Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > The Shopping Mall
Facebook

Notices

The Shopping Mall Find a great deal online? Share it here... Also the place to find links for consumer help sites, etc ...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
OK, I will admit that skiing in a skirt can look.... pretty good.

But this is how it usually ends up looking.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I am not even going to comment!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
For whatever weird reason, I was thinking about this thread when I woke up this morning. I tend to do that a lot. I'm strange.

Anyway, the brilliant thought that was banging around in my brain is this:

It's not how much skin you have covered that makes people stare and think you're weird. It just comes down to appropriate and inappropriate attire. You could wear a wet suit which covers you from your wrists, to your neck, to your ankles. Wear that at the ocean, and no one will give you a second glance. Wear a three-piece suit and tie, and jump in, and everyone's eyes will bug out. Wear a three-piece suit and tie to Six Flags and people will do a double take. Wear jeans and a t-shirt to Six Flags, and no one will notice you're there. It's not the amount of skin that's 'not' showing, it's just that some attire has specific uses, and if you wear it to a place where it doesn't 'suit the occasion', people will notice.

I wouldn't wear a prom dress to go hiking, and I wouldn't wear hiking boots and denim to the prom. We have attire that we think is appropriate for certain occasions.

So, MissB, I doubt that very many people find it odd when you and your daughters wear long swim shorts and rash guard shirts. That's appropriate attire for the water. But denim does get glances because everyone knows how heavy it gets in water, plus most people think it's weird to swim in everyday clothes.

Of course it's a free country, and we can all do what we want. As a matter of fact, I was wading in a stream just a few days ago, in a jean skirt. I didn't care what anyone thought at the time. But, there's no sense in denying that some people might think it's weird, and for good reason. Not because too much skin was covered, and they think that's strange.... no, just because it's not appropriate attire for the occasion.
I think you hit the definition of modesty on the head.

However, how much it too much skin? Should followers of Jesus parade around almost naked? Thong bikini? Two piece or one? Shorts and t-shirt?

Love is more important than liberty (Romans 14). Which shows more love for one another?

Just questions.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
No one is.

And let's get real here. If you are a genuine, committed, absolute stickler for modesty at all times, in all situations... swimming period is not modest, no matter what you're wearing. Water makes whatever you are wearing cling to your body.
True again. (You are on a roll!)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Really, this thread rubbed me the wrong way yesterday. I probably took it more seriously than I should have. However, my stance is still the same: Let people wear whatever they like, and don't be overly bothered when people do strange things. More importantly, don't infer their motives for them. Most people are just trying to live their lives and have fun with their families within the boundaries they've set or have been given.

Don't beat them up over it, even if they do end up looking a little weird.
All good advice.

And now, a new believer comes to you and sincerely wants to know what is appropriate to go swimming in at the church campout. What are you going to say?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

I haven't read this thread, but after being out of the church for five years, I still wear my wholesome wear swimsuit.

http://www.wholesomewear.com/culotte-a.html

Some people are really concerned with looking different, but if all the lemmings go out to the sea, I hope to be going the other direction. This swimsuit covers a lot. I might try one a little different next time, but this idea that you have to bare it all so you can swim and not be laughed at is ridiculous. I dunno.....if someone is happy in a bikini, so be it, just let me do my own thing.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not quite the same. Libs don't tell conservatives that they'll go to hell for swimming in blue jeans. They (some) just think it looks odd and can be unsafe.

There is a bit of a difference.
Post #3 on target! Sheesh... cool down.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
Um actually how people dress at the beach or at an amusement park is really no one elses business.......unless of course they are naked, then of course we have the Law ( police) for that one.
I think that might free up alotta your minds..........:0)
That way you can all worry about ( make fun of) whatever the case might be.....other thingsssssss...........:0)
Define naked.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I haven't read this thread, but after being out of the church for five years, I still wear my wholesome wear swimsuit.

http://www.wholesomewear.com/culotte-a.html

Some people are really concerned with looking different, but if all the lemmings go out to the sea, I hope to be going the other direction. This swimsuit covers a lot. I might try one a little different next time, but this idea that you have to bare it all so you can swim and not be laughed at is ridiculous. I dunno.....if someone is happy in a bikini, so be it, just let me do my own thing.
You make a good point.

Even though the attire on link is certainly not my style.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Well, I haven't read most of the stuff in this topic.

But, just looking at the first picture shows how ungodly this is.
She plainly has on a bifurcated garment, and y'all know what the Bible says about "bifurcated" garments.

Some time back on this or the prior forum there was a picture of MOW relaxing on the beach. The picture didn't show his speedo, just his painted toenails but it did show some ladies in pretty moderate swim wear.

Since the picture may not have been seen by some of the newer folks, I'll include it below. I don't think MOW has it copyrighted so there may be no legal problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOWbeach.jpg (68.7 KB, 16 views)