Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Steadfast

Let's see what 'Spiritual Wisdom' we really have Available...

I floated this one a minister's only forum to see what responses I got. Let's try it here and see what relevant opinions pop up.

"Yep... I'm one of them. I'm one of those outdated, spiritually oppressive, neanderthals who still preaches against women cutting their hair. Any of it. I'm the kind that preaches against burning it off, cutting it off, trimming the dead ends or... well... you get the picture.

...Almost...

Here is where I need the opinions of the Esteemed Spiritual Scholars among us. I have a fairly young Mother, about 35 or so, who recently was placed in the hospital for a dire medical situation. It was a hospital stay that required that she lay there for a few weeks immobile. Now, the interesting part. Due to the amount of time she lay there, in spite of the fact that they tried to keep it 'up', her beautiful long hair became hideously tangled. Upon her release her family (and eventually most every female Saint in our Church) tried to untangle it.

Now, almost 4 months later (as well as numerous 'anointing with oil' sessions, a few all night prayer meetings and 3 extended fasts by this precious Saint) what we have is a rock hard ball of hair about the size of a softball strategically covered up by other parts of her hair.

Now this precious Saint is pleading with me for an answer. She has the same conviction about cutting her hair as I do. Yet, we also know that she has to do something now or else she's going to end up bald (the 'ball of hair' is now pulling the good hair out).

Do we consider this a medical situation such as a cancer that affects the hair? Do we take the 'no cutting' stance and hope that it eventually just falls out on it's own? Do we play a 'Solomon' and 'divide it' down the middle with a sword and see what happens... perchance we can salvage some of it? Obviously we take it seriously and consider the hair issue as much more than a matter of 'preference'.

I need to make a decision. She needs to have an answer. I'm interested to see what the illustrious Spiritual Scholars among us have to say...

... Your turn."

Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Go Dodgers!

Wouldn't going bald be worse than cutting it? Let's consider the spirit of the law. Would God rather her go bald? I mean let's assume this is what is gonna happen...you KNOW she will go bald because of what is happening...what is the difference between that and someone that KNOWS their hair will get burnt if they stand too close to a fire and they do it anyways?

If you know this to be the case then what is the difference between cutting it to prevent baldness and just letting baldness occur?

If a woman has surgery on her head and they have to shave it....is she sinning?

If you have exhausted all avenues to untangle it...then there really isn't any other option. I mean it's not like she is committing fornication or adultery. She is not robbing anyone. She is not cutting it as an act of rebellion against her Head....right?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Steadfast

Yours, my friend, has been the general concensus of most every opinion that I've received. Sounds reasonable to me but I guess I just want to hear opinions for every angle.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

I agree with Prax. Have her get it cut out, her glory will grow back!
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 AM
My Family!

It sounds like her hair has fused to itself (dreadlocks). That how dreadlocks are formed - the twist the hair until it actually becomes fused together.

There is no untangling it, as she well knows now.

I believe God is a merciful God and cutting that fused hair out is the ONLY way to be rid of it and allow new growth.

No question in my mind what she should do.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

I remember when I was a lad, my sisters would get "rats" in their hair. My mother would use a comb or brush to get the tangles out, and she would end up pulling lots of hair out during the process.

I realize this is a quandry for you, as other women are interested in your decision on this issue. They could take your decision out of context and you could spend countless energy coralling everyone back in.

IMHO, you have three choices:

1. The hair could be pulled out, leaving an unsightly bald spot that other ladies wouldn't want to emulate.

2. The hair ball could be surgicallly cut and removed. This would leave a "gap" in her hair that she could maybe develop a hairstyle that could cover up. The other ladies wouldn't want to emulate that either.

Note: These two option have the appearance of punishing the young lady for not taking care of her hair properly while in the hospital. Or.......allow the lady to wear a wig until the hair is at a decent length again.

3. Allow the young lady to cut her hair where she can look nice and keep her self esteem. The church folks will understand (I hope!) that this is a special circumstance.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Pastor Steadfast...

This sister needs to be the one who decides what she's gonna do with her hair...and she needs to know that you support whatever decision SHE makes...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Titus_2_3

If there's a local School Of Beauty or Beauty Academy near, have her go there. These teachers/directors may be able to remove the hair ball. They study all phases of hair, that's their business. If they are not able to find the formula to detangle it, possibly they could clip small sections and the tangle will be realeased. Maybe there's still hope and only a small amount can be removed.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

In the same chapter on Hair. It talks about men having long hair. Why is it thought that if a woman cuts her hair at anytime after conversion. That she will never regain the same position with the Lord.

Ever wonder about many of the men in the UPCI that have at one point or another had somewhat long hair.

Why is that all they need to do is cut it short.

And they are right back into the graces of men and God?

It all adds up to a onesided issue.

Have her get it cut and treated.

Much like many fo the woman in church that have had head injuries.

When part of their hair is shaved off.

Should a woman not pursue Chemo therapy.

Because u know it will fall out?

It is all in the spirit of her heart.

Once it is taken care of... her hair will grow back and in most cases longer and more beautiful.

Nathan Eckstadt
Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
In the same chapter on Hair. It talks about men having long hair. Why is it thought that if a woman cuts her hair at anytime after conversion. That she will never regain the same position with the Lord.

Ever wonder about many of the men in the UPCI that have at one point or another had somewhat long hair.

Why is that all they need to do is cut it short.

And they are right back into the graces of men and God?

It all adds up to a onesided issue.

Have her get it cut and treated.

Much like many fo the woman in church that have had head injuries.

When part of their hair is shaved off.

Should a woman not pursue Chemo therapy.

Because u know it will fall out?

It is all in the spirit of her heart.

Once it is taken care of... her hair will grow back and in most cases longer and more beautiful.

Nathan Eckstadt
Good post.