Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Looking For Some Of The Old Songs. (20 years ago)

Well we had a few lead singers leave a few months ago and a month ago the pastor took another church and his wife was the music talent that we leaned on most so we are now left with a skeleton crew.

I have pretty much taken over the music here and we are starting to come together pretty well. They Lord has certainly blessed and the past few weeks have just been great.

My strategy at this point is to compile a good list of fast & slow songs that are familiar to my 2 main musicians so that we can have a good list of songs that we are comfortable with to pull from during the services. I sang with both of these ladies as musicians some 15-20 years ago so we have worked together before but it was a good while back. So there is a working relationship there... at least in the realm of late 1980's/early 1990's apostolic worship music.

I am going to post my list of songs here so you can see what era most of these songs are from with hopes that some of you will remember other great songs from that time frame that we can practice and add to the list.

All of the songs below have been practiced and we have an established key for each one so that we can draw from these lists during the services but I would like to expand it quite a bit from here so we will have greater flexibility.

We are beginning to work in some newer songs. My daughter plays the keyboard. She does great but she is very new at this and she can't just "jump and run" with a song. She can play a song pretty well but it will require a good practice to get there. So, a little at a time, we are adding new songs.

But... for now... we are just trying to get a good song base to work from so that we can be functional and responsive to the move of the Spirit in the services.

Fast songs we have so far...

Ain't God Good
Bless That Wonderful Name
Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus
Come Let Us Sing
Enemy's Camp
Foot On The Rock
Get Your Mind On Jesus
God Rides On The Water
Going Up To The High Places
I Feel The Rain
I Have A God
I Just Feel Like Something Good…
I Love To Praise Him
I Say Yes, Lord, Yes
I Want To Lift Up The Name Of Jesus
I'm Not Perfect
I've Got A Feeling
Jesus I'll Never Forget
Lift Your Praises To The Lord
Look What The Lord Has Done
Never Turn Back
Nobody But You Lord
Power In The Blood
Praise Him
Right Now
Trading My Sorrows
Victory Is Mine
What A Mighty God We Serve
Whose Report Will You Believe
Wilderness

Slow Songs we have so far...

Think About His Love
Holy Ground
I Want To Live The Way You Want….
In The Presence Of Jehovah
He Is Lord
Peace, Peace, Wonderful Peace
We Serve A Great Big God
Learning To Lean
They That Wait Upon The Lord
Jesus Is The Sweetest Name I Know
Something About That Name
I Will Bless Thee O Lord
I'm Depending On You
Lift Your Praises To The Lord
Let Me Walk With You Jesus

We do need some more fast ones and some more slow ones but our list of slow songs is what we REALLY need to add to because I find myself not finding that "right one" on the list sometimes. The Lord is good and brings something to mind or I feel some words come to mind and make it up as we go. But I would like to have a lot more breadth to the list of slow songs.

Any help you guys would be able to offer in expanding my list would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

"Lord Prepare Me to be a Sanctuary" is an oldie-goldie that works with soooo many sermons.

Have you thought about teaching your musicians some of the recent stuff that's easy to play, such as "I am a Friend of God" or something along those lines?

Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafitzh2o View Post
"Lord Prepare Me to be a Sanctuary" is an oldie-goldie that works with soooo many sermons.
That song is now ON THE LIST... great suggestion... thanks.... I have an excel spreadsheet with fast songs & slow songs taht we have actually practiced in the last 2 weeks and verified the right key and I have an unverified fast song & unverified slow song worksheet as well.

I am a bit of an organization nut... at least as paperwork goes... my office wouldn't bear that trait out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafitzh2o View Post
Have you thought about teaching your musicians some of the recent stuff that's easy to play, such as "I am a Friend of God" or something along those lines?

Just a thought.
Yes sir... I certainly have and we are working that direction. I have only had the group for about 2 weeks now and we are getting to the point pretty soon where we will be doing just that.

If our 2 more seasoned ladies can't play them then we bring in my daughter (and they have both seen her grow up (she is 14) and they are excited to see their "little girl" doing these songs so the Lord has blessed us with a situation where there is no musician envy)

She did "Trading My Sorrows" last night and did a great job.

I have not looked at the chord structure of "I am a friend of God" yet but I do have the chord charts here. I will look over that one as a possibility for some of the first "newer" songs that we integrate into our repertoire.

Thanks so much for the post... 2 excellent suggestions that will, absolutely, be put into practice.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Invisible Thad

a few things you may want to do is:

make yourself a binder with a list of songs with all the Keys, catagories , topics and so forth

group songs together that flow both in keys and content.
for instance, I might do a series of slow songs around the word"Glory" and group perhaps 3 songs together. here is an example:

Let there be glory and honor
O the glory, Of your presence
glory, Glory hallelujah(his truth is marching on)

many of your fast congregational songs work well together as long as they are in the same key

I know it was the blood
there is power in the blood
Thank God for the blood
I'm so glad he took my sins away
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post

make yourself a binder with a list of songs with all the Keys, catagories , topics and so forth

for instance, I might do a series of slow songs around the word"Glory" and group perhaps 3 songs together. here is an example:

many of your fast congregational songs work well together as long as they are in the same key

I know it was the blood
Thank God for the blood
Ahhhhhhhhhhh excellent idea.

I will go through my songs and start doing just that.

Thanks guys... This is all very helpful.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I know it was the blood
Thank God for the blood
When I was sound tech at my former church I did this, for worship and praise, solos, and choirs...it worked great.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:

I know it was the blood
Thank God for the blood
I did similar to this and then put everything in plastic envelopes in a binder. It was an invaluable resource! I don't need it anymore now since I don't have the responsibility for it anymore.

Thank the good Lord!

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
I did similar to this and then put everything in plastic envelopes in a binder. It was an invaluable resource! I don't need it anymore now since I don't have the responsibility for it anymore.

Thank the good Lord
!
Yes, I love the old songs.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post

Thank the good Lord!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkLady View Post
Yes, I love the old songs.
I meant thank the good Lord I'm not responsible for directing or overseeing the music in our church. I don't have to do that now.

I love a lot of the new songs actually. Our music minister mixes it up. We do a couple hymns most Sundays along with the newer praise and worship songs as well.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Old Landmark
You Can Use Me
Try something newer, "How Great Is Our God into How Great thou Art"