Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Illegal Immigration

I am a ham operator, and I just participated in a conversation about the issue of illegal immigration. One of the participants feels that the best solution to the problem would be to round all the "Mexicans" up and ship them back to Mexico. Another person thinks it would be a good idea to clear our jails of all the illegal immigrants, and he also thinks that illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from even those with college degrees.

With the one who thinks we should round them all up and ship them out, I tried to make the point that, from a logistical standpoint, it would be a nightmare to round up the 12-14 million illegal immigrants we have in this country and send them back to Mexico, not to mention how much it would cost. He went on and on and on about how they're not paying taxes, contributing to our economy, etc., etc. We need to seal the border, etc., etc. I told him I agreed with him that we need to seal the border, but a better solution would be to offer amnesty to the illegals who are already in the country once we get the border sealed. That way they don't have to live in hiding, taxes taken out of their paychecks will actually find its way into the system, they would have more of an incentive to learn English. I also tried to point out that, even though they are illegals, they are still contributing to the economy because they buy food, gasoline, cars, and shop at Wal Mart for clothes and their necessities just like the citizens do. Rounding them all up would eliminate 12-14 millions consumers from our economy and how can that help us?

The more this guy talked the more I began to suspect that he's really a racist. The thing that got me to thinking this way was when he resorted to complaining about how the Mexicans send some of the money they make back to their families. I basically told him that it was their money, they earned it, and, if they want to send it back to their families in Mexico then who am I to condemn them for doing it. I asked him if he thought anyone should have the right to tell him what he should do with his paycheck and that pretty much ended my conversation with him. LOL!

I don't think the other fella is a racist. He did make a good point about sending illegal aliens back to their native country upon being convicted of a crime. I don't have any argument against that. What didn't make sense to me is when he tried to blame illegal immigrants for taking jobs from Americans with college degrees. They're not coming over here and landing jobs in corporate America! They, the illegal immigrants, are working on farms, in restaurants, in construction, at meat plants and other factory type jobs. that part of his argument didn't make any sense to me.

So, my question for all of you is what do you think the solution to the immigration problem is? Should we seal up the border, round them all up, and send them home? Should we seal the border, clear our jails of illegals, and give amnesty to those already here? Do you think illegal aliens are taking jobs away from college educated Americans? What's the answer?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Not riding the train

Re: Illegal Immigration

Virginia (I'll have to find the article) is now setting the precedent to ship back anyone that has any type of criminal record. I think that's great.

The only problem is, in some instances, people are afraid to report a crime because of gang related issues. They feel threatened. Therefore, some crimes will go unreported.

My daughter had her cell phone stolen off the table in a restaurant by an "illegal" bus boy. The Managers refused to do anything so she called the police. They came in, did a search. One of the waitresses saw him take the phone in the bathroom and hide it under a trash can. It was retrieved, although scratched up.

The police wanted her to press charges because he had a few things on him and this would put him in jail. She was afraid his gang member friends would come after her, so she settled on getting her phone back.

I don't think fences, etc. are going to help. We need to come after the employer that hires them.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Periodically the "feds" go to places where a lot of illegal's work. I have actually witnessed a business owner round up all their workers that are not citizens and take them somewhere else until it is all clear. They were left understaffed and everyone that was left had to do 2 or more jobs. What happened was the first place that was hit in town called all the other places so they could be warned. On the one hand they are very hard working people but just like any other part of society there are some good and bad. I say just let them go through the naturalization process and become citizens. If they are not willing to do that, then send them home.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I need a Triple Espresso, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
Periodically the "feds" go to places where a lot of illegal's work. I have actually witnessed a business owner round up all their workers that are not citizens and take them somewhere else until it is all clear. They were left understaffed and everyone that was left had to do 2 or more jobs. What happened was the first place that was hit in town called all the other places so they could be warned. On the one hand they are very hard working people but just like any other part of society there are some good and bad. I say just let them go through the naturalization process and become citizens. If they are not willing to do that, then send them home.
...you know if it were only that easy................... if they wanna be here, become a citizen.....! but it's not that easy is it????

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

BTW, if we rounded up all 14 million of the illegal immigrants and used buses to ship them back to Mexico, it would take 184,615 busloads, assuming that each load was 65 people. I wonder how much the fuel alone would cost, not including feeding and lodging the illegals while on the trip, and the wages the drivers would earn.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
BTW, if we rounded up all 14 million of the illegal immigrants and used buses to ship them back to Mexico, it would take 184,615 busloads, assuming that each load was 65 people. I wonder how much the fuel alone would cost, not including feeding and lodging the illegals while on the trip, and the wages the drivers would earn.
Perhaps we could do some Exodus Moses-esque type thing and walk them all back in one crowd.

Or we could do a 10% amnesty situation.

Each illegal which turns over 9 other illegals which results in deportation will then earn amnesty.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChocolate View Post
...you know if it were only that easy................... if they wanna be here, become a citizen.....! but it's not that easy is it????
No it isn't. And some that I know personally are the most wonderful people. But for whatever reason they come their very first act is illegal. That means they are criminals. Let's say I decide to illegally enter your home and expect you to let me stay and work for you and reap the benefits of whatever you have to offer. Would you graciously allow me to stay or would you call the authorities and have me arrested. I don't think we could send all of them back home even if we wanted to. Costs aside the burden of finding them all and doing so is too great.

disclaimer....LadyC this post is not speaking directly to you.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator

I say round em all up, put em in chartered buses, make a pass through the Taco Bell drive through for lunch, then drive em back across the border.

However don't do this until you actually build the cotton pickin 700 mile border fence that was already supposed to be built.

I am all for legal immigration but our nation is being overrun with illegal immigration and a hard line stance needs to be taken to stop the flow.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
No it isn't. And some that I know personally are the most wonderful people. But for whatever reason they come their very first act is illegal. That means they are criminals. Let's say I decide to illegally enter your home and expect you to let me stay and work for you and reap the benefits of whatever you have to offer. Would you graciously allow me to stay or would you call the authorities and have me arrested. I don't think we could send all of them back home even if we wanted to. Costs aside the burden of finding them all and doing so is too great.

disclaimer....LadyC this post is not speaking directly to you.
This is why no fence or the "paid under the table" border patrol is going to keep them out. We need to hit the employers and hit them hard.

Now, that gets into an economic issue and is what makes the whole thing hard to deal with and solve.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Funny enough there are illegals in this country from every nation in Latin America, Asia, Africa, Australia, Middle East ... and *gasp* even Europe ...

I know most come from Mexico ... but it never fails that this type of discussion only focuses on them and not the thousands of others ....

It's overt racism in my opinion.