Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Thyroid Cancer

A month ago today my wife and myself were involved in a terrible car accident (17 year old kid ran a stop sign going about 50-60 mph and right into the side of my wife's car I was driving on a four lane city street). We were spun around a bunch of times and then flipped upside down. Thankfully cracked ribs for my wife and a lot of soft tissue back and neck injuries for me were the result. A lot of long term pain (I saw him about to hit us full speed about a second or two before it happened so every muscle and tendon in my back and neck locked up). I have been in intense physical therapy three times a week to help my back pain and limited neck motion.

When we arrived at the hospital at first they thought I had a torn aorta so did chest x rays then a CT scan. Thank the Lord that was not the case. However two days later when visiting my GP for a treatment plan and follow up I discovered the CT scan had discovered a nodule on my right thyroid lobe. The next day I had an ultrasound that showed a very large (35mm) "suspicious" nodule. I was scheduled to have a biopsy and last Wednesday I was given the news that I have malignant thyroid cancer.

I am having surgery next Thursday, 9/17/20, to have entire thyroid and some lymph nodes removed (being malignant it has spread to my lymph nodes).

The good news is that the cancer I have is the second most survivable. About six weeks after surgery I will have one radiation treatment but no chemo thankfully. I have a 90%+ chance of survival.

There are some unpleasant consequences and side affects from the cancer and this surgery plus some immediate risk to my vocal chords during the surgery (it is very easy to accidentally paralyze them).

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: Thyroid Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
A month ago today my wife and myself were involved in a terrible car accident (17 year old kid ran a stop sign going about 50-60 mph and right into the side of my wife's car I was driving on a four lane city street). We were spun around a bunch of times and then flipped upside down. Thankfully cracked ribs for my wife and a lot of soft tissue back and neck injuries for me were the result. A lot of long term pain (I saw him about to hit us full speed about a second or two before it happened so every muscle and tendon in my back and neck locked up). I have been in intense physical therapy three times a week to help my back pain and limited neck motion.

When we arrived at the hospital at first they thought I had a torn aorta so did chest x rays then a CT scan. Thank the Lord that was not the case. However two days later when visiting my GP for a treatment plan and follow up I discovered the CT scan had discovered a nodule on my right thyroid lobe. The next day I had an ultrasound that showed a very large (35mm) "suspicious" nodule. I was scheduled to have a biopsy and last Wednesday I was given the news that I have malignant thyroid cancer.

I am having surgery next Thursday, 9/17/20, to have entire thyroid and some lymph nodes removed (being malignant it has spread to my lymph nodes).

The good news is that the cancer I have is the second most survivable. About six weeks after surgery I will have one radiation treatment but no chemo thankfully. I have a 90%+ chance of survival.

There are some unpleasant consequences and side affects from the cancer and this surgery plus some immediate risk to my vocal chords during the surgery (it is very easy to accidentally paralyze them).

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

Yes sir you certainly have them. Love you man.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

You are definitely in my prayers, brother!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Sister Alvear

praying for you

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 09-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Not riding the train

Praying!!!
Old 09-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Thanks everybody! I do greatly appreciate the prayers.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago and everything went well. I had to take radioactive iodine and quarantine in my room for 4 days but now we’re all used to that. They did a total thyroidectomy and I take synthetic thyroid. I did have paralyzed vocal cords for a while but that was the worst of it. Surgery recovery was almost painless. Prayers to you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Praying for you CC1
Old 09-11-2020, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago and everything went well. I had to take radioactive iodine and quarantine in my room for 4 days but now we’re all used to that. They did a total thyroidectomy and I take synthetic thyroid. I did have paralyzed vocal cords for a while but that was the worst of it. Surgery recovery was almost painless. Prayers to you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
How long were your vocal chords paralyzed? Vocal Chord damage is my biggest worry of the actual surgery as the bigger the nodule the more chance of damage. My nodule is huge at 35mm, pretty much completely replacing the right globe. I know of someone who did not get their voice back for about 3 months but I think that it usually is not that long.

Titus2woman on AF
F

Old 09-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Praying for you CC1.