Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Water Baptism Classes

A JW I work with told me that they have a questionnaire with over 100 questions that a person must study and affirm the answers to before they are allowed to be immersed.

Personally, the only thing that I think needs to be addressed prior to immersion is:

Repentance from dead works
Faith toward God (which includes a basic confession: that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God)

If a person has not repented of sin and if they don't confess an accurate faith in the Lord, what's the point? Remission of sins won't likely occur.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Great insight LaFon
Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBeliever View Post
Great insight LaFon
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
A JW I work with told me that they have a questionnaire with over 100 questions that a person must study and affirm the answers to before they are allowed to be immersed.

Personally, the only thing that I think needs to be addressed prior to immersion is:

Repentance from dead works
Faith toward God (which includes a basic confession: that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God)

If a person has not repented of sin and if they don't confess an accurate faith in the Lord, what's the point? Remission of sins won't likely occur.
Accurate faith in the Lord?
What does that mean?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

IF a person has repented of their sins and proclaimed faith in Jesus as thier saviour then they should be baptized then.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
I totally disagree based on Biblical example.

Whenever there was a conversion in the Bible Baptism was usually done in the same day.

The Ethiopian Eunuch was baptized by Phillip, right in the middle of the desert, after a talk with Philip.

The Philippian Jailer and his family was baptized in the middle of the night, Paul did not even wait till daytime to baptize them.

If we are going to be Apostolic, then we have to follow their example.
The idea of delaying baptism is a Catholic concept, for they delayed baptizing new converts until a certain day of the year and created very elaborate ceremonies for baptism.

I will disagree with you to a point. The two examples reveal a little different story.
Philip met up with the Ethiopian who was apparently a God fearer of some kind. He already had some kind of faith in God. When Philip told him about Jesus they came to some water and the Ethiopian said here is water. That implies that Philip taught him about baptism while teaching him about Jesus. Also, Philip made faith in Christ a prerequisite for baptism. So I come away with two conclusions on this narrative:
1) You cannot separate baptism from preaching about Jesus.
2) Baptism must be accompanied by faith.

Concerning the Philippian jailor, they, Paul and Silas, spoke to him and his household the "word" (logos) of the Lord. I cannot in this short post provide a study on the "logos" of God, but you are smart enough anyway. Once again we see that baptism cannot be separated from preaching Jesus as the jailor and his household were immediately baptized.

The points here are:
The baptizer must ensure the baptizee understands the basics, baptism is for the remission of sins and they place faith in Christ with all their heart. This IMO implies repentance. How one does this mat vary. I examine the individual before baptizing them. That does not mean a catechism but it does mean that I will ensure the individual understands the purpose of baptism. They may be immediately or it may require a short postponement.

I think we are on the same page but wanted to clarify because there are some who have abused the baptistry. They go out and will baptize anybody and then talk about how many baptisms they have performed. There is no real repentance and no real faith on Christ and no real conversions. Just sinners getting wet while they shout about "revival" where there is none.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

I believe that a person who shows interest in getting baptized should be taught and baptized right away and not wait for the next scheduled baptismal class. I believe that the average person can get a basic understanding of the scriptures from a 30 minute "conversation" that will "qualify" him for baptism. We just need to ensure that:

1. The person believes and confesses that Jesus is Lord and Savior.
2. The person has repented of their sins and has made a decision to follow Christ.
3. The person understands the purpose of water baptism and the formula that we are using (to differentiate from other churches that use a different one). And maybe tie it with the concept of the Oneness of God.

Almost all (if not all) of actual baptisms that took place in the book of Acts were preceded by some type of teaching or preaching.

Following up on the new convert is a different conversation but we cannot overemphasize the importance of teaching before AND after baptism.

Matthew 28:19-20

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Last edited by MarkBelosa; 11-14-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

"Baptism Sunday" events started a few years ago in a lot of churches I know. The church I attend adopted the practice a couple years ago and I hate it.

The reason we've been given is so that the person being baptized can have their family and friends there to witness the baptism.

If a person wants to be baptized, they should be baptized right then. Obviously, there are circumstances in which it may not be possible; ie, a minor whose parents do not attend church.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Once again, history repeats itself. I have said many times that we are repeating the history of the original great apostacy which gave rise to catholicism.

In the early church teachers arose who slowly began modifying the monotheism of the apostles into a more "philosophical" theology that ended in trinitarianism, and it began with "Jesus is not the Father".

Today? Same thing. OPs trying to be theologically "edumacated" are now claiming Jesus is not the Father. Just a matter of time before they wind up in trinity-ville.

The early apostates like Ignatius began teaching an extreme hierarchical clericalism, so that no church or worship existed apart from the bishop. End result? Priests and popes, penance indulgences and confession, persecution of heretics etc.

Today we have OPs claiming you can't be saved unless you have a pastor to dictate to you whether you should have a beard or tell you how long your sleeves must be.

Early apostates introduced the catechumenate, requiring lengthy pre-baptismal classes and instruction. Ending in baptisms only done once a year and no evangelistic urgency, baptism became a spectacle of pomp and ceremony, and true conversions ended.

Today? Baptisms only on Sunday... maybe only once a month... a spectacle where friends and family can enjoy the pomp. I mean what's important, washing away your sins? Or having a good social time for family? What a dishonour to the importance of baptism! Why not wait for family to be there to see you get the Holy Ghost too?

We're repeating history.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
IF a person has repented of their sins and proclaimed faith in Jesus as thier saviour then they should be baptized then.
If a person has proclaimed faith in Jesus as their savior then they should be baptized in the name of Jesus.