Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Re: Apostolic Assembly News-surprising footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
If the congregations are behind these pastors being evicted from their churches what is to stop them from taking the congregation and startng over as an independent church or as part of another Apostolic / Pentecostal org.?
Nothing but entrenchment of their identities in this organization which has a storied past.... it's all they know. ... that and latino pride in being right.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Keep in mind the AA is one of the oldest Oneness orgs in North America .... their history goes back to Azusa Street ....

Also it .... is the oldest Spanish-speaking Oneness Pentecostal denomination in the United States. It is also the oldest primarily Hispanic denomination in the world and is also the eighth fastest growing Hispanic denomination (Wiki)

http://www.apostolicassembly.org/aboutus_history.aspx

The Apostolic Assembly of the Faith in Christ Jesus emerged out of the Pentecostal movement that began with the Azusa Street revival in the city of Los Angeles in 1906. Juan Navarro, a participant of that revival, baptized Francisco Llorente in 1912, who later was elected the first Bishop President of the Apostolic Assembly when it formed in 1925. The organization became a California corporation on March 15, 1930.

Throughout the humble beginnings of the Apostolic Assembly, our tenacious yet caring leaders ministered primarily to the spiritual needs of a growing number of Spanish speaking people who flooded into this country looking for a better life for their families. Since then, we have made great strides in not only providing ministry to this Missionary generation and its subsequent generations, but we have broken the cultural barrier and have provided bilingual ministry to subsequent Boomer and Buster generations as well. We are confident that the Apostolic Assembly will continue to grow, in both financial strength and in membership in the years to come. Because the moral fabric of our society continues to weaken, the church stands willing to face the challenges of meeting the spiritual needs of hurting people around the world.

During its first eighty years of existence, the Apostolic Assembly has had eight national leaders or "Bishop Presidents" as listed below, with corresponding terms in parenthesis:

>> Francisco Llorente (1925-28)
>> Antonio Castañeda Nava (1929-50, 1963-66)
>> Benjamin Cantu (1950-1963)
>> Efrain Valverde (1966-1970)
>> Lorenzo Salazar (1970-1978)
>> Manuel Vizcarra (1986-94)
>> Baldemar Rodriguez (1978-86, 1994-2002)
>> Daniel Sanchez (2002-Present)

The man who lost his church in the video was Presiding Bishop of the org twice .... serving over 16 years.

He was give the title of Bishop Emeritus after his second term ended ..... That's big news.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM

These bishop and pastoral removals stem from voting irregularities at the 2006 GC ...

On Friday November 24, 2006 in Long Beach, California General Board Elections were held. Since then, a group of Bishops and pastors, within the Apostolic Assembly, have stated that the Qualifying Board committed numerous violations; therefore, the results of said election are thought to be invalid.

A request sent by a bishop in the form of a letter petitioning the present Honorable General Board of the Apostolic Assembly to establish a Commission of Honor and Justice (Article 39 of the Constitution of the Apostolic Assembly) to investigate these allegations was refused. The bishop who wrote the request was advised since there was no wrongdoing; there was no need for an investigation. Immediately thereafter, the Honorable General Board called a Joint Episcopal Meeting to announce that everything was under control.

Due to the allegations of election irregularities, a lawsuit was filed by a group of Bishops and pastors, within the Apostolic Assembly, with the Superior Court of the State of California. The Superior Court determined that the Apostolic Assembly was within their rights to make these decisions. The Apostolic Assembly has been accused of mismanagement of funds, keeping the leadership positions within "the family" and handing contracts to family and friends without proper bids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostol...n_Christ_Jesus
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Looks like someone is having fun at Wiki ... they edited one of the bishops names ....

9) Interior California & Nevada (Bishop Felipe "Mentiritas" Lugo)

"Mentiritas" ... means little lies ...

Lugo is the Bishop who asked those w/ the camera to leave ... and was in charge of the meeting ....
Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm05 View Post
That is true. In the AA the church members can not vote a pastor in. Many times the AA will appoint men who should not even be pastors. I've seen it happen and that is why a lot of AA churches do not grow. In Whittier,CA., Pastor Hernandez (FLC) passed away earlier this year. The members were not given the choich to vote in a pastor. The AA will chose who they want, not the members, be the pastor. So they can basically bring in a stranger instead of a faithful member of FLC who deserves to be pastor.

I do know the UPC, the church members vote in a pastor. I remember when then Pastor K. Haney was voted as the Bishop of the UPC, his son Nathaniel Haney was voted in by the congregation. Just because Pastor Haney was Bishop Haney's son, did not mean Nathaniel would become the pastor. He was voted in.
I am just glad I am out of the AA.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Blessed and Highly Favored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Keep in mind the AA is one of the oldest Oneness orgs in North America .... their history goes back to Azusa Street ....

Also it .... is the oldest Spanish-speaking Oneness Pentecostal denomination in the United States. It is also the oldest primarily Hispanic denomination in the world and is also the eighth fastest growing Hispanic denomination (Wiki)

http://www.apostolicassembly.org/aboutus_history.aspx

The Apostolic Assembly of the Faith in Christ Jesus emerged out of the Pentecostal movement that began with the Azusa Street revival in the city of Los Angeles in 1906. Juan Navarro, a participant of that revival, baptized Francisco Llorente in 1912, who later was elected the first Bishop President of the Apostolic Assembly when it formed in 1925. The organization became a California corporation on March 15, 1930.

