Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
delete account

It really makes a person wonder...

why we have so many well read and well posted threads that have little substance, and then all the Easter and Resurrection threads get little to no attention. Are we getting desensitized to the gospel? Does it not move us anymore? Does it make us uncomfortable? Are we trying to 'normalize' the meaning of this religous holiday?

Just curious as to your thoughts? Our church is showing The Passion tomorrow.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Good question.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Our church is having a short play written by one of our members but it seems like everyone is just going through the motions. There is no excitement, no intense feelings of spirituality. It was the same at Christmas and New Years. Its seems most are too caught up in materialism and the daily grind to seek after God anymore. All you are hearing is about the meal and easter egg hunt. Then Volleyball and washers in the evening. Of course, evening services are cancelled since all will be too tired.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Desensitized? Probable although I can not count myself in that group., Resurrection Day., TO ME..is tops!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 AM
delete account

My sister has new neighbors, a new young couple. She invited them to join us for Dinner on Sunday. They kindly told her they were Jewish, she said, "That doesn't matter, you can come to church with us and eat dinner with us whether you are Jewish or not." They were so overwhelmed at her kindness. Please pray that Jesus manifests himself to them through us tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
My sister has new neighbors, a new young couple. She invited them to join us for Dinner on Sunday. They kindly told her they were Jewish, she said, "That doesn't matter, you can come to church with us and eat dinner with us whether you are Jewish or not." They were so overwhelmed at her kindness. Please pray that Jesus manifests himself to them through us tomorrow afternoon.
I think the humiliation/kenosis and exaltation of Christ is more of a theology to us than a reality. Easter has morphed into an evangelistic 'opportunity' for most evangelical churches as we try to carpe diem and grow our churches more than we do celebrate the basis of our faith. It's a subtle but significant shift. I don't think we feel Easter and all it celebrates is unimportant, i just think we've misplaced our priority in general. Kinda gotten the cart before the horse, so to speak. I was struck by this other day when I heard a lady refer to this Sunday as Resurrection Sunday instead of Easter. I liked her approach. Maybe we ought to start there, stop calling it Easter which conjures up images of eggs, bunnies, chocolate, dramas, big out reach, slogans, pretty dresses, and new shoes.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 AM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
I think the humiliation/kenosis and exaltation of Christ is more of a theology to us than a reality. Easter has morphed into an evangelistic 'opportunity' for most evangelical churches as we try to carpe diem and grow our churches more than we do celebrate the basis of our faith. It's a subtle but significant shift. I don't think we feel Easter and all it celebrates is unimportant, i just think we've misplaced our priority in general. Kinda gotten the cart before the horse, so to speak. I was struck by this other day when I heard a lady refer to this Sunday as Resurrection Sunday instead of Easter. I liked her approach. Maybe we ought to start there, stop calling it Easter which conjures up images of eggs, bunnies, chocolate, dramas, big out reach, slogans, pretty dresses, and new shoes.
A_PoMo,

You know, I couldn't agree more.

Blessings to you this Resurrection Sunday!
Rhoni
Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
I agree A_PoMo, Great post Rhoni,

Since the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of The Christ is the most important event in the history of all mankind, I reject all the religious, pagan and commercial trappings that have been added to the celebration of it. Especially the stupid concept of chicken eggs and bunnie rabbits.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
why we have so many well read and well posted threads that have little substance, and then all the Easter and Resurrection threads get little to no attention. Are we getting desensitized to the gospel? Does it not move us anymore? Does it make us uncomfortable? Are we trying to 'normalize' the meaning of this religous holiday?

Just curious as to your thoughts? Our church is showing The Passion tomorrow.

Blessings, Rhoni
I don't do Christmas or Easter,to many pagan things got put in both by the Catholic church.Don't do Holloween either.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Just saw thing on Yahoo News about how Americans spent $1.9 BILLION on Easter candy this year.

Makes me want to read Amos again.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich