Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

no sweat...and you guys already know my nomination for 'food with the longest shelf life,' but--"honey!" 3000 years and counting
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Administrator

I finally bought my Berkey water filter! I got the Royal Berkey that filters about 3 gallons at a time. Right now we are just using 2 ceramic filters in it for daily use. When we can work it in the budget we are going to get 4 of the Berkey black filters that are even better than the ceramic ones and maybe even 4 of the fluorride filters that you can add also.

The cotton pickin' Black filters are $107 a pair so $214 for four! However this water filter system is amazing. It is used by NGO's, Peac Corp, etc in third world countries all over the world to provide safe drinking water for aid workers. If you aren't familiar with Berkey water filter's you need to google the name and do some research.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I finally bought my Berkey water filter! I got the Royal Berkey that filters about 3 gallons at a time. Right now we are just using 2 ceramic filters in it for daily use. When we can work it in the budget we are going to get 4 of the Berkey black filters that are even better than the ceramic ones and maybe even 4 of the fluorride filters that you can add also.

The cotton pickin' Black filters are $107 a pair so $214 for four! However this water filter system is amazing. It is used by NGO's, Peac Corp, etc in third world countries all over the world to provide safe drinking water for aid workers. If you aren't familiar with Berkey water filter's you need to google the name and do some research.
I have had my Berkey for a long time now...the filters last a long time when your just using tap water...we are in the process of putting an IBC (275 gals) together which we will have a gravel, sand, charcoal filter on the top of. It will be drinkable water also.

In the news the past few days seeing what is happening with people stranded in their cars, etc...you should always travel with emergency supplies in your car, esp. in the winter! We have water, blankets, and freeze dried food we take with us. If the weather looked questionable I would add a few more things...

We live in Oregon and I am pretty sure we are going to have a critical drought this year, we have had little to no rain and very little snow pack...not good for famers or us who have gardens or yards, forest fires will probably be bad this year too...California is already having major water shortages.

Being prepared is always good, because you just don't know what is going to be happening in so many areas of life...water is by far the hardest part of prep...being sure to have enough on hand!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Don't ask.

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
In the news the past few days seeing what is happening with people stranded in their cars, etc...you should always travel with emergency supplies in your car, esp. in the winter! We have water, blankets, and freeze dried food we take with us. If the weather looked questionable I would add a few more things...
Today, I went to the post office. I thought they would have plowed the roads but they hadn't! I slipped and slid all the way there and slipped and slid all the way home. I figured our driveway would be the end of me. And it was. We have a longer driveway and it's at the end of it but I sure was glad to get home! It was just a 3 mile round trip but felt like a lot longer!!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM
On the road less traveled

We are getting 9" of snow here today, approx. Haven't had my driveway plowed all winter, but today is the day... my guy is on his way to plow us out. I got my wish! YEAH! I love snow, especially when I can stay at home and watch it gently fall, and it is not too bad to drive in, unless there is too much of it, lol. We don't get wind here with our snow, it just falls gently, and is just beautiful.

We definitely keep supplies in our vehicles. You just never know when you might need them. Our supplies include a shovel, chains for the tires, water, freeze dried food, blankets, flashlights, matches, some books on survival, and a huge first aid kit. I am sure there are other things we should have, but those are the basics.