Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-19-2021, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Re: How Modernized Is Apostolic?

In 1920's California, Oneness churches were usually called Pentecostal Mission (George Farrow, Harry Morse), or Full Gospel.

When did the Latinos begin calling themselves Iglesia Apostlica de la fe en Cristo Jesus ?
Old 02-19-2021, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
In 1920's California, Oneness churches were usually called Pentecostal Mission (George Farrow, Harry Morse), or Full Gospel.

When did the Latinos begin calling themselves Iglesia Apostlica de la fe en Cristo Jesus ?
There is a batch of Apostolic churches in my area that have Full Gospel on their signs. They don't typically say Apostolic as means of self-identification.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post

Some Trinitarian Churches have gone by "Pentecostal Mission" since the 20's. I was part of a branch of this group before I saw Oneness.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

You are correct. Both trinitarian and Oneness churches were called Pentecostal Mission. The same can be said for Full Gospel.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

When Harry Morse started churches in Sacramento(1907) and Stockton (1908), he called them Apostolic Faith Missions. In 1913, he started a AFM in Star, Idaho.

By 1915, he named his church in Oakland Pentecostal Mission.

It appears Oneness ministers, at least on the west coast, stopped calling themselves Apostolic Faith after 1914. I suppose to distinguish themselves from Trinitarian Pentecostals.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

In 1932, Earl Toole starts a church in Modesto, Ca., and calls it the Pentecostal Apostolic Church.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

3/19/1921 Arizona Republic

WOMAN EVANGELIST DRAWS BIG CROWDS
Despite the fact that the seating capacity of the old Republican building at Second and Adams streets, where the "woman evangelist," Mrs. Winifred Westfield of San Francisco, is holding special meetings for the Apostolic Pentecostal congregation, has been nearly doubled, the crowds which are nightly attending have at a few services taxed it almost to the limit. Mrs. Westfield has demonstrated beyond doubt her right as well as ability to preach the gospel, and Is fast winning her way into the hearts of her hearers by her convincing and pleasing manner. The large crowd which heard her sermon Tuesday night on the subject "Should Wives Obey Their Husbands" showed its appreciation of her broad and scriptural views on the subject by. a unanimous rising- vote that the address was of personal benefit. Mrs. Westfield expects to preach this afternoon at 2:30 on the subject "Why Christians Are Not Healed," and at the close of the sermon opportunity will be given for any who are afflicted in body to receive special prayer. Their meetings 'are to continue every night and the public is invited to attend any and all services.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

Just for fun, and to demonstrate how the same word or phrase has different meanings to different people, I include how Charles Parham described his ministry in 1924

"He claims to be the original preacher of the original doctrines of the Latter-Rain Apostolic Pentecostal Full Gospel Movements"

Now that is a mouthful.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

In 1930, there was a Oneness Pentecostal church called the "Apostolic Pentecostal Mission".

It was located in Vancouver, B. C. the article does not say who the pastor is, but the visiting evangelist is C. L. Rounds, a Oneness pastor from Salem, Oregon.