Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

New here

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member here who is currently Catholic, but searching for truth and I feel like I'm being drawn to the apostolic church. I attended a UPC church down at my school, but after seeing a terrible legalistic fallout with a friend who no longer wanted to attend anymore I have been a little weary. I did however love the on fire service and on my first visit I got the holy ghost which to me proved to me how real God's spirit is. I look forward to being a hopeful member as I take this journey towards figuring things out in my faith life.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: New here

Welcome to AFF.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookietime View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself...
Hi! I hope your search is rewarded; I began life as an Apostolic, and tho I have moved on, I learned a lot from their view. There is a pretty good mix here, Catholics, etc.

Also, I like cookies. Just sayin'.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Cookie, welcome to AFF!

You sound like a smart person and, I think if you do some homework you will find an Apostolic church that is balanced and has the Holy Spirit working in their midst. I hope things work out for you.

Blessings!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
of 9!! :)

Hey and welcome.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome I've lurked off and on and finally decided to take the plunge and register while I figure out the direction God wants me to go.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome I've lurked off and on and finally decided to take the plunge and register while I figure out the direction God wants me to go.
I'm pretty sure God wants you to send us all some homemade cookies : )

Um, and ps, what makes you think that you are not excellently serving God
right at this moment, where you are?

Lol, i think we spend a lot of time on "anywhere but here," me too,
when Here is the only place you can be?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Smile Re: New here

Praise the Lord , My name is Robin and I am a new member. As I was reading over some of the post I felt that maybe this is a place I can grow and rekindle the flames of my soul. A place of friendship regardless of differences.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisrbn View Post
Praise the Lord , My name is Robin and I am a new member. As I was reading over some of the post I felt that maybe this is a place I can grow and rekindle the flames of my soul. A place of friendship regardless of differences.
Welcome to AFF.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member here who is currently Catholic, but searching for truth and I feel like I'm being drawn to the apostolic church. I attended a UPC church down at my school, but after seeing a terrible legalistic fallout with a friend who no longer wanted to attend anymore I have been a little weary. I did however love the on fire service and on my first visit I got the holy ghost which to me proved to me how real God's spirit is. I look forward to being a hopeful member as I take this journey towards figuring things out in my faith life.
As a former Catholic, I know the feeling you felt for the first time of the power of the Holy Ghost. I was in my early twenties when I started seeking Christ. It seemed as though the devil was sending all sorts of people my way. My goodness! I've had Mormon's and Jehovah Witnesses knock on my door during this time of seeking. I let them in because I wanted to hear what they had to say. The Mormons? A duo brought a film projector to my apartment to view. I found their film about Joseph Smith, the angel Nephi and book of mormon to be incredibly unbelievable. I nixed them almost immediately. I had interactions with J.W.'s most all my life and still do, but I do not believe they have truth. They know their bible, but imo, they do not see the importance of what Christ done for us on the Cross or that no man can see God except through Him. So I've decided that these were deflections to keep me from finding the truth. But, I also met a quiet, pentecostal girl at work who told me about pentecostal services when I asked. In fact, I asked many people about their denominational belief systems.

I went to a Baptist church for several months. I "accepted" Christ there, but always felt that there was more to it than just "acceptance" of Christ. I know feelings are unreliable, but my feelings were all I had in regards to finding God. I was alone in the city, no family and desperately needing God.

One day as I was headed towards the Baptist church for Sunday service, I turned left instead and headed towards the UPC church for Sunday morning service. I sat down in the back pew and the power of the Spirit was so strong that I cried and cried throughout the service. I could not control myself. I thought to myself that these people are going to think I am nuts for just sitting there and crying. I must say though, this all happened at a time when my life was falling apart and I did not know what to do.

This is where I felt "home".

Let me tell you, when I got baptized in Jesus Name, it was the cleanest, most refreshing feeling I had ever had in my entire life. UPC has got it right when it comes to seeking the Lord Jesus, being baptized in Jesus Name and the infilling of the Holy Ghost.

My problem is that I became weary of some of the people's emphasis on the legalism and hearing snide remarks from people about others dress or hair. Some of these people, imo put standards above what is really the most important thing in UPC or other oneness churches...and that is Jesus Christ and taking on His name in baptism. Going on to live a holy life to me is more of the matter of following the Holy Spirit, who will lead us and guide us into all truths and into godly living.

If you were to want some advice from this former Catholic person, my unsolicited advice would be to find a Oneness church and get baptized in Jesus Name since you received the Holy Spirit. Then after that, you can stay and see for yourself if you want to identify with the standards or not. Standards should not be bigger than baptism and infilling of the Holy Ghost, but you would have to pray and check it all out for yourself and not go by anybody else's experience but your own.