Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Doctrines Based on Only One Verse or Passage

What, if any, apostolic doctrines are based on only one verse or passage?

I don't recall which thread it was, but posters were debating the idea that a doctrine must be supported by multiple passages, in particular the validity of the idea that there must be "two or three witnesses." Those against that, I believe, said something to the effect that God only had to speak once for something to be valid. If this is so, what are these teachings that God only spoke once about?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: Doctrines Based on Only One Verse or Passage

It is erroneous to think a doctrine must be mentioned more than once to be valid, because this is implying the bible is wrong if it only mentions something once. Two or three witnesses were required in a court-like scenario where something is being judged. Is the Bible on trial if it says something once and no more? I know this is something you mentioned in your post. So long as the teaching is plainly taught and is not in need of elaboration, it is fine. But if a sentence, like the reference to baptism for the dead, is not elaborated on anywhere else, people can make a heretical teaching out of it, and think it means something the bible never intended us to mean from that statement.

Having said that, important doctrines will be found in many instances and elaborated upon. It's not because it requires two or three witnesses, but it is simply important and must be elaborated upon.

The thousand year period of an age is only mentioned once in revelation 20.

Hair being a covering is only taught in one place.

Women having long hair as a glory is only taught in one place.

Men wearing short hair is only taught in one place.

A head covering is only taught in one place.

Taking brethren to court is only taught in one place.

The prohibited clothing of opposite sex is only taught on one place.

They're just some from the top of my head.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
What, if any, apostolic doctrines are based on only one verse or passage?

I don't recall which thread it was, but posters were debating the idea that a doctrine must be supported by multiple passages, in particular the validity of the idea that there must be "two or three witnesses." Those against that, I believe, said something to the effect that God only had to speak once for something to be valid. If this is so, what are these teachings that God only spoke once about?
Examining yourself before communion?

Footwashing?

Death and hell going into the lake of fire after Judgment Day?

Here's the problem: the Bible is divided into verses purely as a modern convenience (well, reformation/renaissance era convenience). So demanding "two or more verses" is silly. Why not two or more sentences? Or two or more books?

Also, a teaching on some subject may cover multiple aspects, discussed separately in different areas of Scripture. So for example women's headcovering is laid down across half a chapter in 1 Corinthians, but includes other statements in Numbers and Isaiah that provide additional details to give a more comprehensive view of the subject.

And, when an author spends several verses, paragraphs, a whole chapter, etc on one doctrine, that in itself is "Bible teaching" although it's "only one passage". The whole "two or more witnesses" trope in apologetics is really just a way of saying "I reject what the Bible says here, so show me where else it says it." It's a cavil.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I think the point is the one cannot draw a conclusion before putting together all the passages that talk about the topic. If there is one then only one, if there are many, then all. Whatever conclusion you come up with after you do that must show harmony, and unity because God is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Putting verses together is not enough, you need to also understand the historical context (what caused the writing, audiences, customs) and the grammar (styles, details missed in translations, classical rhetoric, poetry, etc)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

The Bible does have themes. It has topics that lots of writers focus on.

I prefer to major on the majors and to minor on the minors.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
The Bible does have themes. It has topics that lots of writers focus on.

I prefer to major on the majors and to minor on the minors.
Right. Whatever the apostles taught the most is what i preach the most in our church

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."