Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Prayer by Verbal Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
“Adulterous spirits are like radar. If they’re in a person they’ll send a signal, and that signal will touch you.”

p. 124
——

I’d say other spirits do the same. Experienced it myself. Interesting way to describe it. I’ve described it like a signal going through me. Then to turn and look, and lo and behold...
Think on this, will adulterous spirits attract only adulterous spirits. Or will they attract other spirits that are similar?
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
I heard an older preacher, who knew Verbal Bean personally, who said that many of the men talking bout his books today would never had let VB in their pulpits. He was very offensive to those who did not believe in the spiritual realm.
I would let him. I like the guy.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Think on this, will adulterous spirits attract only adulterous spirits. Or will they attract other spirits that are similar?
I was going to comment about sexual themed spirits in general.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:31 PM
New User

I’m not looking for things to disagree with.

I do like where VB encouraged the ministers to stay with the revival even when the pastors wife starts attacking you.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:40 PM
New User

At one point the tapes of the revival in Laurel, Mississippi were available for purchase. I always meant to, but didn’t purchase them.

I can’t find them anywhere online, probably because no one uses tapes. Anyone known where the audio is available?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:43 PM
New User

Ok. Done.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
I heard an older preacher, who knew Verbal Bean personally, who said that many of the men talking bout his books today would never had let VB in their pulpits. He was very offensive to those who did not believe in the spiritual realm.
No it had nothing to do with the “ spirit realm “ that would be offensive to some it had to do with preaching against sin. He would preach on getting rid of your television, not paying tithes, getting rid of board ran churches ect... that’s why he would not be excepted. I have to elders I know that set under him and told me this. Plus he preached for a lot of the churches we fellowship out here in California.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 PM
New User

No one cared that we was good with women preachers.

Edit:
Or that’s what I get from the book. His mom started a church. I think he also referenced a lady evangelist.

Last edited by diakonos; 03-07-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
It has been an interesting read. Different perspective. Not too bad. But something jumped out that I take issue with. Verbal Bean stated that he believed Jesus was tempted to fornicate. I find the notion rather blasphemous.

I do not believe that being tempted in like manner means that Jesus was tempted with EVERY SPECIFIC THING that people deal with. If tempted to fornicate, was He tempted to steal? Lie? Kill?

Other than that, no real objections to VB’s commentary. I’m bout half way through.
What does it mean to be tempted? Was it an internal mechanism within Him attempting to draw Him away after His own lusts?

Or was it an external, spiritual attack to get Him to fall, beginning with the 40 day fast in the desert all the way to Calvary?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 03-08-2020, 01:16 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
What does it mean to be tempted? Was it an internal mechanism within Him attempting to draw Him away after His own lusts?

Or was it an external, spiritual attack to get Him to fall, beginning with the 40 day fast in the desert all the way to Calvary?
James 1:14-16 KJV
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. [15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. [16] Do not err, my beloved brethren.

The word lust has a rather lurid spin to it nowadays, but Biblically (and prior to the 20th century) simply meant "desire". If James is correct, then all temptation occurs when the will is enticed by the person's own desires. Without that desire there cannot be a temptation. I can offer you a slap in the face if you'll just empty your bank account and give it to the Clinton Foundation, but is that really tempting to you?

According to James, temptation is the occassion or prior condition that under certain conditions results in sin. Sin is transgression of the law, so the doctrine here is a person's desires entice the will to do something forbidden by God. If the will yields, sin results. If the will does not yield, sin does not result. Thus sin is voluntary, moral character attaches to voluntary acts of the will, and involuntary conditions or experiences (like being tempted) do not impart moral character to the individual in and of themselves.

Jesus being tempted in all points like as we are does not mean that He was tempted with every single temptation every human has or will have experienced. It simply means He experienced temptation just like we all do. He is a fully functioning human being, not a divine being in a mere skin-suit completely removed from temptation. His temptations, to be real and meaningful to us, must have been real, real human temptations, just like we have. And the Scripture speaks of His temptations in such a way as to clearly make them meaningful and relevant to us: He knows what we go through because He's gone through it Himself. And more importantly, He went through it without sin. Therefore, we can too.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf