Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM

Pastor of what?

This thread is not designed to proctor a million responses...unlike some other gratuitous threads I can think of...I just want to know what you think.

I am curious...can you belong to a church/attend a church without assimilating that the Pastor of that church is YOUR pastor?

Here is the crux. What if there is no other church in an city, and you have severe disagreements/experiences/situations with that pastor, not on a personal level, but on a philosophical level, and you absolutely are forced (as a matter of speaking) to attend that church?

Could you attend without having to call him your pastor...or is this outright rebellion against authority?

The reason I ask is that there is a large church in (edit:a part of the U.S.) that is on the threshold of turning over to the son-in law. He is not so popular...in fact he is a mouse of a man compared to those who precede him.

In another situation in (edit: another part of the U.S.), there is a church with a great pastor, but the folks would probably rather go to the Catholic assembly before they would call the youngster...pastor.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Honorary Admin

I absolutely could. However, if the differences were so pointed that my dissention would begin to cause trouble, I would leave rather than cause division.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
I absolutely could. However, if the differences were so pointed that my dissention would begin to cause trouble, I would leave rather than cause division.
Well, of course by making a decision to attend the church one would have to resolve not to be a rabble-rouser. It would take character, but sometimes when folks have their roots in an assembly, it is difficult to leave/change when the leadership changes, takes a step back, or in the event someone makes a decision to return to church but with a diminished capacity.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
In context, we are both liberal, greasy-gracers, so your perspective is the same as mine, I wonder what the others would say...(besides of course that I have a problem with leadership).

Old 02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

I'm wondering when did it become the vogue to say Pastor So in So instead of just Bro. So in so???
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
I'm wondering when did it become the vogue to say Pastor So in So instead of just Bro. So in so???
I really don't know, but I would prefer the folks at NLC to call me pastor. John Q. Sinner can identify with "pastor" but has a hard time with "Brother." Actually, most folks call me Pastor John. I am perfectly fine with it. I don't need a title to gain respect and the folks do give me respect as I serve them.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Sister Alvear

Title or no title your life tells the real story of what you are!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

I attended a church for several years under these conditions.

I didn't see it as rebellious.

As a matter of fact I worked hard to do everything I was asked to do in the church. I sang/played on the platform, I taught new converts classes etc.

I did not consider the brother to be my pastor and just did all I had to do to stay under the radar and out of his ire.

We finished our several year stay with the brother without any confrontations and are in good fellowship now.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Is a person required to go to a church and support it with his presence and finances if he/she believes the pastor is in error, or in sin, or in apostasy, or in false doctrine, or in the wrong organization, etc?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
I really don't know, but I would prefer the folks at NLC to call me pastor. John Q. Sinner can identify with "pastor" but has a hard time with "Brother." Actually, most folks call me Pastor John. I am perfectly fine with it. I don't need a title to gain respect and the folks do give me respect as I serve them.
We call our pastor "Pastor John" I think it shows respect, but also a little more personal. I agree with you that people can identify with it better than Bro Last name.