Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Islamic Issues and News
Facebook

Notices

Islamic Issues and News Discuss Islam and report on current issues regarding Islam

Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

Re: Islam vs. Christianity Part 1

Unfortunately my friend this joke is an endless one. It takes one to have an opinion. Two to have an argument. Three to form an alliance, pound the third out of existance, then back to #2. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

I dunno. Why do you ask? You going to see this one? It's a nice clip of Rumsfield (a young hearty version at that) shaking his buddy Hussein's hand just before the shipment of weapons and "insecticide precursers" to Iraq in 1983.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
WII,
Are you going to see this movie?

http://www.thestoning.com/
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam View Post
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

I dunno. Why do you ask? You going to see this one? It's a nice clip of Rumsfield (a young hearty version at that) shaking his buddy Hussein's hand just before the shipment of weapons and "insecticide precursers" to Iraq in 1983.
He probably knew Hussein would kill his own people and save us the trouble, ya think?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

You are giving a lot of credit. Do you think these guys discuss or care who kills who with the stuff they send over here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
He probably knew Hussein would kill his own people and save us the trouble, ya think?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Banned

And I question neither your belief nor your faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Assalam Brother Walks,

In all honesty I am not exactly sure who penned the words we find in the Gospels. I do know that the authorship of the Gospels is largely attributed to the one they are named after. So Matthew is believed to be the author of the Gospel of Matthew. However, we have to keep in mind how there are different ways in which a writing can be composed. For example, there is a wonderful video (I think it’s titled The Gospel of Matthew) that takes the viewer through the Gospel of Matthew verse by verse in the New International Version of the New Testament. In the video Matthew is an older man, graying and partially bald. He’s sitting with a younger believer and is simply speaking while the younger believer pens his words. My point is that we don’t know if Matthew physically penned the words of the Gospel attributed to him. He may have been dictating stories as he remembered them to another individual for scripting. So, for all we know, Matthew may have actually said, “…and then Jesus saw me, Matthew, sitting at my collector’s booth…", but the young man taking dictation may have written, “As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collector's booth;”. This was common practice. We even see this with the Hadiths.

I may be mistaken (please forgive me if I am), but from what I’ve read Muhammad (PBUH) was illiterate and couldn’t read or write (hence the Quran itself is viewed as a miracle in the Muslim mind). When Muhammad (PBUH) would teach, or expound about a truth, others would write his words on anything they could find to preserve his teachings. This of course leads us to the often heated debate regarding which Hadiths are authentic, and that’s outside of the purview of our discussion, but I pray you see my point.

This is not a point of disagreement to me. The Hadiths are mini-stories, teachings, or even second-hand stories from those close to the Prophet and his immediate followers. Many were told by family members or friends. I noticed in Bukhari (for the most part) the sources appear to be identified as to who and where, or unknown if that is the case. Hadiths are useful for examples in practical situations. Hadiths at times appear to be contradictory. You are correct in that one or the other often leads to heated debate (the likes of which back in Texas would result in minimum blows or maximum shootings lol). Arabs can truly DEBATE. The Quran (and other Books referenced in the Quran) IS understood to be the Word of God or Allah and as such not to be questioned.

Bro. Walks, I want you to know that I have a great respect for Islam and I find the faith beautiful in its classical form. I am saddened in that so many extremists have taken your faith and made it a weapon, causing the Western world to malign your people so.

It is a habit of ours (Americans) to categorize people. People from communist countries used to be our 'enemies'. We had lots of terms for them. Now Muslims are our 'enemies'. The 'category' is maligned and the people get forgotten. Sometimes I do get surprised however. I noted the special on Fox today on the 2 million refugees in Pakistan. Those 2 MM refugees are Muslims and those Muslims are not "jihadists". They are people who are victims of "jihadists". I have hopes for change in Iran - what those Muslim people are standing up to are the extremist, jihadist sect that has control over their country. They are Muslims, and they are standing up and speaking against what their country has become. Who knows that someday each side will see the other as people? There are more common values than divergent beliefs.

It also saddens me that Apostolic Christians aren’t more loving and in greater dialogue with Muslims, because historically Islam offered asylum to non-Trinitarian Christians (largely Arians and Modalists) fleeing Catholic persecution (of course we were forced to pay the Zakat, but that’s another issue also).

<grins> which is higher? Zakat or social security?

In a sense, your people were a godsend to non-Trinitarians and others that the Catholic Church labeled heretics. Of course, the sword and the sermon struck terror in the hearts of the Catholics in that day. When I was younger and searching for truth I almost converted to Islam because of its strict Monotheism. I did attend several services at Mosque and underwent Wudu. However, I discovered Apostolic Christianity and found the one God in the man Christ Jesus (PBUH).

As our own country has been a haven for Muslims from hotspots all over the world. (even though we force them to pay social security / income taxes lol)

I’ve truly enjoyed this dialogue and I pray we can continue.

Peace be unto you and yours. Your friend in the journey,

Bro. Chris
Regards to you,

d
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

You have said that to be a Christian we have to speak in tongues. But you forgot that speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. And a gift should be looked for, and with wisdom. But, since there are gifts that are better than speaking in tongues, we should look for them and not for that. What profit has it to me? How worth is it to me? Instead of being a metal with a simple and rough sound, I prefer being a church organ playing a sweet melody to be accepted of Gor up in Heaven.
Wilson Lima, Pr.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam View Post
Truth? I simply got tired of typing. I will now put aside typing up the other 100 or so as honestly I did not feel like doing the first list. I just wanted to close Prax's arguing and I (at least for the time being) appear to have been successful. He is now bashing every comment from me on other parts of the forum and doing everything possible to avoid this question. (laughing)

Now I will be serious and stop the flippant comments.

I chose Islam because the base beliefs, teachings, and lifestyle (see original post before this became a this-for-that discussion) match my own values and I prefer the more conservative values and teachings of Islam to what is taught and practiced in modern churches today. There is no other reason. I do not wish more wives lol or any of the other "extras" that are associated with Muslims etc etc (laughing at the thought)

I also do not know every detail of Mohammed's life. If you have ever at least tried to research Islam you will understand that said research involves wading through arabic translations and once translation starts, the mismatches begin. So unfortunately I am the wrong one to explain or justify anything that was or has been said concerning any of his activities. I know this, whether he practiced what he preached his TEACHINGS appear to me to reflect a high moral standard that few can achieve.
And we follow Jesus who was more perfect that any lifestyle choice can make with morals that are too high for us to reach. Hence we are perfected in Christ Jesus, the Son of God, the true and living King.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

I found it interesting that a Muslim friend of mine believed that Jesus was indeed perhaps the most righteous man to ever live. However, he believes that Jesus wasn't complete without marriage which, he states, is a blessing from Allah.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

I am just using own logic:-)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

You follow whoever is behind the microphone in front of you. Jesus would be tossed right out of an Apostolic church (see Isaiah 50:6). At best you can make the claim to profit from but certainly have no claim to follow the teachings of Jesus. Crow and beat your chests to one another or to someone who does not know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefaith2 View Post
And we follow Jesus who was more perfect that any lifestyle choice can make with morals that are too high for us to reach. Hence we are perfected in Christ Jesus, the Son of God, the true and living King.