Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Ravaged by Grace

Forum of Godliness

I see a lot of guys say on Saturdays, "I've gotta get ready for Sunday". I saw it several times yesterday. I guess everybody does what works for them, but my "get ready time" is early Sunday morning, about 5am or so. It's dark, quiet, and I can think.

However, throughout the week, I'll jot down ideas or verses that come to mind, or type it on my laptop. So on Sunday morning, I take those ideas and assemble them into a message of some sort.

Ok, so yesterday I remembered a verse that I wanted to mention, and typed real quickly on my laptop, and this morning I looked at what I had typed and this is what I saw:

"Having a forum of Godliness, but denying its power."

FORUM.

That just struck me funny. So is this a "Forum of Godliness" and we "Deny its power"?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Re: Forum of Godliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
I see a lot of guys say on Saturdays, "I've gotta get ready for Sunday". I saw it several times yesterday. I guess everybody does what works for them, but my "get ready time" is early Sunday morning, about 5am or so. It's dark, quiet, and I can think.

However, throughout the week, I'll jot down ideas or verses that come to mind, or type it on my laptop. So on Sunday morning, I take those ideas and assemble them into a message of some sort.

Ok, so yesterday I remembered a verse that I wanted to mention, and typed real quickly on my laptop, and this morning I looked at what I had typed and this is what I saw:

FORUM.

That just struck me funny. So is this a "Forum of Godliness" and we "Deny its power"?
That would be the Puritan Board.

http://www.puritanboard.com/forum.php
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

That's funny.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Yikes! You throw together a sermon the morning of the day you preach it? I would like to think my pastor is preaching a sermon he has been working on all week off and on.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post

FORUM.

And what was your sermon title? lol

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Yikes! You throw together a sermon the morning of the day you preach it? I would like to think my pastor is preaching a sermon he has been working on all week off and on.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

I once had a mentor...I'll save the name so that no one accuses me of name-dropping...who dared me to step up and let God really use me. He wasn't pleased with my 20-30 hours of study and preparation for sermons.

Since then I've discovered my personal strength of building the sermon around my life rather than my life around my sermon. So rather than 20+ pages of notes, it's one 3x5 notecard (good memory doesn't hurt). I'm a little envious, though, of the few who give a masterpiece of a message with no notes. Whatever works, right?

And those 30 hours can now be spent with people! Rather than studying the bible for a sermon, one can just read, love, and enjoy the bible and messages just show up!

But....whatever works, right? Wait, I've already said that.