Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Why Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Again, the logical conclusions to my view are the positions I am in now. I believe what I currently believe because of those scriptures I shared and my interoretation of them. They led me to where I am and what I'm doing. I'm not at the position that you claim is the logical conclusion. Why? Because they're not the logical conclusion.
If the following is true:

Fourth commandment fulfilled by Jesus THEREFORE we don't have to do what the fourth commandment actually says.

Then the following is also true:

The law and the prophets fulfilled by Jesus THEREFORE we don't have to do what the law and the prophets actually say to do.

Pick any command, ANY, found in "the law". The law was fulfilled, therefore....

Do you see the reasoning here?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Esaias is a good man.
There is none good but God, brother.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I heard once that the communists tried to change the week to 10 days and rest only once every 10 days. It didn't work out, people got burnt.
Even though, we do not keep the Sabbath as in the law, people do need a break from work every 7 days.
The early church gathered or at least were busy in the things of the Lord even on workdays.

Daily corporate prayer at the temple:
[Act 2:46 NKJV] So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

Daily evangelism, at least:
[Acts 2:47 NKJV] praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Daily prayer, and teaching:
[Acts 5:42 NKJV] And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus [as] the Christ.

Daily serving at the tables:
[Acts 6:1 NKJV] Now in those days, when [the number of] the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 16:5 NKJV] So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 17:17 NKJV] Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the [Gentile] worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.

I'm not saying that every single Christian was involved in daily things or that the prayer was daily for every single person; simply that they did not limit themselves to a specific day, every day was suitable to teach, preach, pray, and serve at the tables.
And, every day was suitable for those things under the law, as well. The 4th commandment is not "six days shalt thou work and do no ministry"...

Old 12-24-2019, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
The question then is mian sabbatou etc a common first century Greek phrase for "first of the week" or "one of the sabbaths" ?
I haven't yet seen the claim made by lexicographers that the phrase is used as an idiom to refer to the first of the week. But if it's out there, I'd like to know.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If the fourth commandment ("as written") is no longer obligatory, it means God does NOT expect anyone to give their employees a day off at all, ever, as a matter of ethics. A boss can be a slave driver and demand 7 day work weeks ad infinitum, and there is no valid and just ground of complaint against such a man. The Bible would classify such a boss as an unrighteous extortioner, but do away with the moral obligation of the 4th commandment and you do away with any possibility of being rightfully upset about such employment policies.
Employers for the most part do not care whatsoever about the Law of God. It's just common sense to have a day of rest. But the issue actually is if that day has to be the seventh of the week?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Employers for the most part do not care whatsoever about the Law of God. It's just common sense to have a day of rest. But the issue actually is if that day has to be the seventh of the week?
Common sense? From whence cometh this common sense?

The issue isn't whether employers care about God's law. The issue is, if an employer demands 7 day work weeks from his employees, nobody has any righteous reason to complain. Yet, the Bible is clear such people are exactors, extortioners, unrighteous, oppressors, etc.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:25 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

If there isn’t a physical day of dedication, then why?
Why would that arise and why would it be important that we only have a spiritual rest and not a physical one?
Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Common sense? From whence cometh this common sense?

The issue isn't whether employers care about God's law. The issue is, if an employer demands 7 day work weeks from his employees, nobody has any righteous reason to complain. Yet, the Bible is clear such people are exactors, extortioners, unrighteous, oppressors, etc.
Common sense is the need for a day of rest. Even science realizes that without it, labourers simply cannot do what they otherwise could. That's an assessment that's totally apart from scripture.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Common sense is the need for a day of rest. Even science realizes that without it, labourers simply cannot do what they otherwise could. That's an assessment that's totally apart from scripture.
Why did God Himself rest on the Sabbath?

Could it of had a deeper meaning? Jesus telling us to come under His yoke and there we will have sabbath?
Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
In Antarctica, sabbath would last WEEKS! That WOULD be a problem! seventh sundown to sundown would be WEEKS where the sun rises and sets after weeks at a time in Antarctica. lol
I remember you posting this in the eschatology section years ago. Could you expand on this thought? Would this also indicate that the Hebrew Sabbath was only regional, and held to a geographical setting? Let me just give you some thoughts. In India the religion of Hinduism cannot really be practiced outside of India. Because its holy places as rivers are only found in India, and when the vedas were being written no Hindu believed their religion would be practiced in a foreign country. The American Indian has the same problem as does the Muslim which must make a pilgrimage every year to Hajj in Mecca. Yes, the Muslim as well as the Hindu will give explanation that you as an adherent to their religion must at least make a holy pilgrimage once you in your lifetime but that is pretty much guru, and Imam will give some excuse why it isn't necessary to make these religious rituals as the original believers did when their religion was exclusively in the land of its nativity. Rabbinical Judaism takes from the Bible and uses 1 Kings 8:44, 1 Kings 8:47-49. Therefore the Rabbinical Talmudic Jews face the east to pray towards Jerusalem, and the Muslims do the same with Mecca. Both groups taking a religion which in time past was totally dependent on its geographic location.

So, Brother Blume, would you also say that the sabbath, according to the biblical people of that time was geographical?