Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Saved And Sanctified Since 1992

Jakes is on Dr. Phil YET AGAIN Right Now

Not sure if this is a repeat or first time airing but the show is on right now. Hmmm, lets see what he is talking about NOW!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Matthew 7:6

Re: Jakes is on Dr. Phil YET AGAIN Right Now

Well, if you can, give us a breakdown when it's done, PH.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Watching it now.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
ModeratelyConservativePro gresv

Jakes sure has been getting his big mug on TV alot lately. Methinks Jakes has visions of grandeur, methinks he wants to be the next MLK.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Your characterization speaks to me of bias.....
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocuous View Post
Jakes sure has been getting his big mug on TV alot lately. Methinks Jakes has visions of grandeur, methinks he wants to be the next MLK.
That thought would have never entered my mind. Where'd you drag that up from???

I HAVE thought tho that TDJ might aspire to be the next Dr Phil
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Saved And Sanctified Since 1992

They had the cast of his new movie Not Easily Broken. Then after the cast they had some people who were druggies of some sort.

Oh, then Bishop Jakes asked if they wanted the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. 90% of the audience said yes. Then he asked who wanted to be baptised in Jesus Name and a portable pool was brought out and the entire cast including Morris Chestnut and Jennifer Lewis were baptised in Jesus Name and all came up out the water speaking in tongues. Dr. Phil did not need to get baptised however he did volunteer to climb the chairs through the audience laying hands on everyone. At the end, everyone held hands and sang "One One One, Baptised in Jesus Name" you know, the Waterway song. Those that did not know the song were given a Sing Unto The Lord Pentecostal Hymnal published by the Word Aflame Press.

Truly, Bishop Jakes is on an Apostolic Mission for God!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
ModeratelyConservativePro gresv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
That thought would have never entered my mind. Where'd you drag that up from???

I HAVE thought tho that TDJ might aspire to be the next Dr Phil
Increasingly Jakes is presenting himself, and allowing himself to be presented, in the mainstream media as a leader and spokesperson for black people in America. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've noticed him more and more on TV and it's usually not a spiritual topic being discussed. His place in these discussion is normally as one who speaks from a black person's pov on political/social issues. That's what MLK did and it's MLK's legacy. Others have tried to duplicate MLK's influence (like whites have tried to recapture Kennedy/Reagan mystique) but to no avail. Jakes is a smart, calculating guy and i cannot believe that he's allowing himself to be type cast as much as he's positioning himself and carving out a public image for himself beyond the small niche of the evangelical/Pentecostal demographic.

And if he succeeds, then more power to him. I think black people in America still need a voice in the wilderness speaking prophetically for them and I think Jakes is uniquely suited for that role if he doesn't allow himself to be pigeonholed, marginalized, typecast or become a single issue crusader. The civil rights movement was co-opted after the death of MLK and it's leadership since then, like Jesse Jackson and Idiot Sharpton, have done poorly for black people in general over the years. With Obama getting elected perhaps a new, fresh approach to racial equanimity and relations can be achieved as people like Jakes ride his coattails to influence and the old guard retires to Florida.

On a more religious note, perhaps Jakes could help the church lead the way in society, as it's called to do, and help forge the merging of two major denominations, one white and one black, into a workable, influential group. Wouldn't that be a miracle? It'd be Azusa Street all over again, especially if a black man was in charge.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseHymn View Post
They had the cast of his new movie Not Easily Broken. Then after the cast they had some people who were druggies of some sort.

Oh, then Bishop Jakes asked if they wanted the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. 90% of the audience said yes. Then he asked who wanted to be baptised in Jesus Name and a portable pool was brought out and the entire cast including Morris Chestnut and Jennifer Lewis were baptised in Jesus Name and all came up out the water speaking in tongues. Dr. Phil did not need to get baptised however he did volunteer to climb the chairs through the audience laying hands on everyone. At the end, everyone held hands and sang "One One One, Baptised in Jesus Name" you know, the Waterway song. Those that did not know the song were given a Sing Unto The Lord Pentecostal Hymnal published by the Word Aflame Press.

Truly, Bishop Jakes is on an Apostolic Mission for God!
Hmmm...
For a minute, you almost had me taking you seriously on this.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.