Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Teacher cuts girls hair without permission

It might be interesting to read that particular school's dress code. When my children were in school here unusual hair styles were not tolerated, and clothing or hair that was a distraction. Although I never heard of any teacher that actually cut a students hair. Some boys at that time had really short hair and a little "tail". To play in football they had to get rid of the tail. One boy refused and they actually sued the school district. They lost of course.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
Does the family have to file charges for this to be a criminal case James, as opposed to a civil case? Or can the state file criminal charges?
The state can file directly, but it in a case like this I can't see it happening.

For example, in rare cases as a prosecutor I went forward in a few domestic violence cases even when the victim wanted to drop the charges or if she did not even file but I had other eyewitnesses to the assault.

In this case, based on the facts presented so far it seems the highest criminal charge would be misdemeanor assault. So like I said I doubt the state would proceed sua sponte.

Civil suit of course would require the family filing, and based on the facts as presented they would appear to have a very strong tort case if they decided to pursue.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
The state can file directly, but it in a case like this I can't see it happening.

For example, in rare cases as a prosecutor I went forward in a few domestic violence cases even when the victim wanted to drop the charges or if she did not even file but I had other eyewitnesses to the assault.

In this case, based on the facts presented so far it seems the highest criminal charge would be misdemeanor assault. So like I said I doubt the state would proceed sua sponte.

Civil suit of course would require the family filing, and based on the facts as presented they would appear to have a very strong tort case if they decided to pursue.
Thanks, I was pretty sure it would not be considered felony assault. I agree with your earlier post about the firing instead of suspension. Most authority figures are suspended until after all the facts are heard. So maybe the school district had enough facts to terminate.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

What do you think? Should they turn the other cheek, forgive this teacher and seek love?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
What do you think? Should they turn the other cheek, forgive this teacher and seek love?

Are you speaking about the parents?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post

Funny, if this were about Jews or muslims the state would certainly be all over it with press releases declaring an ongoing "Hate Crime" investigation.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Funny, if this were about Jews or muslims the state would certainly be all over it with press releases declaring an ongoing "Hate Crime" investigation.
I agree.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Quote:
It is impossible to speak to another's circumstance.

Personally, I hope that in such a situation I would have the grace to do exactly that.

Some would no doubt feel it almost unAmerican to not "get what's coming to you".

For others I think it would depend somewhat on the teacher's response.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
They should get a judgement to stop reoccurrance of the crime. As to a monetary settlement - I am not in favor unless $$ can repair the damages.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

The thing with uncut hair on a female is this: you only have one chance to be able to say your hair has never ever been cut. I know that this is important to those who believe the uncut hair doctrine. This teacher has taken something away from this girl that can never be given back. She can never stand and testify that her hair has never been cut. The girl has had that testimony taken away from her. The girl will, from now on, have to say, "Except for when that teacher cut my hair, it's never been cut." I know this may seem like a minor issue to many of you, but I can promise you it isn't a minor issue to this girl.