Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Sister Alvear

Re: Dottie Rambo's Funeral

I listened to some of Dottie's songs last night...I wept thinking how her voice will be missed...
I think it is a lack of ethics to discuss her eternal destiny...UNLESS some of us think we are God...if not ..then refrain from judging...
I would not want to have the responsibility of judging anyone...especially with all my faults and failures...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Sister Alvear

so true...
I have not been in good health for a couple years...I guess as we see our strength fail we realize how fragil we really are and how strong God is...love you friend.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM
PastorRobbieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Pastor View Post
Glad you got all that off your chest. You feel better?

A couple of points, as it is late and I am ready for bed.

1. Paul thought long hair on women was pretty important. He included it it the same chapter as the communion. Do you think communion is pretty important?

2. There are legalists, true. However, faith and works are inseparable. Both exist as a function of one another. Faith, regardless of how vehemently or forcefully declared, without the accompaning works, is, well, um..... it's dead, I guess. Oh, yeah. That's in the Bible too.

3. The sinner's prayer is recited by millions. Man made as far as I can tell.

4. Lastly, not to split hairs, (not a refrence to point 1) but I can't find where there is a statement that says only "It will simply be based upon whether or not you were washed in the Blood of Christ by faith" followed by a period.

There is so much more to read. 27 whole books in the NT alone (that's if we throw out all those archaic OT books) by last count. I wonder why all that is there, if your one sentence, followed by that great PERIOD, is all that is required?

I guess God is somewhat of a rambler, like some preachers. He just keeps talking about all of these totally irrelevant things like holiness, godliness, fruitfulness, baptism, tounges, following Christ, forsaking sin, having the spirit of Christ, pressing toward the mark, abstaining from fleshly lusts, blah, blah, blah, blah...... Let's just tune him out, like we do that rambling preacher. Just holler "amen" every once in a while, just to show him you are listening. Oh, wait, yelling "amen" might be construed as a work. Not necessary. Sorry, I'm rambling!

I hope you are enoying your liberty. You probably paid a high price for it. For only those who follow peace and holiness really see God.

As for Dottie, I love her songs. I sincerely hope she made it, as I hope I will.

You're kidding? Those things are in the Bible? HA... I know all of the arguments. I used to make the same lousy arguments myself. You're so correct... All of the things that you mentioned are in the Bible. Nobody's questioning that and nobody's saying that they're not important, but they are taken out of context and people are basing their salvation on them. That's wrong!

James 2:17 (NIV) "In the same manner, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action (works) it is dead!" There is no denying that, however it is taken out of context. The works are a product of true saving faith. Not simply believing that God is, but believing that Christ died for you and at the Cross He became our substitute, took our place, took our punishment and it's HIS WORK THERE that bought salvation, not my own works. When you truly have a living faith that recognizes who you are and what He's done for you, it will produce good works in your life. Those works however, do not save you. His work does. Our works are simply a sign of a living faith. Many do good works, yet have no faith whatsoever. Many claim to have saving faith, but there are no works accompanying that claim, so their faith is dead. But the works are simply a sign of the faith.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV) "For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the Gift of God - [B]not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's Workmanship, created In Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. That word Grace means "God's unearned, unmerited, undeserved favor". It is by His unEARNED favor that we have been saved through our faith. It's not based on our works, if it were, then we could brag and boast about what we've done, about how righteous and holy we are. NO!!! There is NO MAN who can take any credit for his salvation. It is CHRIST! CHRIST! CHRIST! He's saved us to do good works, but we don't do good works to be saved. We do the good and the right BECAUSE we're saved, not in order to BE saved.

I look back at my 36 years in the UPC and I never heard anyone say this directly, but the doctrine, attitude and motive expressed it. It was as though we were saying, "Jesus, we really appreciate you coming to earth and living the life that You lived and dying the way that You died. We realize that You did it all for us and we know that You really tried, but Jesus, we're not sure that Your work was enough, so we're gonna work also and add this work to Your work and hopefully that will be enough." If your method of salvation is the Cross plus anything, you're in error. It's still the CROSS! That's the message that the Apostles preached and that's still the only way. Galatians 2:21, "I do not set aside the Grace of God, for if righteousness could be GAINED through the Law, Christ died for nothing!"

