Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Re: Is Apostolic CUSSIN' sinful?

Interesting blog post:

What does it really mean to take the Lord's name in vain?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Banned

The author was Anne Lamott in her novel "Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott."

Pel, unfortunately, I'm not allowed to spell that one out for you. You'll just have to use your imagination!

Describing her conversion:

I was appalled. I thought about my life and my brilliant hilarious progressive friends, I thought about what everyone would think of me if I became a Christian, and it seemed an utterly impossible thing that simply could not be allowed to happen. I turned to the wall and said out loud, ‘I would rather die’…

One week later, when I went back to church, I was so hungover that I couldn’t stand up for the songs, and this time I stayed for the sermon, which I just thought was so ridiculous, like someone trying to convince me of the existence of extraterrestrials, but the last song was so deep and raw and pure that I could not escape. It was as if the people were singing in between the notes, weeping and joyful at the same time, and I felt like their voices or something was rocking me in its bosom, holding me like a scared kid, and I opened up to that feeling– and it washed over me.

I began to cry and left before the benediction, and I raced home and felt the little cat running along at my heels and I walked down the dock past dozens of potted flowers, under a sky as blue as one of God’s own dreams, and I opened the door to my houseboat, and I stood there a minute, and then I hung my head and said, ‘F*** it: I quit.’ I took a long deep breath and said out loud, ‘All right. You can come in.’

- Anne Lamott in Traveling Mercies, 49-50.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
Wow. I enjoyed the blog, and of course I agree!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

I don't know about you, but I found that conversion story beautiful.

Being in the flow of the story helps as well.... but even that snippet that I posted was incredible. What a picture of fleshly surrender. A violent caving in to the Hound of Heaven... and what a loving, gracious, faithful GOD!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

my momma said it it, so that is the gospel, lol
Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I don't know about you, but I found that conversion story beautiful.

Being in the flow of the story helps as well.... but even that snippet that I posted was incredible. What a picture of fleshly surrender. A violent caving in to the Hound of Heaven... and what a loving, gracious, faithful GOD!
Is that book worth a read? I need to add it to my list if it is.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Just weighing in... forgive me as I didn't read all 10 pages, stopped at 3...

For an organization expounding holiness, I see a lot of inconsistency when it comes to the words I've witnessed come across a UPC pulpit.

If the man of GOD is going to bring thoughts to people's minds that one wouldn't say because it would be publicly indecent, then maybe the man of GOD needs to get right before he gets left.

Every euphemism or what have you is a substitution, generally for an "f" word or an "s" word. In fact, I'm sure you know what words I'm talking about, as does an entire congregation who hears "flying fajita." Sure, it's a funny saying, but Preacher... what words are you making your congregation think of? If my 9 year old daughter repeated something like that, that she heard euphemistically being tossed across the pulpit, I'm not sure whose mouth would get washed with soap first... the preacher or her.

(seriously tho, i wouldn't soap my daughter's mouth, and don't want someone calling cps because of a forum post lol)
Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

wow i really dug that one up... didn't even look at the date lol
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

What do you mean by taking God's name in vain?

By taking God's name in vain I mean taking it without reverence, as in cursing or using in a light and careless manner, as in exclamation.

What are we commanded by the second Commandment?

We are commanded by the second Commandment to speak with reverence of God and of the saints, and of all holy things, and to keep our lawful oaths and vows.

It is sinful to use the words of Holy Scripture in a bad or worldly sense, to joke in them or ridicule their sacred meaning, or in general to give them any meaning but the one we believe God has intended them to convey.

What is an oath?

An oath is the calling upon God to witness the truth of what we say.

What is a vow?

A vow is a deliberate promise made to God to do something that is pleasing to Him.
Dear Lord, so far today I'm doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or self-indulgent. I have not whined, complained or cursed. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute, and I think I will really need your help then.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

suffering succotash, holy smokes, holy cow, one pastor said cows aint holy, to which my buddy said they are when i shoot em.what in sam hill,stink, oh shoot,fudge,