Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Re: The Trinitarian Appreciation Thread - We Thank

I guess I don't get the thread. I don't see a big gulf of "us" and "them." The Christians that translated the Bible are fellow Christians. Not "them."
Old 12-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
I guess I don't get the thread. I don't see a big gulf of "us" and "them." The Christians that translated the Bible are fellow Christians. Not "them."
I guess some context is needed here. This thread was started. 3 yrs ago in response to Steve Epley's notorious "All Trinitarians Are Going to Hell" thread

Last edited by DAII; 12-10-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

DA, you actually have a number of good threads in your repertoire.

Good thing you have me to correct a few facts and smooth out the rough edges eh?

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
I guess some context is needed here. This thread was started. 3 yrs ago in response to Steve Epley's notorious "All Trinitarians Are Going to Hell" thread
Gotcha!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Bump
Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Loving God, His Word, His Name

Thank God for my trinity brethren. If not for some of the great men of God I know who are trinitarians, I would not have a true understanding about:

† Grace and mercy
† Repentance
† Evangelism and the true Gospel

IN many OP churches, I hear very little of such things. So sad.

Apostolic Defender Ministries
The Apostolic Defender Podcast on Spotify
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Smile Re: The Trinitarian Appreciation Thread - We Thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
This is true and nobody can deny it.
Oh............. But some will... Just saying...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Silent No More

I thank God for the scholarly work done by trinitarians!

But good works does not stop anyone from being

As lost as two boys kissing
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
...If you're not baptised in Jesus Name and filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues you ain't in the Body! ...!
That was the opinion of some Oneness Pentecostals in 1945 when the UPC was formed.

Apostolics had taught for years that salvation was a separate experience from water baptism and/or Spirit baptism. Those who received the Holy Ghost Baptism (HGB) in Topeka, Houston, Los Angeles, etc. did not consider themselves more saved after the HGB than before. After the revelation of Jesus' name and the re-baptism by many, they did not consider themselves any more saved after water than baptism than before.

Over time, some, then many, began to teach that water baptism was essential to salvation and that the HGB was essential to salvation. This was an innovation and was not the doctrine of the earlier "Apostolic Faith."

By the time of the merger there were differences of opinion among the brethren as to just how and when a person was born again. The fundamental doctrine statement was written ambiguously enough to accommodate both opinions which we have since called "one-step" and "three-step."

It is my opinion that we should not make "one-step" or "three-step" doctrine a criteria for fellowship.

I happen to be a one-stepper and because of that I can accept anyone who has called on the name of the Lord as a brother or sister and fellow member of the Church, the Family of God, the Body of Christ, or the Kingdom. I know good people (Lutherans, Roman Catholic, and Oneness Pentecostal) who believe water baptism is the birth of water in John 3:5 and that the HGB is the birth of the Spirit in John 3:5. I respect them but just don't see it that way. As a matter of fact, the last church I preached in is pastored by a very strong one-stepper. I made sure he understood how I believed before I went there and he was OK with it --but he didn't agree with me.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Sam, did you mean the church was pastored by a very strong three-stepper?