Also, you're right. The sinner's prayer is "Man-Made" and there are many people who are repeating the words of a preacher, who are not being converted, yet are told they're saved because they said that. It's a heresy as well and I believe there will be many preachers with the blood of many souls on their hands in judgment.

Romans 10:9 (NIV) "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL be saved. There are far too many who are simply repeating empty, vain words, yet nothing is happening in their heart, therefore no change has taken place, therefore, they are lost.

Sir, I believe every word of the Bible to be true and absolute, but I believe in putting it in it's proper context. I firmly believe in Holiness and Godliness and Repentance and Fruitfulness, etc. They are NOT irrelevant and I never said that. Works are important and highly relevant, but THEY DO NOT SAVE!!! A desire for Holiness will come when the Lord comes to live on the inside of an individual. However, Holiness isn't about dressing like you're still living in 1920. It's about living your faith out. It's about being separate from the world, in that you follow Christ whole-heartedly and not the things of this world. But it's not about long skirts, long sleeves, etc. Lord, this could go on forever. Jesus has come and freed us from the Law, by fulfilling it for us. However, UPC women aren't permitted to wear pants, because of Deuteronomy 22:5, which states that a man isn't to wear a woman's garment and a woman isn't to wear a man's garment. First of all, there's a big difference between men's pants and women's pants. They're not the same, but that's not even the point. The point is this, if you're going to make an entire doctrine out of 1 scripture in Deuteronomy 22, then you've got to live by it all. James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." If you're going to live by Deuteronomy 22:5 or at least require your women to do so, then you are also required to live by the rest of 22 and the rest of the entire Law for that matter.

I'm going to close now with one last thing. I hope to see you in glory one day. The difference in us, is that I believe you're saved, you just have some doctrinal errors, but you don't believe I'm saved because my doctrine is different. I'll see you in glory my Brother!

Gratefully in His grip,
Pastor Robbie
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorRobbieB View Post
You're kidding? Those things are in the Bible? HA... I know all of the arguments. I used to make the same lousy arguments myself. You're so correct... All of the things that you mentioned are in the Bible. Nobody's questioning that and nobody's saying that they're not important, but they are taken out of context and people are basing their salvation on them. That's wrong!

James 2:17 (NIV) "In the same manner, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action (works) it is dead!" There is no denying that, however it is taken out of context. The works are a product of true saving faith. Not simply believing that God is, but believing that Christ died for you and at the Cross He became our substitute, took our place, took our punishment and it's HIS WORK THERE that bought salvation, not my own works. When you truly have a living faith that recognizes who you are and what He's done for you, it will produce good works in your life. Those works however, do not save you. His work does. Our works are simply a sign of a living faith. Many do good works, yet have no faith whatsoever. Many claim to have saving faith, but there are no works accompanying that claim, so their faith is dead. But the works are simply a sign of the faith.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV) "For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the Gift of God - [b]not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's Workmanship, created In Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. That word Grace means "God's unearned, unmerited, undeserved favor". It is by His unEARNED favor that we have been saved through our faith. It's not based on our works, if it were, then we could brag and boast about what we've done, about how righteous and holy we are. NO!!! There is NO MAN who can take any credit for his salvation. It is CHRIST! CHRIST! CHRIST! He's saved us to do good works, but we don't do good works to be saved. We do the good and the right BECAUSE we're saved, not in order to BE saved.

I look back at my 36 years in the UPC and I never heard anyone say this directly, but the doctrine, attitude and motive expressed it. It was as though we were saying, "Jesus, we really appreciate you coming to earth and living the life that You lived and dying the way that You died. We realize that You did it all for us and we know that You really tried, but Jesus, we're not sure that Your work was enough, so we're gonna work also and add this work to Your work and hopefully that will be enough." If your method of salvation is the Cross plus anything, you're in error. It's still the CROSS! That's the message that the Apostles preached and that's still the only way. Galatians 2:21, "I do not set aside the Grace of God, for if righteousness could be GAINED through the Law, Christ died for nothing!"

