Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: The "Light Doctrine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
I would say Acts 2:38 and believing in One God is completely essential. Your lost without it. Standards, internet, TV, rings, watches, etc.. that can be labeled as “light” doctrine.
What about the resurrection? Eternal Judgment? Perfection? Non essential?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
The light doctrine has nothing to do with dress Standards or tv.
I understand that. I was stating that Acts 2:38 and the belief in One God is essential. No light doctrine in those beliefs.

I meant that we can treat standards as some treat the light doctrine.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
What’s “friend of the bride” doctrine? I have never heard of that.
Friend of the bride claims there will be others at the wedding feast than the actual bride. They will not be in the bride, but they will not be lost. Had one elder tell me that he worked with a Baptist minister that came to work with one day all excited about a dream he had. The baptist gentlemen had seen heaven in a dream, and around the throne was a group of people who were the bride of Christ. He said he was not a part of that group and did not have access to the throne as they did but that he was perfectly content to be in Heaven with them. This elder believed that his baptist friend was not a part of the Kingdom of God but that he would not be lost. He told me that instead of ruining a friendship by making a doctrinal argument, he decided to leave things as they were. I was dumbstruck at the time.

It probably is very similar to (maybe same thing as) the light doctrine. Both are equally false and equally dangerous.

From Pentecost until the second coming, there is only one door into the church, and the church is the only escape from the wrath that will come on the children of disobedience. He is coming to execute wrath on them that know not God and obey not the gospel. The only way to know God begins with the new birth, which is water and Spirit.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
Friend of the bride claims there will be others at the wedding feast than the actual bride. They will not be in the bride, but they will not be lost. Had one elder tell me that he worked with a Baptist minister that came to work with one day all excited about a dream he had. The baptist gentlemen had seen heaven in a dream, and around the throne was a group of people who were the bride of Christ. He said he was not a part of that group and did not have access to the throne as they did but that he was perfectly content to be in Heaven with them. This elder believed that his baptist friend was not a part of the Kingdom of God but that he would not be lost. He told me that instead of ruining a friendship by making a doctrinal argument, he decided to leave things as they were. I was dumbstruck at the time.

It probably is very similar to (maybe same thing as) the light doctrine. Both are equally false and equally dangerous.

From Pentecost until the second coming, there is only one door into the church, and the church is the only escape from the wrath that will come on the children of disobedience. He is coming to execute wrath on them that know not God and obey not the gospel. The only way to know God begins with the new birth, which is water and Spirit.
Wow. That's certainly spread some new "light" on me. I've never heard of this Friend of the Bride doctrine. It does sound a little similar to the Light Doctrine, with the root of the theory being derived from that some people will go to Heaven because they did not know any better.

I must agree: they are both false and both dangerous.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:14 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Wow. That's certainly spread some new "light" on me. I've never heard of this Friend of the Bride doctrine. It does sound a little similar to the Light Doctrine, with the root of the theory being derived from that some people will go to Heaven because they did not know any better.

I must agree: they are both false and both dangerous.
Friend of the Bride is as old as oatmeal cartons in beehive hairdos
Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post

Hey man.... Plus 1's are a thing ya know!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Ha!

Funny thing is...in the times I've discussed the doctrine with people who actually believe it, I've not once had a scripture quoted to support it!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

While I long for "Old Time" Pentecost, I do appreciate the fact that we live in a more literate age.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:00 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post

There are a lot of Baptists who hold to "Friend of the Bridegroom" teaching. They are known as "Baptist Briders". They believe their "pure Baptist" churches are the Bride, and other Christians are Friends of the Bridegroom.

I think there may be some dispensationalists and charismatics who hold similar views, with the Jews = the Bride and Gentile Christians are the Friend of the Bridegroom. Maybe even reversed in some cases.

I thought Bride/Friend of the Bridegroom teaching was common among some Branhamites as well, and maybe among certain Sacred Name, Messianic, and Adventist groups (like the Branch Davidians, although I'm not certain about the Mt Carmel/Waco group of Branch Davidians). I think the JWs have a variation of it with their 144,000 doctrine.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

I always heard it taught that the friend of the groom was John the Baptist as well as the old covenant saints. And then the bride was the new covenant saints. Together they both make up the church.