Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

I've been thinking about Huckabee and McCain

AFter the Iowa caucuses, it was brought to my attention that Iowans supported Huckaberry by the overwheming majority of Evangelicals won big time.

I am wondering if this vote is not a reaction to the Islamic Jihadist that seems to be invading our courtry from every direction. I don't think that he would have gotten such a huge vote from the Evangelicals, since he is a Baptist preacher, if it was not a reaction.

I think that McCain is picking up on the sentiment too. I've been hearing him say, "This nation is founded on the JUDEAO/CHRISTIAN ethic and culture," with emphasis. I'm wondering if he is also picking up that reactionary sentiment among the evangelicals. If he is, it is smart.

This nation's ONLY hope is in God, of course. But rejection of God might very well be seen in our nation being swallowed up by the Muslims who are moved by their bible, the Quran, that declares that we christians are infidels and should be destroyed.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Well, honestly you can be sure that McCain will not support Supreme Cout Justices that will over turn Roe v Wade. period. it wont happen.

McCain would likely stay in Iraq and seek to win.

On taxation, McCain's record is mixed. he has supported tax cuts in the past but has joined with Dems on some points of rolling back GWBs tax cuts... some but not all....On taxes McCain can't be trusted.

Huck however will appoint strict constructionist judges.

But Huck has some things that cause pause. He raised taxes about 800 Million dollars then later lowered taxes 350 Million dollars while governer of ARK. He says primarily the taxes on gas (consumption taxes) were raised because the roads were terrible and he had to fix them. His claim is that he lowered income tax by quite a bit (24% seems to come to mind but I can't be sure).

Huck also worked to provide college education to the children of illegal immagrants. I am confused if this was a broad group or just a small group related to American children that were left here after their illegal parents were deported. I cant seem to get the details on this.

Huck has recently criticized GWB on the War in Iraq, but it remains to be seen what his view of the path forward is. I dont know if he feels we need to stay and win, or like the Dems, we need to pull out.

Scotty is a big Huck supporter and is from Arkansas. He can give some good information on him.

i still dont know what I will do. I am at a complete loss. the only thing I am sure of, is I dont want McCain to win the Nomination, but I will vote for who ever the republicans nominate.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

Ferd,

I know that McCain is a social liberal. That scares me. The only heartening thing that I heard from him; he promised to appoint ONLY "original intent" judges to the bench. If he is elected, I can only hope that he does.

This is important because there are a couple of judges getting ready to kick the bucket. One of them is John Paul Stevens, the most whacked-out liberal on the Supreme bench.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

the only thing that scares me about the republican candidates is huckabee's teeth
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Ferd- I am with you except - I am not tied to the Republican party. What has amazed me is the people who are supporting Obama- with his Muslim background and schooling. Hilary is way to liberal for me. John Edwards may be a viable choose, I have not studied his platform enough to make a decision. As far as the Republican party - McCain is way too Hawkish for me and more of the same we have with Bush. Huckabee is a unknown- I like what he says most of the time- again I am going to have to study his platform before I make a decision. I am a registered Democrat - have been for 35 years, but most of the time I have voted Republican.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Sister Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
Ferd- I am with you except - I am not tied to the Republican party. What has amazed me is the people who are supporting Obama- with his Muslim background and schooling. Hilary is way to liberal for me. John Edwards may be a viable choose, I have not studied his platform enough to make a decision. As far as the Republican party - McCain is way too Hawkish for me and more of the same we have with Bush. Huckabee is a unknown- I like what he says most of the time- again I am going to have to study his platform before I make a decision. I am a registered Democrat - have been for 35 years, but most of the time I have voted Republican.
I believe he now attends a christian church although nothing has really been said publically that I have heard about his faith.....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Well, honestly you can be sure that McCain will not support Supreme Cout Justices that will over turn Roe v Wade. period. it wont happen.

McCain would likely stay in Iraq and seek to win.

