christ.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
All of these are how I am. I was too firm and too elite. Now I am not. I am for Grace! I am not for unconditional Grace like you can live anyway you want and go to Heaven. What I truely mean there is that sleep around, drink around, murder, etc and be saved I do not follow. Maybe those are extremes but I believe you understand. I did come to the stark reality that we, the Pentecostal Chuch, preached Grace to the sinner and not to the saint. IMO There is/was no room for personal convictions. I did not let people have their own convictions, at least the ones I went to church with. I was not balanced at all. It was sickening actually. Then I had my eyes opened. The truth is I could go to a UPC church and be fine except I do not want to go where I know the Pastor preaches things I do not believe/follow. I do not want to be a hinderance or burden to those that attend that do follow. The one thing I will say about all is that I will follow what ever conviciton God gives me, no matter how tight. I changed because my belief was not a God conviction it was something I followed cause a preacher told me I had to or go to hell. I didn't like my options so I chose 'his' message and not His message.
JTullock,

Thank-you for your honesty. Many Pastors have apologize to their congregations but they too were a prodict fo their upbringing. It is wrong to force ones opinions or personal convictions off on others, whether you are a pastor or not. Peace comes from living your wown convictions, and within your own value system, while not judging others for doing the same.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
And I use to love to fuss and argue. But, some time out of fellowship with the Body of Christ cured me of that. Now, I try to promote unity within the Body because, if there has ever been a Message of the Hour, the Unity of the Spirit is that message.
X marks the spot!!!

Good post!