Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

We are looking into growing goats and wonder if anyone has any idea what goat tastes like.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

It's good. I think it's kind of moist when roasted. I really like it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
We are looking into growing goats and wonder if anyone has any idea what goat tastes like.
It is pretty good. I ate some at a Mexican guys house. He paid something like $120 for the goat and he basically got ripped off.

I have two goats in a big fence in my backyard just so I don't have to mow inside. They are the stupidest animals but they will eat every blade of grass that they can get to.

I don't think you can make much money raising goats. If you could make a profit of $15 - $25 per goat it would take a lot of goats to make any real money. It might be easier to just get a part time job.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Mr. Stewart

Jamaican Curry Goat is very good.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 11-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Wow... that is good to hear.

I have been considering raising sheep for meat. I don't know why but I considered goat meat to be a "dirty animal" meat but I was amazed to find several things...

Goat is kosher.
Goat is far more healthy than the other red meats (beef, lamb etc)

Below is a chart from a webpage I found and WOW... goat even gives chicken a run for its money on saturated fats etc.
Attached Images
File Type: gif table.gif (9.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Wow... that is good to hear.

I have been considering raising sheep for meat. I don't know why but I considered goat meat to be a "dirty animal" meat but I was amazed to find several things...

Goat is kosher.
Goat is far more healthy than the other red meats (beef, lamb etc)

Below is a chart from a webpage I found and WOW... goat even gives chicken a run for its money on saturated fats etc.
If you are selling goats, you will never go out of business if you are near any Jamaicans. Curry Goat is one of their staples. You can find it in any Jamaican restaurant and it is very good.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
It is pretty good. I ate some at a Mexican guys house. He paid something like $120 for the goat and he basically got ripped off.

I have two goats in a big fence in my backyard just so I don't have to mow inside. They are the stupidest animals but they will eat every blade of grass that they can get to.

I don't think you can make much money raising goats. If you could make a profit of $15 - $25 per goat it would take a lot of goats to make any real money. It might be easier to just get a part time job.
That is definitely true. But we are looking to raise them simply for our own consumption. We have chickens and might be adding goats soon. I met a guy this weekend in Hot Springs that has some pygmy goats that he is going to get rid of in January. We might get started then.
Create Your Own Rainbows!

The only thing I have tried was goat stew and I liked that okay.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
If you are selling goats, you will never go out of business if you are near any Jamaicans. Curry Goat is one of their staples. You can find it in any Jamaican restaurant and it is very good.
It turns out that we Western Civilization types are the last to get on the bandwagon with these goats.

I have read that Goat meat is the most consumed red meat in the world.

And they eat shrubs, weeds, the siding on your home... anything they can get to they will eat.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Forever Loved Admin

We have goats and chickens. We have the chickens for eggs, and the goats mow our pasture.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV