Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
so I was right.. lol
Ye barketh too sooneth
Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Ye barketh too sooneth
Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Okay... well... apparently this bible study thing is far simpler than I had imagined.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Quite often the NT writers will quote OT scripture and demonstrate where this is a fulfillment or offer a greater explanation of these scriptures.

Some examples would be the writings of Joel when it is exclaimed "This is that"
The writings of Jeremiah are recalled concerning the prophecy of the new covenant that God was going to make.

I have heard the scriptures below quoted in various sermons in reference to the endtime.

Who shall be able to stand... they say.
He shall sit as a refiner & purifier of silver... is spoken speaking of some future time.

I see no reference by the apostles at any point in scripture that apply the scriptures below to a future/NT area happening.

Does anyone else have any biblical backing for using these scriptures in that manner?
When, at any time in the past (but subsequent to the prophecy) has that prophecy been fulfilled? It hasn't. Thus, it is for a yet future time. I would agree with others here that the first part of the passage refers to John the Baptist but the rest of the passage...

"and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he [is] like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness" there may be parallel with Matthew 25:31-46...

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
When, at any time in the past (but subsequent to the prophecy) has that prophecy been fulfilled? It hasn't. Thus, it is for a yet future time. I would agree with others here that the first part of the passage refers to John the Baptist but the rest of the passage...
I do understand this concept entirely... Thanks for posting here.

But... I think I have found where it has been fulfilled. I will have to finish reading 2 major & 1 minor prophets books in the OT before I am able to present my thoughts on this.

But... If I am able to demonstrate where this was fulfilled in the past would you still feel that this is a prophecy of John the Baptist?

In other words....Do you believe in dual fulfillment of scripture?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
I do understand this concept entirely... Thanks for posting here.

But... I think I have found where it has been fulfilled. I will have to finish reading 2 major & 1 minor prophets books in the OT before I am able to present my thoughts on this.

But... If I am able to demonstrate where this was fulfilled in the past would you still feel that this is a prophecy of John the Baptist?

In other words....Do you believe in dual fulfillment of scripture?
I believe that only the first part of the passage refers to John the Baptist ("Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who shall prepare Your way before You"), the rest of it is a yet-future event referring to Jesus.

Yes, I do believe that prophecy often has dual fulfillments.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
I believe that only the first part of the passage refers to John the Baptist ("Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who shall prepare Your way before You"), the rest of it is a yet-future event referring to Jesus.

Yes, I do believe that prophecy often has dual fulfillments.
Okay... I do too... so whether the connection I have found is a true fulfillment or not it will not affect anybody else's feelings on whether this is endtime prophecy etc.

When I finish my study I look forward to your thoughts.