Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Why do you have utter contempt for reality?
that was funny.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
Lincoln's Secretary of State William Seward (the man who bought Alaska from Russia) responded to France's request for the United States to help Poland by defending, "our policy of non-intervention—straight, absolute, and peculiar as it may seem to other nations." I agree with his statement. The policy that had been America's from the days of the founding fathers (whose memories your interventionist views spit upon) is indeed straight, absolute, and peculiar to other (interventionist) nations.

Why do you have such utter contempt for the founding fathers and their view of foreign policy?
Neither Lincoln nor Seward were founding fathers. The founding fathers also lived in a vastly different time.

AND

I believe under Jefferson, the United States of America interviened in Tripoli and took on the Barbary Pirates.

AND

our actions in both Iraq and Afghanistan ARE issues of Amercian National Security. they are not interventionist actions unrelated to America's own interests.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
There is a difference between isolationism and non-interventionism but those lines are being blurred as to paint non-interventionists as isolationists.
Ron Paul is a non-interventionist and so am I. It is people who react to such notions with their emotions instead of their brains that stupidly confuse the two.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
Ron Paul is a non-interventionist and so am I. It is people who react to such notions with their emotions instead of their brains that stupidly confuse the two.
Ron Paul is a boarderline loon. are you one of those too?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So you think that our participation in WWI and WWII was against the constitution and illegal?

Interesting that so many disagree with you. I didn't notice the Supreme court ruling those were unconstitutional back then or since.

You guys are a fringe element living in a fantasy world. A fantasy world that would be disasterous in reality.
It's amazing how you lump everyone who disagrees with you and label them the "fringe element" and therefore must be wrong. Give those who disagree with you a pejoritive label and it automatically disqualifies them.

- Groucho Marx
Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Guess I am.........

- Groucho Marx
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Chan

Quote:
Neither Lincoln nor Seward were founding fathers. The founding fathers also lived in a vastly different time.
No but they did cite the founding fathers as the authority for their own non-interventionist policy.

Quote:
AND

I believe under Jefferson, the United States of America interviened in Tripoli and took on the Barbary Pirates.
And what were the circumstances behind it? Was it not that the Barbary states (these were defacto nations) had been attacking American shipping and trying to extort money from the United States just as it had previously been doing to France and England before those nations reached an agreement with the Barbary states?

Quote:
AND

our actions in both Iraq and Afghanistan ARE issues of Amercian National Security. they are not interventionist actions unrelated to America's own interests.
So, let's see if I understand your argument: America engages in interventionist policies since the 1950s that anger various Islamic factions throughout the Middle East. Some of these factions retaliate in various ways, not the least of which is 9/11. Therefore, the United States has a national security interest in retaliating against their retaliation?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Chan

Quote:
Why do you think he's a borderline loon? Is it because of his belief in bringing the country back into line with the Constitution? Is it because of his non-interventionist foreign policy that used to be the commonly held view of Republicans?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Chan

Quote:
Why do you have utter contempt for reality?
Are you saying that reality renders the Constitution and the founding fathers' foreign policy irrelevant in today's world? If so, then why not CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION?????
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Chan

Quote:
So you think that our participation in WWI and WWII was against the constitution and illegal?
Congress declared war, which is the only Constitutional means for the United States to go to war.

Quote:
Interesting that so many disagree with you. I didn't notice the Supreme court ruling those were unconstitutional back then or since.
There you go stupidly reading things into what people say!

Quote:
You guys are a fringe element living in a fantasy world. A fantasy world that would be disasterous in reality.
Your globalist and interventionist policies have been disastrous for the United States - 9/11 was just one result of these policies you and so many Republicans today are trying to defend.