Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Chan

Jesus Camp

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Camp-Mik...4593645&sr=8-1

I saw this movie at Target and, out of curiosity, bought it (of course, it's a bit odd that Amazon.com would offer a special on it if you also bought liar algore's movie).

The movie attempts to respectfully present the story of a Pentecostal children's "pastor" who has this camp fin North Dakota or Christian kids, focusing particularly on one or two of the families. However, the secular folks who produced the movie manage to get their digs in (mainly in having a leftist radio talk show host making on-air statements from time to time, including an interview with the pastor in question). I say "attempts respectfully" because the movie did not make the people out to be a bunch of right wing, kool-aid-drinking nuts (though some leftists might interpret them that way) and actually let the participants present their own position. Overall, the films producers remained pretty neutral in their presentation.

What I didn't like about what was portrayed in the movie (besides the leftist radio talk show host) was how the "pastor" (well, she wasn't a real pastor since God doesn't call women to the five-fold ministry) and some others brought politics into the mix and had these kids involved in Christian Nationalist activities that almost made the camp seem like a right wing training camp for future political activists. If they had left the George Bush life-sized photo stand-up out of it, and left the seeming "worship" of George Bush out of it, and the guy out of it who was recruiting some of these kids to be pro-life protesters, it would have been absolutely awesome - especially when some of the kids clearly had the Holy Ghost. They also should have left out that Ted Haggard character (pastor of a Colorado megachurch and head of the National Association of Evangelicals later discovered to have been having sex with the male prostitute) - he presented himself to be a really scary character and, if I were those kids, I would have found him frightening.

If you can mentally separate out the elements of the dominion theology heresy, it's a great movie.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Camp-Mik...4593645&sr=8-1

I saw this movie at Target and, out of curiosity, bought it (of course, it's a bit odd that Amazon.com would offer a special on it if you also bought liar algore's movie).

The movie attempts to respectfully present the story of a Pentecostal children's "pastor" who has this camp fin North Dakota or Christian kids, focusing particularly on one or two of the families. However, the secular folks who produced the movie manage to get their digs in (mainly in having a leftist radio talk show host making on-air statements from time to time, including an interview with the pastor in question). I say "attempts respectfully" because the movie did not make the people out to be a bunch of right wing, kool-aid-drinking nuts (though some leftists might interpret them that way) and actually let the participants present their own position. Overall, the films producers remained pretty neutral in their presentation.

What I didn't like about what was portrayed in the movie (besides the leftist radio talk show host) was how the "pastor" (well, she wasn't a real pastor since God doesn't call women to the five-fold ministry) and some others brought politics into the mix and had these kids involved in Christian Nationalist activities that almost made the camp seem like a right wing training camp for future political activists. If they had left the George Bush life-sized photo stand-up out of it, and left the seeming "worship" of George Bush out of it, and the guy out of it who was recruiting some of these kids to be pro-life protesters, it would have been absolutely awesome - especially when some of the kids clearly had the Holy Ghost. They also should have left out that Ted Haggard character (pastor of a Colorado megachurch and head of the National Association of Evangelicals later discovered to have been having sex with the male prostitute) - he presented himself to be a really scary character and, if I were those kids, I would have found him frightening.

If you can mentally separate out the elements of the dominion theology heresy, it's a great movie.

That camp is about 100 miles from where I live. In fact our district rents the campground for a mens retreat.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyof2 View Post
That camp is about 100 miles from where I live. In fact our district rents the campground for a mens retreat.
You mean that people really do live in North Dakota? Wow!

Seriously, though, the movie is well worth watching.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Jesus Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
You mean that people really do live in North Dakota? Wow!

Seriously, though, the movie is well worth watching.
One of our son in law's is from North Dakota and is a wonderful

man, good provider for his family. He and our eldest daughter have

five great sons, and they just celebrated their 25th wedding anniv.

His parents and other family live there now. They are all Holy Ghost

filled, hard-working, God-loving people!! Some of the best I have seen!

Our son in law's family were devout Lutheren, hungering for more of

God, start meeting in their homes (with other Lutheren families), praying

reading and studying the Word of God. Some started speaking in tongues.

God led them to an apostolic church where they were baptized in Jesus

Name. This was many years ago. They all remain devout apostolic today!!

Blessings,

Falla39