Also, you're right. The sinner's prayer is "Man-Made" and there are many people who are repeating the words of a preacher, who are not being converted, yet are told they're saved because they said that. It's a heresy as well and I believe there will be many preachers with the blood of many souls on their hands in judgment.

Romans 10:9 (NIV) "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL be saved. There are far too many who are simply repeating empty, vain words, yet nothing is happening in their heart, therefore no change has taken place, therefore, they are lost.

Sir, I believe every word of the Bible to be true and absolute, but I believe in putting it in it's proper context. I firmly believe in Holiness and Godliness and Repentance and Fruitfulness, etc. They are NOT irrelevant and I never said that. Works are important and highly relevant, but THEY DO NOT SAVE!!! A desire for Holiness will come when the Lord comes to live on the inside of an individual. However, Holiness isn't about dressing like you're still living in 1920. It's about living your faith out. It's about being separate from the world, in that you follow Christ whole-heartedly and not the things of this world. But it's not about long skirts, long sleeves, etc. Lord, this could go on forever. Jesus has come and freed us from the Law, by fulfilling it for us. However, UPC women aren't permitted to wear pants, because of Deuteronomy 22:5, which states that a man isn't to wear a woman's garment and a woman isn't to wear a man's garment. First of all, there's a big difference between men's pants and women's pants. They're not the same, but that's not even the point. The point is this, if you're going to make an entire doctrine out of 1 scripture in Deuteronomy 22, then you've got to live by it all. James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." If you're going to live by Deuteronomy 22:5 or at least require your women to do so, then you are also required to live by the rest of 22 and the rest of the entire Law for that matter.

I'm going to close now with one last thing. I hope to see you in glory one day. The difference in us, is that I believe you're saved, you just have some doctrinal errors, but you don't believe I'm saved because my doctrine is different. I'll see you in glory my Brother!

Gratefully in His grip,
Pastor Robbie

For Dottie's sake, can you guys take this to another thread!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

I think it's a disgrace that admin has allowed all these negative comments to continue unchecked. Typically, when admin admonishes someone, the rest of the board leaves the issue alone or takes it to PM. Not so on this thread, and it isn't right. Not one single comment against anyone for slamming 1Cor. So much for impartiality.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Yup. The singing at this funeral was amazing. I don't know Southern gospel groups but two or three of them were particularly amazing.

The harmony on "Mama's Teaching Angels How to Sing" and another one of the songs was particularly good. I am sure I will be able to find out later the names of the various groups and people that sang the songs with the choir.
CC, the Isaacs is the group that did "Mama's Teaching Angels....." They are amazing and heard they're rendition of this Rambo classic was as well.

BTW, Babbie Mason is the female artist that sang with Jesse Dixon on "I go to the Rock". I understand it got somewhat "churchy" during that song!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I think it's a disgrace that admin has allowed all these negative comments to continue unchecked. Typically, when admin admonishes someone, the rest of the board leaves the issue alone or takes it to PM. Not so on this thread, and it isn't right. Not one single comment against anyone for slamming 1Cor. So much for impartiality.
A friendly reminder!

We are not omnipresent! We do not read every thread and every post.

I do not see one reported post EXCEPT one of ICorth's. It has been handled.

Before you speak against Admin, maybe you could do your part of the self-moderating board and report the troublesome posts.

From this point on PLEASE NO MORE DISCUSSION about the eternal resting place of Dottie in these threads.

The Admin Team
*AQuietPlace*
CC1
Esther
Hoovie
Prax
The Mrs
votivesoul

Take a moment to review the Forum Rules by clicking here.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
"I am a friend of God"...sing it!

CC1 Thanks MUCH for the info! She influenced my life greatly with such good songs that she wrote inspired by the Lord.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
A friendly reminder!

We are not omnipresent! We do not read every thread and every post.

I do not see one reported post EXCEPT one of ICorth's. It has been handled.

Before you speak against Admin, maybe you could do your part of the self-moderating board and report the troublesome posts.

From this point on PLEASE NO MORE DISCUSSION about the eternal resting place of Dottie in these threads.
Glad I got your attention.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Sister Alvear

thanks...admin. team
Love you folks.