Throughout the humble beginnings of the Apostolic Assembly, our tenacious yet caring leaders ministered primarily to the spiritual needs of a growing number of Spanish speaking people who flooded into this country looking for a better life for their families. Since then, we have made great strides in not only providing ministry to this Missionary generation and its subsequent generations, but we have broken the cultural barrier and have provided bilingual ministry to subsequent Boomer and Buster generations as well. We are confident that the Apostolic Assembly will continue to grow, in both financial strength and in membership in the years to come. Because the moral fabric of our society continues to weaken, the church stands willing to face the challenges of meeting the spiritual needs of hurting people around the world.

During its first eighty years of existence, the Apostolic Assembly has had eight national leaders or "Bishop Presidents" as listed below, with corresponding terms in parenthesis:

>> Francisco Llorente (1925-28)
>> Antonio Castañeda Nava (1929-50, 1963-66)
>> Benjamin Cantu (1950-1963)
>> Efrain Valverde (1966-1970)
>> Lorenzo Salazar (1970-1978)
>> Manuel Vizcarra (1986-94)
>> Baldemar Rodriguez (1978-86, 1994-2002)
>> Daniel Sanchez (2002-Present)

The man who lost his church in the video was Presiding Bishop of the org twice .... serving over 16 years.

He was give the title of Bishop Emeritus after his second term ended ..... That's big news.

Bro Manuel Vizcarra was my pastor before he became the AA president. I was very young but I do remember him. I still can not believe what happened at that church. I feel for Bro Rodriguez and his church. Just like someone in the video said, they don't need the AA organization to worship God. They must be so hurt and betrayed. God bless them and Bro Rodriguez. I do remember when he was voted in way back in the day. They prayed for him as he walked through the middle of all the general board. Looked weird to me. One thing about AA, they don't budge when it come to breaking traditions. My uncle for one is one of them old school pastors. You will not see a woman lay hands on someone in prayer. Nor will you see them ministering on the platform when there's a women's activity. Pretty sad.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Bro Manuel Vizcarra was my pastor before he became the AA president. I was very young but I do remember him. I still can not believe what happened at that church. I feel for Bro Rodriguez and his church. Just like someone in the video said, they don't need the AA organization to worship God. They must be so hurt and betrayed. God bless them and Bro Rodriguez. I do remember when he was voted in way back in the day. They prayed for him as he walked through the middle of all the general board. Looked weird to me. One thing about AA, they don't budge when it come to breaking traditions. My uncle for one is one of them old school pastors. You will not see a woman lay hands on someone in prayer. Nor will you see them ministering on the platform when there's a women's activity. Pretty sad.
Isn't there a tradition where they take up an offering for the Pastor once a year also...

I heard of this in Stockton at Hispanic church and the offering had to be above 10,000 or something to this effect??/
Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Blessed and Highly Favored

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Isn't there a tradition where they take up an offering for the Pastor once a year also...

I heard of this in Stockton at Hispanic church and the offering had to be above 10,000 or something to this effect??/
Yes, it's what they call Pastor's Day. Funny thing you mention about a pastor in Stockton receiving $10,000 one year. I was a member of that church for over 10 yrs. I will not mention his name because I still have close friends at that church, including one of his kids.

We worked all year for Pator's Day. It was and still is a big bash. We worked at Great America in Santa Clara on the weekends. The money we earned went towards the Pastor's Day fund. Each time we worked not only did we get a check, we got a admission ticket to get into the park. Instead of giving it to all of us who worked, they sold those tickets. Each church group had to give a certain amount: Men's group, Ladies Group, Youth Group, and the Sunday School dept. And each family was asked to give $100. The youth individually was asked to give $50. Not only that you had to pay for the dinner. Nothing was free. Besides giving all that money, they bought gifts for the the pastor's wife and their kids and grandkids. I'm talking pricey gifts.

You literally had to get a loan just to be a member there. Every church has a pastors day but most are not like the one's in stockton. I believe you should honor your pastor, but to go to the extremes such as in Stockton, I think is a sin. I left because I got tired of always being asked for money among other issues. I stuck it out because I am not a church hopper, but enough was enough. I am a cheerful giver but when I couldn't give they tried to make me feel bad and announced over the pulpit who gave and who didn't. I left have not been back in 6 years.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's what they call Pastor's Day. Funny thing you mention about a pastor in Stockton receiving $10,000 one year. I was a member of that church for over 10 yrs. I will not mention his name because I still have close friends at that church, including one of his kids.

We worked all year for Pator's Day. It was and still is a big bash. We worked at Great America in Santa Clara on the weekends. The money we earned went towards the Pastor's Day fund. Each time we worked not only did we get a check, we got a admission ticket to get into the park. Instead of giving it to all of us who worked, they sold those tickets. Each church group had to give a certain amount: Men's group, Ladies Group, Youth Group, and the Sunday School dept. And each family was asked to give $100. The youth individually was asked to give $50. Not only that you had to pay for the dinner. Nothing was free. Besides giving all that money, they bought gifts for the the pastor's wife and their kids and grandkids. I'm talking pricey gifts.

You literally had to get a loan just to be a member there. Every church has a pastors day but most are not like the one's in stockton. I believe you should honor your pastor, but to go to the extremes such as in Stockton, I think is a sin. I left because I got tired of always being asked for money among other issues. I stuck it out because I am not a church hopper, but enough was enough. I am a cheerful giver but when I couldn't give they tried to make me feel bad and announced over the pulpit who gave and who didn't. I left have not been back in 6 years.
Sounds like a country club ....
Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

Quote:

And I would not have blamed you one bit!

Any church which discloses the liberal giving of the individual members and/or families is in violation of a private act of worship unto the Lord. This is something sacred, and should be between those individuals and the Lord.

JMHO