Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Pride of the Neighborhood

How Can You Decry Torture, Support Drone Killings?

How can one denounce enhanced interrogations like water boarding (calling it torture) and support Obama's campaign of drone killings? I support both enhanced interrogations and drone killings. One exception I would make is that the drone killings might cause us to miss important intel because we don't apprehend the terrorist and interrogate him. But isn't it a bit hypocritical to decry enhanced interrogations but support drones?

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

Re: How Can You Decry Torture, Support Drone Killi

He is killing for votes as long as they get em i dont care the reasoning ,whats next? bomb Gitmo by mistake ? See i told ya id close it like i said )

Last edited by canam; 05-30-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

personally I support "torture" and drone killings and anything else to take 'em out.

In the Old Testament, God did his share of killing by using His people, and in the New Testament He talks about civil government bearing a sword (Romans 13:1-7)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
personally I support "torture" and drone killings and anything else to take 'em out.

In the Old Testament, God did his share of killing by using His people, and in the New Testament He talks about civil government bearing a sword (Romans 13:1-7)
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Wait until the next generation drones come out.
About the size of a hummingbird, packed with explosives and a camera.
Scary stuff.
I'll try to find a link...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
How can one denounce enhanced interrogations like water boarding (calling it torture) and support Obama's campaign of drone killings? I support both enhanced interrogations and drone killings. One exception I would make is that the drone killings might cause us to miss important intel because we don't apprehend the terrorist and interrogate him. But isn't it a bit hypocritical to decry enhanced interrogations but support drones?
Obama's increased use of the Drone Killing Program was one of the few pleasant surprises for me from the Obama administration.

It can't really be justified within liberal pacifist dogma so I believe the explanation is that Obama justifies it to himself by thinking using this remote method to kill the head or heads of the snake (al queda) is better than committing actual tropps and manned aircraft.

I also think this shows that whatever dogma liberals profess to have they always make exceptions for themselves to violate it. In the same way that they preach love and tolerance for all except they don't extend that to consevatives or anybody who disagrees with them.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
I think you are mixing apples and oranges.

There isn't much suffering in drone killing and usually when drones are used, it is not to get intel from perpetrators-- it is to kill perpetrators.

The real debate is whether intel gleaned from waterboarding and other torture methods is even good intel in the first place. Some say it is, some say it isn't.

It was my combat experience that for we were more succesful in a softer approach, once the bad guys were captured and not killed.

Torturing twisted people often only solidifies their resolve and commitment to their twisted value system that tells them that after they have suffer and even die for allah's sake, they will be blessed in eternity with relations with many virgins!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Think about it!

If a Christian was captured and began to be tortured for a cause seen as directly related to the Cause of Christ, that Christian wouldn't break so easily. Clear Bible promises will encourage that Christian to endure until the end, knowing that at the end there is a Crown of Life for those who remain faithful.

An up front assault on a Christian's most holy faith will not be as effective at getting that Christian to betray the Cause of Christ as that Christian will see their sufferring as an opportunity to please our GOD and Savior.

That same Christian will choose food over fasting much more easily.

That same Christian will choose tv or Bible reading much more easily.

That same Christian will simply neglect prayer much more easily when presented with the hustle of everyday life.

That same Christian will work 6 days a week to enjoy this or that-- giving thought to God for about 45 minutes on a Sunday morning, only if that Christian is not on vacation.

Conquering your enemy is not always best accomplished through blatant violence-- ask the backslidden children of your Christian neighbor.

I don't think torture is anything that our government should utilize or endorse-- especially when dealing with twisted thinking.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 05-31-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post

...That same Christian will choose food over fasting much more easily.

That same Christian will choose tv or Bible reading much more easily.

That same Christian will simply neglect prayer much more easily when presented with the hustle of everyday life.

That same Christian will work 6 days a week to enjoy this or that-- giving thought to God for about 45 minutes on a Sunday morning, only if that Christian is not on vacation. ...

I think the brother has done quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I think you are mixing apples and oranges.

There isn't much suffering in drone killing and usually when drones are used, it is not to get intel from perpetrators-- it is to kill perpetrators.

The real debate is whether intel gleaned from waterboarding and other torture methods is even good intel in the first place. Some say it is, some say it isn't.

It was my combat experience that for we were more succesful in a softer approach, once the bad guys were captured and not killed.

Torturing twisted people often only solidifies their resolve and commitment to their twisted value system that tells them that after they have suffer and even die for allah's sake, they will be blessed in eternity with relations with many virgins!
I used the word "torture" in the title of this thread because that's what the opponents of enhanced interrogations call them, and because it fit better in the limited space than "enhanced interrogations". Lol.

Water boarding and sleep deprivation, while causing anxiety or stress, have been determined not to be life threatening. Therefore I don't think it's fair to cause it torture. Torture to me is something that injures the body, causing enormous amounts of pain, suffering and threatens the victim with death. Enhanced interrogations don't do that. It might cause some panic, some frustration, some pressure, but nothing like torture.

The former head of the EI program recently wrote a book and was interviewed on 60 Minutes about the EI program and stated definitely that KSM and others offered vast amounts of intel as a result of EI. People can argue the pros and cons of EI, but those in the know of what was actually procured as a result of EI say that manynlives were saved as a result and that OBL was found and snuffed out directly bc of what we garnered from EI.

Obviously drones aren't for exacting intelligence, but the question is, do we kill AQ and other terrorist leaders so quickly, or do we find a way to apprehend them so we can continue to harvest intel from them. It's a good question. But in the end I support both EI and drones.

My question is how can people decry EI but then stay silent on the drones? There's no guarantee that innocent victims aren't collateral damage when taking out these men with drones. In fact we've had some mistakes with the drones and killed innocents as a result.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.