Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: *EXPLOSIVE* TF Tenney Preached 4 Phillips Sund

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
I don't know if I speak in tongues. I wouldn't go to a church where people didn't believe in the operation of the spiritual gifts. However, I can't honestly say that I have ever spoke in tongues where there was a definite language coming from me. At times I have felt my tongue become loose or possible speaking a few words in tongues but I don't speak in tongues. I have however felt the power of God and I would say that I have experienced the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

so tongues accompanies everyone's Spirit baptism but yours?????

hmmmm
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Amos knows the church I attended for 27 years. I would consider it a very typical UPC church. You guys just don't get it, I grew up in a household where there was speaking in tongues going on all the time. My dad, mom, and sister were basically "super spiritual" folks but I have never been able to make it happen and I have seriously tried. It just makes me mad that I wasted so much energy on trying to speak in tongues.
And now we know what the problem is!

You're trying to "make it happen"

You can't make it happen because it's not your gift to give.

Let GOD fill you with the Holy Ghost....you WILL speak in tongues. (please notice I didn't say anything about your salvation....I don't want you to confuse doctrines again)

There is a difference between you and the group of members on AFF that don't believe tongues are "necessary" for salvation........
ALL of them HAVE spoken in tongues....

you haven't...............but you can.

Let God make it happen, bro.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPastor View Post
you seemed confused about what Oneness Pentecostals believe.

Are you sure you were really Oneness???

I said 24 million Oneness believers......you start talking about salvation.
Two totally seperate doctrines. You know that right?

You also know that in your 2.1 billion number they include Catholics...though seeing as you might be confused on doctrine, I'm not sure what you think of the Catholic church.
In a previous post we were talking about salvation including speaking in tongues so that is why I asked if there were 24 million Oneness believers who taught new birth after speaking in tongues and baptism.

I don't think I am confused about doctrine at all. If Catholicism is included in Christianity then maybe I should included only Protestant denominations in the calculation. Still if there are 500 million "pentecostals" or charismatics in the world then 24 million Oneness believers is about 4% of the pentecostal population.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Mark I don't know what all the rules encompass but I was under the impression that was preaching to UPC and not Non-upc???

I don't know what the general rules are for this either.

Is it just a curteousy call ?

If a Supt. came to town and preached a large Baptist church for instance, should this leader call the local pastor or is it not neccessary ?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPastor View Post
And now we know what the problem is!

You're trying to "make it happen"

You can't make it happen because it's not your gift to give.

Let GOD fill you with the Holy Ghost....you WILL speak in tongues. (please notice I didn't say anything about your salvation....I don't want you to confuse doctrines again)

There is a difference between you and the group of members on AFF that don't believe tongues are "necessary" for salvation........
ALL of them HAVE spoken in tongues....

you haven't...............but you can.

Let God make it happen, bro.
I am not saying I haven't spoken in tongues but that I am not sure. The night that I was at youth camp as a child I was sick and tired of not being saved so I figured I was close enough and I said I got the Holy Ghost. No one disagreed but I can't honestly say with 100% certainty that I really spoke in tongues.

I have prayed in the altars for years and shouted and did everything that a pentecostal youth was supposed to do yet I don't ever remember speaking in another language.

This might come as a surprise to many who have known me for many years because they always though I had the Holy Ghost. I just have to be honest with myself and I can't lie anymore.

I have met many in UPC churches that don't speak in tongues and no one really says anything to them about them not being saved but at one time or another they went down to the altar and were convinced that they spoke in tongues.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
I am saddened by this post.
Hey don't be sad. Just forget I said all of that.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Hey don't be sad. Just forget I said all of that.
No.. No.. no... Can't forget.

In my own experience, the first time I spoke in tongues.. it happened like this:

I was at the altar pouring out my heart to God. Everything and everyone around me became silent. I couldn't hear the music.. or the saints shouting all around me.
I heard myself speaking to God in English amidst the silence. I was worshipping Him. I don't know how long this took place.. next thing I know, I can hear all the music and the people again. And just soon as I heard them, I could hear myself speaking in tongues.

I have a friend who is no longer in church. He was one of those who tarried for several yrs...
At youth conference we all heard him speak in tongues. It wasn't "lalalala"
He seemed fluent in a language. But, when he stopped praying... he got up and was frustrated and said that he didn't get the Holy Ghost.
This sorta thing happened to another guy that I knew...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Doesn't the UPC require UPC licensed ministers to seek permission from local UPC pastors before ministering in their cities? Do you think David Bernard gave Tenney permission to preach at Promiseland?
That is news to me. I'm not sure if anyone would expect every preacher to make that many phone calls everytime he came to Houston...there are a bunch of churches in this area. I know that that doesn't happen everytime we invite somebody.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Pot Stirrer

Delta Brother,

I have always said and will say again, I have seen MANY preachers & evangelist hype people into speaking in tongues to inflate numbers. I've watched it done sitting on the platofrm and could only shake my head. I don't blame the people they are not at fault.

having said that, when you get the REAL holy ghost you will have NO doubts about it my brother. believe me.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMark View Post
I don't know what the general rules are for this either.

Is it just a curteousy call ?

If a Supt. came to town and preached a large Baptist church for instance, should this leader call the local pastor or is it not neccessary ?
I don't see the need. It is not affecting his church, not really his business, IMO.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.