Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

The Error of the Wicked

"So hear my final words, my friends. Now that I have warned you about what’s ahead, keep up your guard and don’t let unprincipled people pull you away from the sure ground of the truth with their lies and misunderstandings. - II Peter 3:17, The Voice Bible

What is the "error (note singularity) of the wicked" to which Peter referred (as it appears in the KJV) . It is evidently clear, to me at least, that the members of the early churches knew its meaning, therefore we should as well. But do we? Tender this question of a dozen Apostolic Pentecostals and don't be surprised if you receive a dozen different answers, with most of them being wrong.

So, what do you believe this phrase, which appears only this one time in the entire Bible, implies?

Last edited by Lafon; 07-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Re: The Error of the Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafon View Post
"So hear my final words, my friends. Now that I have warned you about what’s ahead, keep up your guard and don’t let unprincipled people pull you away from the sure ground of the truth with their lies and misunderstandings. - II Peter 3:17, The Voice Bible

What is the "error (note singularity) of the wicked" to which Peter referred (as it appears in the KJV) . It is evidently clear, to me at least, that the members of the early churches knew its meaning, therefore we should as well. But do we? Tender this question of a dozen Apostolic Pentecostals and don't be surprised if you receive a dozen different answers, with most of them being wrong.

So, what do you believe this phrase, which appears only this one time in the entire Bible, implies?
The singularity of the verse you provided, would you attribute the same rule or intepretive methodology to the following verses as well? If so, what might "the sin" (singularity) be?

Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and THE SIN which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away THE SIN (singularity) of the world.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:

Lafon please by all means tell us what YOU think it is.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Lafon please by all means tell us what YOU think it is.
If I knew then I wouldn't be asking the expert Bible scholars such as yourself
Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
If I knew then I wouldn't be asking the expert Bible scholars such as yourself
I think I detect some sarcasm?

But, may I ask you this question if you are serious?

What indicates an expert Bible scholar?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Administrator

A quick reading from the KJV would suggest to me that the answer is contained within the verse, namely the loss of their steadfastness. The error or mistake was their willingness to give up on or let go of truths they had previously embraced.

Therefore, the "error of the wicked" is the discontinuation of abiding in the truth.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowas View Post
The singularity of the verse you provided, would you attribute the same rule or intepretive methodology to the following verses as well? If so, what might "the sin" (singularity) be?
Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and THE SIN which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away THE SIN (singularity) of the world.
I like what you pointed out.

"Beset" does not mean overcome, although it may lead to that. I believe Peter is speaking
of the temptations and the deceit that is in the world, by which we may be influenced.

The "...error of the wicked..." could mean the SIN in which many have chosen to remain: which
is unbelief.

"Of sin, because they believe not on me."
Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I think I detect some sarcasm?

But, may I ask you this question if you are serious?

What indicates an expert Bible scholar?

No, no sarcasm intended! Do you not call yourself an Evangelist? Is not an Evangelist, according to Paul's statement of Ephesians 4:11-12 one of those whose "function" in the church is to teach the other members so they will be "perfected" and thereby enabled to do the work of ministering to the lost? Should not an Evangelist be an "expert Bible Scholar" to perform such a task in a responsible manner?

Lastly, why do you always respond to questions by tendering yet other questions, instead of first providing a response to the question that has been submitted? That seems to me as if you're being evasive.

BTW, I consider any discourse concerning the principles of God's written word as serious, so for you to make any statement which might suggest otherwise is something I find unnecessary.

Last edited by Lafon; 07-19-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
A quick reading from the KJV would suggest to me that the answer is contained within the verse, namely the loss of their steadfastness. The error or mistake was their willingness to give up on or let go of truths they had previously embraced.

Therefore, the "error of the wicked" is the discontinuation of abiding in the truth.

Aaron, thanks for your response, however, aren't you stating, in essence, that the "righteous" became "wicked" because they failed, either intentionally or unwittingly, to continue in the truth concerning those things which Peter said they "knew beforehand" instead of them being warned that there already existed an "error among the wicked" concerning "these things" he had written about, and unless they remained "steadfast" in their belief of what He had written, they could also fall victim to that same "error."

So, again I feel compelled to ask, What is the "error of the wicked" concerning the things which Peter wrote about, that we must be aware of and on diligent guard against, unless we fall prey to it?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, no sarcasm intended! Do you not call yourself an Evangelist? Is not an Evangelist, according to Paul's statement of Ephesians 4:11-12 one of those whose "function" in the church is to teach the other members so they will be "perfected" and thereby enabled to do the work of ministering to the lost? Should not an Evangelist be an "expert Bible Scholar" to perform such a task in a responsible manner?

Lastly, why do you always respond to questions by tendering yet other questions, instead of first providing a response to the question that has been submitted? That seems to me as if you're being evasive.

BTW, I consider any discourse concerning the principles of God's written word as serious, so for you to make any statement which might suggest otherwise is something I find unnecessary.

Lafon, you do not really want to see the smartelic "evangelist" answer you. He gives us some real doozies at times....LOL

Last edited by Sean; 07-19-2015 at 03:19 PM.