Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

another article--

~~~~

Multiple Fatalities in Va. Tech Shooting
April 16, 2007 - 2:50pm

By SUE LINDSEY
Associated Press Writer
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, in a classroom across campus Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing to death toll to 31.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

It was not immediately clear whether the gunman was shot by police or took his own life. His name was not released, investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not known if the gunman was a student.

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus, with witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

The massacre took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

After the first shots were fired, students were warned to stay indoors and away from the windows. But some students said they thought the precautions had been lifted by the time the second burst of gunfire was heard, and some bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.

"What happened today this was ridiculous. And I don't know what happened or what was going through this guy's mind," student Jason Piatt told CNN. "But I'm pretty outraged and I'll say on the record I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7 o'clock in the morning and the first e-mail about it - no mention of locking down campus, no mention of canceling classes - they just mention that they're investigating a shooting two hours later at 9:22."

He added: "That's pretty ridiculous and meanwhile, while they're sending out that e-mail, 22 more people got killed."

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."

Up until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1116589
Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
So, how many other people have been shot so far today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
What do you mean? Nationwide? I don't understand what you mean.
Quote:
Whether in Virginia, nationwide, or worldwide.

Think Luke 13:1-3.
I think these are the posts that Theresa was referring to. You're right, there was no direct criticism. But it sounded a bit implied (in my opinion). Perhaps Theresa was 'reading you wrong', but if so, then so did I. And I wonder how many others?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Since no one here has criticized anyone for discussing this event, your post makes no sense.
It appeared that you were minimalizing this event with your original post.

BTW, the death toll is up to 32 and is now the worst mass killing in US history.

It's a very sad day.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of I 90 View Post

BTW, the death toll is up to 32 and is now the worst mass killing in US history.

It's a very sad day.
Agreed on all counts...
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Chancellor, there are people dying every day. I open up the Obituaries in our local paper and it is loaded with people every day that go into Eternity.
My heart is grieved.

However, the grand scale of this violent act grabs our attention and causes us to ask, why?

Why another shooting?
As a parent have we remembered to hug our children today? Our loved ones?

And yes it does drive home the point of our mortality.
Is it the number of people involved that grabs our attention? Why did the media feel it important to report THIS event and not the other shootings that have occurred today? Are the lives of Virginia Tech students somehow more worthy of our attention than those of kids in East Los Angeles or in Detroit or in some other large American city where shootings are commonplace?

The mentality so many of us seem to have is the same as the one expressed by Jesus' disciples when they told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the sacrifices.

It doesn't matter who it is that died, I think you and I would agree that the death is "tragic" - and more so if the person who died had never obeyed the gospel call.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
I think these are the posts that Theresa was referring to. You're right, there was no direct criticism. But it sounded a bit implied (in my opinion). Perhaps Theresa was 'reading you wrong', but if so, then so did I. And I wonder how many others?
Quote:

It's a very sad day.
thanks y'all - I'd decided not to even respond to his "observation"

sometimes he's just misunderstood and it takes pages and pages of nasty posts before someone realizes that he just spouted off and it was intrepreted by EVERYONE that read it, totally different than he meant it...I thought no response was better than starting some war of words.

and since others felt the same way by their reply, I just left my original comment and his little response....
Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it the number of people involved that grabs our attention? Why did the media feel it important to report THIS event and not the other shootings that have occurred today? Are the lives of Virginia Tech students somehow more worthy of our attention than those of kids in East Los Angeles or in Detroit or in some other large American city where shootings are commonplace?

The mentality so many of us seem to have is the same as the one expressed by Jesus' disciples when they told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the sacrifices.

It doesn't matter who it is that died, I think you and I would agree that the death is "tragic" - and more so if the person who died had never obeyed the gospel call.

no one said to the contrary....

sheesh - sometimes....

oh, nevermind
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Chan, common sense dictates that the media cannot report every shooting or death that takes place in a day.

The sheer magnitude and senselessness of this event makes it noteworthy.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Oh please........................you got to stay out of that lake effect snow!!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Chan

Quote:

It's a very sad day.
Ah, yes, the appearance argument proving once again that sooooo many people don't actually read what's written but, instead, read things into what is written.

My question was: "So, how many other people have been shot so far today?"

I later clarified this by suggesting to one poster to think in terms of Luke 13:1-3. Did Jesus minimalize the death of the Galileans whose blood Pilate mingled with the sacrifices? Did He minimalize the death of those on whom the tower at Siloam fell? I don't think He did but He did correct the disciples' thinking that the deaths in question were somehow more tragic than other deaths.