Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery > The Cry Room
Facebook

Notices

The Cry Room Where disruptive users are sent for a TIME OUT!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

Re: God does not accept sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
This thread fails to see what Jesus was truly talking about. Let’s look at the text:
Matthew 19:3-9
{19:3} The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him,
and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his
wife for every cause? {19:4} And he answered and said
unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at
the beginning made them male and female, {19:5} And
said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and
shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
{19:6} Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put
asunder. {19:7} They say unto him, Why did Moses then
command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her
away? {19:8} He saith unto them, Moses because of the
hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your
wives: but from the beginning it was not so. {19:9} And I
say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it
be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth
adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth
commit adultery.
The above passage is one of the most misunderstood passages in the NT. The Pharisees were questioning Jesus about “putting away” in Matthew. In ancient Judea there was a practice of sending a wife away without a writ of divorcement (the “get”). This ensured that the husband could keep the dowry and that the wife would not be able to remarry. Even today we see this issue arise in Judaism. Women in this situation are called Agunah, or “bound women”. Their husbands have put them away, however they are still bound to their husbands on account of the husband not giving the get. Notice that in Matthew 19:7 the Pharisees themselves speak of the writing of divorcement AND the putting away. In verse 3 the Pharisees skipped the writing of divorcement and simply asked about “putting away”. They were asking about this quite common practice.

Jesus tells them that whoever puts away his wife and marries another (referring to their question in verse 3) has committed adultery. Jesus also states that whoever marries the woman put away commits adultery. Why is this? Because merely putting away a woman without a writing of divorcement leaves the marriage fully intact in God’s sight. One had to issue the writing of divorcement per the Law of Moses to have the right to remarry.

Let’s look at the Gospel of Luke:
Luke 16:13-18
{16:13} No servant can serve two masters: for either he
will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to
the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and
mammon. {16:14} And the Pharisees also, who were
covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
{16:15} And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify
yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for
that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in
the sight of God. {16:16} The law and the prophets [were]
until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached,
and every man presseth into it. {16:17} And it is easier for
heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
{16:18} Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth
another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her
that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.
Notice that the focus of Jesus is serving God and money. The text points out that the Pharisees were scandalously covetous. Jesus rebukes their efforts to justify themselves before men and speaks of the eternality of the Law of God. Then Jesus throws putting away and remarriage up again. Jesus states that whoever puts a wife away, and marries another commits adultery. And whoever marries her that is put way commits adultery. Why was this thrown in right here? Again, Jesus is addressing their greed and covetousness with regards to them “putting away” their wives without the “get” and thereby claiming their right to keep the dowry, remarry, and leave their wives bound.

Jesus is rebuking the greed and abuse found among the Pharisees and defending women from their abuse and bondage by declaring that men who do this are adulterers if they remarry… and they “causeth her to commit adultery” if she remarries (clearly a sin on their hands).
Genesis
Chapter 2
24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

I was told to ask you to give us all another 1 of your expert analogy of where this fits in to all that above that you have so gratefully graced our presence with. You can choose whomever you want as to whom you want to believe, told me to ask you this. Jesus or the devil.

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Banned

Re: God does not accept sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertcarring View Post
Genesis
Chapter 2
24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

I was told to ask you to give us all another 1 of your expert analogy of where this fits in to all that above that you have so gratefully graced our presence with.
You’ll note something. There isn’t a prescribed “wedding ceremony” in the Bible. These are primarily cultural mores to be observed. The idea behind these customs is to establish both social and legal obligation between spouses. That’s a marriage regardless of ceremony, judge, preacher, or captain on board a ship. The “one flesh” relationship is one where in the two are viewed as one in God’s eyes and are physically one in physical union. This expresses the state of this relationship until death or divorcement.

Quote:
You can choose whomever you want as to whom you want to believe, told me to ask you this. Jesus or the devil.

Thank you.
I don’t think God or the devil told you these things. I believe that this is an honest question from a very solid individual with a strong opinion on the matter. I wish you wouldn’t deflect responsibility for your own thoughts and conclusions to God or Satan. You are a thinking being. Own your thoughts. This is one of the most striking elements of your posts. The vast majority of people who write like you do with “God told me this” or “God told me that” are trying to elevate their opinions above reproach because they either can’t defend their positions… or they feel insecure in their positions. Sadly, many do this because they were spiritually abused. To elevate their thoughts above reproach (claim they are God’s) allows them to insulate themselves from criticism (which often hurts). They do this because they come from a spiritual environment wherein they were heavily criticized, attacked, and their own thoughts, opinions, and even identity was denied them. So in elevating their thoughts and claiming they are God’s… the person can psychologically position themselves wherein they have the strength to speak their voice… but the idealistic protection of claiming it’s not their own thoughts, they are someone else’s (God’s).

You are a child of God with a bright mind. Your thoughts are your thoughts, part of your very identity, and you have a right to them. You have a right to own your thoughts…or identity. You have the right to place it in Christ alone and stand before mankind as an individual. You have the right to be right. You have the right to be wrong. You have the right to change your opinion should some information from any source convince you that your original position was flawed in some way. You have a right to be on the journey of life learning daily. The “God told me so” thing… it weakens your position. Why? Because way too many people have pulled that to spiritually abuse. That’s most likely where you learned it. So the moment we hear this… eh… we turn you off. Now… if God speaks to you… just word it like this, “I strongly feel in my spirit that…” Guess what… you didn’t blame God… but you didn’t deny that God may have spoken to you. The Holy Spirit will then work on the hearts of your readers should something be from God. There will be a spiritual “confirmation” between your understanding and their own. You’ll be amazed at how many people will begin to see truth in what you say. He who wins souls… must be wise. Also… worst case scenario… let’s say a “deceiving spirit” spoke to you pretending to be God. These spirits have fooled the greatest of men. Don’t become so high minded as to think they cannot deceive you. Let any man who thinks he stands, take heed, lest he fall! If a deceiving spirit speaks to you as though he is God… and you give him credit as being God… you’ve not only possibly deceived someone unintentionally… but you’ve attributed a lie to God (blasphemy). Speak from the heart, and allow God to draw others. Speak from the heart and allow yourself the right to be right or mistaken. Own your thoughts and identity. Don’t hide behind the “God told me” stuff. It will actually turn more from God than lead them to God. Think of it like this… on occasion Jesus told people not to tell things he said or did. He didn’t just broadcast, “I am God.” No. He spoke as a man who loved His Father. He was humble. He left room for mystery. And this… drew people faster than wild proclamations ever could because he engaged their minds and stimulated their thoughts and prejudices.

Hopefully IF God were speaking to someone on your behalf... you'd have the spiritual discernment to see it or hear it. It could change your life and ministry. Not to mention... claiming something is from God when it isn't will take a heavy emotional and spiritual toll... because at the core of your being, you know the truth. Even if you've convinced your own mind that it is God. It will drain you until you have nothing left and you find that you're entire religion is a house of mirrors and illusions. Not a pretty place to end up. Don't let that happen to you. If you have ears to hear... I pray that you listen. If you do... you will find healing for your soul.

God bless.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-23-2012 at 08:12 AM.