Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

The "DAVID DANCED WHILE NAKED" error

Anyone hear David was alleged to have danced naked, or in his underwear, before God? It's untrue!

This is the passage:
2 Samuel 6:14 KJV And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
An EPHOD is a priestly garment. Some thought it was his underwear! lol. It is a priest's garment, and David acted like a priest in ministering in dance before God.

EASTON BIBLE DICTIONARY
Ephod
Something girt, a sacred vestment worn originally by the high priest (Exo_28:4), afterwards by the ordinary priest (1Sa_22:18), and characteristic of his office (1Sa_2:18, 1Sa_2:28; 1Sa_14:3). It was worn by Samuel, and also by David (2Sa_6:14). It was made of fine linen, and consisted of two pieces, which hung from the neck, and covered both the back and front, above the tunic and outer garment (Exo_28:31). That of the high priest was embroidered with divers colours. The two pieces were joined together over the shoulders (hence in Latin called superhumerale) by clasps or buckles of gold or precious stones, and fastened round the waist by a “curious girdle of gold, blue, purple, and fine twined linen” (Exo_28:6-12).
Like Melchisedek, David was a Priest/King in this instance, a foreshadow of Jesus Christ.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 06-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Re: The "DAVID DANCED WHILE NAKED" lie

John Gill commented:
and David was girded with a linen ephod; which others, besides priests, sometimes wore, as Samuel did, and which David might choose to appear in, rather than in his royal robes, as being more agreeable to the service of God, and lighter for him both to walk and dance in on this occasion.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Re: The "DAVID DANCED WHILE NAKED" error

Here is the passage in it's entirety as it relates to the thread...
2 Samuel 6:13-20
13And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings.
14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.
16And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.
17And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD.
18And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts.
19And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.
20Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
David danced until he was "uncovered", this was not hard to do seeing that a linen ephod was a very simple garment.

While most of Israel celebrated with David's exuberance and worshiped the Lord, giving him glory... Michal despised him for being so "undignified" and for being "uncovered" while dancing. Perhaps she was despising David's dismissal of the royal robes and his wearing of the humble ephod, perhaps he truly danced with such exuberance his nakedness showed between leaps and dancing. Commentators will comment from both positions... but we can't miss the point. David, the king, wasn't too "dignified" to worship the Lord in all his might with the common people of Israel.

Last edited by Aquila; 06-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
David danced until he was "uncovered", this was not hard to do seeing that a linen ephod was a very simple garment.
He danced till his clothes fell off?
or
He danced so vigorously that he exposed himself?
or
He lay aside his royal robe (uncovered himself) and put on the simple priestly ephod in its place?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
He danced till his clothes fell off?
or
He danced so vigorously that he exposed himself?
or
He lay aside his royal robe (uncovered himself) and put on the simple priestly ephod in its place?
Hey Sam, I was adding to my post when you wrote this. lol

I don't think David was naked. I do know he chose to wear a humble ephod before the people, and if there was any "nakedness" it had to be glimpses between David's leaping exuberance.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Hey Sam, I was adding to my post when you wrote this. lol

I don't think David was naked. I do know he chose to wear a humble ephod before the people, and if there was any "nakedness" it had to be glimpses between David's leaping exuberance.
I highly doubt any nakedness occurred at all. It's just that he uncovered himself of royalty and his proud wife was disgusted.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I highly doubt any nakedness occurred at all. It's just that he uncovered himself of royalty and his proud wife was disgusted.
I would have that view as well. Mainly because the Bible says, "Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart," and when she said, "as one of the vain fellows.."

It appears that he humbled himself like every other man and she was too proud to bear it. She wanted him to be a lofty king. At least that's the way I have always viewed it.

"unclothed" has the meaning and idea of being "nude", but it also means "reveal", so with what Michal says, it just seems he revealed himself as a vain (worthless) fellow in her eyes.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I totally agree with this context. Also, I think if he had been naked, the Bible would have simply said so. It was pretty clear about Peter:

Joh 21:7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Saved by Grace

I wonder if some old pentecostals mistakenly heard a message on this and "worshipped" until they took their clothes off. No lie, my grandmother once told me when she was small her and a couple of friends peeked inside the window of a pentecostal church and the people were running around taking their clothes off.

I was shocked to hear such a thing, and wouldn't believe it had most anyone else told me such a thing. It was such a stumbling block for her, that she absolutely did not want anything to do with becoming pentecostal. She has since died, and I am concerned for her soul.

(background info: I was born again at age 18 after leaving home, none of my family attended church much, or served God. So thereafter I aggressively tried to convert them, which is when the above conversation took place.)

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Jason reminded me of a time in a pentecostal church that a sinner had started coming to church off and on. One night he made his way to the altar, and some of the brethren, of course, gathered around to pray with him. As they prayed and shouted with him, he began shouting, too. They were all standing around him and began jumping up and down, and he started jumping up and down with them with a huge smile on his face. Suddenly he reached down and started undoing his belt and pants, and they realized he was a homosexual (with some mental problems, too, I think) and was taking advantage of a situation where all the men were around him.

Needless to say the antics stopped quite quickly.