Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Cross-examine it!

Re: Emergents Thank WeDeclare Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
First, I am in Ohio. I know plenty of peopel who raise cattle, sheep, etc. They build fences to protectthe animals because not doing so would be ignorant.

Second, teaching depends on maturity. You can't teach an infant the greater principles behin why mom or dad set certain rules. You simply tell them what to do and what not to do. Thats it. UNtil they grow up, it is healthy for them to do as they are told because you set the rules for their own good.

Third, then you preach against being judgmental. You don't throw out principles that work fine just because a few peopel have a spiritual problem with being judgmental jerks.

Fourth, Paul often spoke to churches he founded and told them to follow him as he followed Christ. This included the MANY times he gave them directions that were HIS decisions, not God's commands.

I am completely against Pastors setting a million rules that make no sense. Its silly, controlling and legalistic. That doesn't take away form the fact that some thigns are just good for the church. Some traditions are healthy.
Ignorance is using a Biblical analogy that was totally different when Jesus used it and giving it a modern twist so that there is no relation whatsoever to what he said.

Follow me as I follow Christ is leadership, not dictatorship.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
First, I am in Ohio. I know plenty of peopel who raise cattle, sheep, etc. They build fences to protectthe animals because not doing so would be ignorant.

Second, teaching depends on maturity. You can't teach an infant the greater principles behin why mom or dad set certain rules. You simply tell them what to do and what not to do. Thats it. UNtil they grow up, it is healthy for them to do as they are told because you set the rules for their own good.

Third, then you preach against being judgmental. You don't throw out principles that work fine just because a few peopel have a spiritual problem with being judgmental jerks.

Fourth, Paul often spoke to churches he founded and told them to follow him as he followed Christ. This included the MANY times he gave them directions that were HIS decisions, not God's commands.

I am completely against Pastors setting a million rules that make no sense. Its silly, controlling and legalistic. That doesn't take away form the fact that some thigns are just good for the church. Some traditions are healthy.
There are a lot good and healthy reasons not to eat pork or red meat for that matter but Paul in Romans 14 teaches us that we must not withold fellowship because of our good, healthy, traditon laden fences. The brand of preacher at WeDeclare may not be aware there is a book after Acts as they would impose their judaizing.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:

I couldn't disagree with you more. I ALWAYS explain to me kids why they cannot do something. Anything less would be a disservice to them and me. The idea of do it because I said so comes from people who just like to tell others what to do. I explain to my kids why and we discuss it. I want them to know why. I want them to be able to make good decisions.

Loren Yadon made this statement in class years ago I don't know where it came from it may not have been original with him but it is still true.

Rules without reason breeds rebellion.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 AM
the ultracon

Quote:
Pastors, even though their roles are extremely over reaching these days, do have the responsibility to watch over the siants in their care. If they constantly see them falling away because of something and do nothing to build a fence of protection, then they are going to be accountable for those souls.
Accountabilty ? What if a pastor builds fences to high and where they don't belong.

These fences and baby gates you refer to. Many are built on faulty intrepretation of scripture.

To say, as wedeclare states in article 4 that "proper interpretation of Duet 22:5 is a forbidance of woman to wear any article of clothing that has split legs is pure and simple ignorance.

Most any scholar of the bible and the original languages would luagh at this interpretation of this passage.

(from wedeclare.org) 4. Deuteronomy 22:5, properly interpreted, is a forbiddance of pants or other bifurcated garments on women and skirts on men.

My question to you, will these pastors be held accountable before God for this teaching of heresy.

This teaching, that imposes upon women something that God NEVER asked or demanded, If it cause one saint to falter, WILL YOU still speak about accountability.

Us liberals, as you call us, seek only for scriptural purity, sola scriptura,

Friend if it ain't in the book, how do you feel you will escape, when you put a burden upon women that God never intended.?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:

Many rules are overboard. That doesn't mean that they are not helpful for saints who are not mature enough to make good decisions. Baby gates are a pain to adults who have to constantly step over them, but they are worth the hassle when they keep your kid from falling down the steps right?
One problem with your analogy is that the baby gates are never removed. They are still in force, even after the saints are "all growed up". In truth, saints usually aren't allowed to mature beyond the gates.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Baron, I think what we are seeing is a group of preachers that could no longer say as Paul - do as I do and keep imposing certain select fences. Not when they or their golfing buddy comes to the pulpit with TV in their home,a blockbuster card in their wallet, their wives with cosmetics on their faces and in their purses while wearing multiple rings, and plans to take their kids to the community pool in bathing shorts and then to the movies or ballgame on Monday. Do as I say and not as I do won't work in this age. They have compromised on "non-essentials"
Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

That statement comes from Dobson.

I'm sure you do go into great detail explaining every aspect of why you told your 1 and 2 year old children why they shouldn't stick things into electrical sockets and why they shouldn't touch stovetops. I bet they really understood the principles of electricity and how the current would pass through them possibly killing them or that the stovetop produces radiant heat that can cause severe burns to their skin resulting in possible infection or loss of limb.

Right. I'm betting you said "don't touch it, it's hot" or "Don't put things in this. It will hurt you" and tleft it at that.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 AM

"(from wedeclare.org) 4. Deuteronomy 22:5, properly interpreted, is a forbiddance of pants or other bifurcated garments on women and skirts on men. "

That still cracks me up every time I read it. Deuteronomy - properly interpreted - means no skirts on men. Proper interpretation would remember that when Deut. was written, that's what men wore! I think they need to at least re-word that a little bit.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
One problem with your analogy is that the baby gates are never removed. They are still in force, even after the saints are "all growed up". In truth, saints usually aren't allowed to mature beyond the gates.
Um...you never take a baby gate down as long as there are still babies in the house do you?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post

Us liberals, as you call us, seek only for scriptural purity, sola scriptura,
Free, this is true, but it's something that anti-liberals will never accept to be true. (not talking about you, Nitehawk ) They believe that liberals just want to pitch out all rules, and are following their flesh. While this may be true in some cases, in most it is not.