Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: The "DAVID DANCED WHILE NAKED" error

Keil& Delitzch
The proud daughter of Saul was offended at the fact, that the king had let himself down on this occasion to the level of the people. She availed herself of the shortness of the priests' shoulder-dress, to make a contemptuous remark concerning David's dancing, as an impropriety that was unbecoming in a king. "Who knows whether the proud woman did not intend to sneer at the rank of the Levites, as one that was contemptible in her eyes, since their humble service may have looked very trivial to her?" (Berleb. Bible.)

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
How do we know David was not wearing the undergarments priests wear?

Why does this mean his genitals were exposed? I've seen girls at church jump or dance and at some point thier skirt rose up a bit but not enough to see their underwear yet one might still have the same thought of David's jealous wife
I didn't say anything specific about genitals. Remember, the thigh was considered "nakedness". Not to mention, even the undergarment was considered improper attire before the servants and handmaids.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

What I do find interesting is that some are so disturbed at the idea that David may have simply danced so feverishly that he improperly revealed himself in some way during exuberant worship that they will actually try to PROVE such action couldn't have possibly happened... without focusing on the very point of the passage.

In a way... isn't this much like Michal's issue? Yes, David obviously was improperly uncovered. Not in a perverted manner (like many who automatically see perversion in the very thought)... but rather David was uncovered when lost in worship.

Oh that we all realize that we must get so beyond ourselves to be naked before God, without religious pretense, pride, and arrogance.

David worshiped so ecstatically... he didn't care about what he looked like. And honestly, neither did those who worshiped with him. However, Michal was clearly more focused on what David was doing... and not on what the LORD had done.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
look folks, if ya wants to dance nekkid be my guest, just do it in private, don't look for bible to do what you want to do
Exactly. While some ask why do we balk at the idea of David being exposed I respond saying why do we want it to mean David was exposed? lol

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Saved & Shaved

David worshiped ecstatically?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Wear one with nothing underneath and watch and see if you have a chance of exposing yourself. Get my drift?

Anyway... it's evident that the handmaids and servants were worshiping also, and so weren't gawking at David's "uncovered" parts. However, in all of this Michal clearly was more focused on David's "junk", and the embarrassment it presented to the "royal office".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I didn't say anything specific about genitals. Remember, the thigh was considered "nakedness". Not to mention, even the undergarment was considered improper attire before the servants and handmaids.
I recommend re-reading what you post before responding to me next time Aquila. You clearly implied David's genitals or "junk" were being exposed. Shame on you!

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I recall a story that I once heard.

A young lady came to church, repented of her sins, was baptized in Jesus' name, and received the Holy Ghost while still in the water. This church used batismal garments, and when she had changed back, she started to dance. However, the attire in which she had come was not sufficient to keep her covered modestly while doing this. All of the men of the church proceeded to turn to the wall and worship so that they would not see. As a new babe in Christ, she did not understand anything more than what had just happened. Thus, there was no shame here, just a point for future knowledge.

Just as there is no judgment in this case, so it is doubtless with David. His wife should have been in the crowd rejoicing in the work of the Lord, not in the window resent the worship.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Exactly. While some ask why do we balk at the idea of David being exposed I respond saying why do we want it to mean David was exposed? lol
because we want to justify having a circus at church???