On taxation, McCain's record is mixed. he has supported tax cuts in the past but has joined with Dems on some points of rolling back GWBs tax cuts... some but not all....On taxes McCain can't be trusted.

Huck however will appoint strict constructionist judges.

But Huck has some things that cause pause. He raised taxes about 800 Million dollars then later lowered taxes 350 Million dollars while governer of ARK. He says primarily the taxes on gas (consumption taxes) were raised because the roads were terrible and he had to fix them. His claim is that he lowered income tax by quite a bit (24% seems to come to mind but I can't be sure).

He did raise taxes while in office, however they were lowered right after the job that needed done was done (whens the last time you heard that happening) The court made him raise taxes by court order to pay for Hillary's left over education screw up. The road tax he brought up and put on the ballot, we Arkansans voted it in, our roads were terrible shape,. All of those taxes were lowered back down once the job was done. The misrepresentation going on is this, in the years Huckabee was governor the average state tax increase was 62 %. He increased taxes by 46%. So he was not the only governor raising taxes and even then he was less than most states and he lowered them back down to the exact same level they were when he took office, while leaving office with the state holding an 84 million dollar surplus to boot.

The Hucksters idea is to abolish the IRS and do away with income tax altogether. then apply an equal tax to goods. So you will get all of your paycheck and you will just pay taxes on the things you buy.

Huck also worked to provide college education to the children of illegal immagrants. I am confused if this was a broad group or just a small group related to American children that were left here after their illegal parents were deported. I cant seem to get the details on this.

Exactly, you want to fix this then change the law that says if they are born here they are automatic citizens. His opinion was if they are gonna deport the parents but leave the children here as citizens then at least get them a good education to be benificial to the country instead of government programs having to support them.

Huck has recently criticized GWB on the War in Iraq, but it remains to be seen what his view of the path forward is. I dont know if he feels we need to stay and win, or like the Dems, we need to pull out.

This is still up in the air even with me. He does not have any experience in area.

Scotty is a big Huck supporter and is from Arkansas. He can give some good information on him.

i still dont know what I will do. I am at a complete loss. the only thing I am sure of, is I dont want McCain to win the Nomination, but I will vote for who ever the republicans nominate.

Socially he his the best candidate from either party. My biggest problem and fear is that unless the evangelical voters come out in mass. I just don't think he has the popularity to win against Hillary or Obama.

Which really is kinda sad.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Blessed!

Both are touching on these "statements" because evangelical christians showed up in large numbers during the last election and voted for Bush. It is a group that they are going after.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprehended View Post
Ferd,

I know that McCain is a social liberal. That scares me. The only heartening thing that I heard from him; he promised to appoint ONLY "original intent" judges to the bench. If he is elected, I can only hope that he does.

This is important because there are a couple of judges getting ready to kick the bucket. One of them is John Paul Stevens, the most whacked-out liberal on the Supreme bench.
agreed. the next off the bench is Stevens, then likely Kennedy. kennedy is the swing.

It would not supprise me if McCain appointed moderates or if he kept the current balance by replacing JPS with a liberal and Kennedy with a mod.

I dont trust him at all. I also wonder if he can actually win.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Socially he his the best candidate from either party. My biggest problem and fear is that unless the evangelical voters come out in mass. I just don't think he has the popularity to win against Hillary or Obama.

Which really is kinda sad.
Scotty, I listened to part of a conversation Huck had with Hanity. Hanity asked him direct questions and he was very forth comming.

the tax number I quoted were what i remember Huck stating were accurate. At the end of the day, i was much more comfortable with his answers on taxation than what I have been based on the noise out there from the fiscal conservitives.

I agree with his consumption tax ideas.

the other thing about Huck has to do with the pardons.
Now I know you know better than I and I would like clarification but I understand the Gov. doesnt actually pardon in ARK it goes before a pardon and paroll board that actually makes the recomendation?

however, he did write a letter to one guy that got out and raped and killed again. It seemed he was on board with this guys release?