Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Romans 8:9 makes it pretty clear that anyone who has not received the Spirit doesn't belong to Christ, making such people not Christian by name, no matter what they call themselves.

So, there aren't two categories of Christians, those filled with the Spirit and those not filled with the Spirit.
What of the guy who hears the gospel, repents, gets baptized in Christ's name, but has not yet received the Holy Ghost?
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:03 AM
votivesoul's Avatar
votivesoul votivesoul is offline
Administrator


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 4,443
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What of the guy who hears the gospel, repents, gets baptized in Christ's name, but has not yet received the Holy Ghost?
If any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. Believers are adopted by the Holy Spirit, and it is through the Spirit of God's Son whereby people are able to "cry Abba". Without the Spirit it is impossible to be born again. It is the Spirit that anoints or christens (makes Christ-like) a believer, and etc..

Until then a person may say that they subscribe to the Christian religion and believe it and its claims as true and even practie it as a way of life, but they cannot say they are Christlike (i.e. a Christian) in any fully literal, actual sense until the Spirit of Christ adopts and anoints and gives them new life, etc.

The question then as per the original post is about speaking in tongues (which I didn't even address; it appears it was assumed to be implied?). If it's not the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then per your question, one could argue that such a person (in your query) likely received the Spirit at some point in his experience, making the issue moot.

But if speaking with other tongues is the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then it's a very wonderful thing that the person in your question has experienced, but they still need to press on until they receive the Spirit, or they do not have the right to claim they belong to the Lord, have been adopted, are born again, or have been anointed, that is, all of which makes a person Christlike, or Christian.
__________________
For anyone devoted to His fear:

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:33 AM
JamesGlen JamesGlen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 303
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
You and Romans 8:9 don't agree. Take it up with the Boss.
I just misunderstood the 2nd paragraph of your post, friend.







So they think they’ve got this 144,000 pegged. 144K Spirit filled JW’s...mercy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:08 AM
JamesGlen JamesGlen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 303
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What of the guy who hears the gospel, repents, gets baptized in Christ's name, but has not yet received the Holy Ghost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
If any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. Believers are adopted by the Holy Spirit, and it is through the Spirit of God's Son whereby people are able to "cry Abba". Without the Spirit it is impossible to be born again. It is the Spirit that anoints or christens (makes Christ-like) a believer, and etc..

Until then a person may say that they subscribe to the Christian religion and believe it and its claims as true and even practie it as a way of life, but they cannot say they are Christlike (i.e. a Christian) in any fully literal, actual sense until the Spirit of Christ adopts and anoints and gives them new life, etc.

The question then as per the original post is about speaking in tongues (which I didn't even address; it appears it was assumed to be implied?). If it's not the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then per your question, one could argue that such a person (in your query) likely received the Spirit at some point in his experience, making the issue moot.

But if speaking with other tongues is the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then it's a very wonderful thing that the person in your question has experienced, but they still need to press on until they receive the Spirit, or they do not have the right to claim they belong to the Lord, have been adopted, are born again, or have been anointed, that is, all of which makes a person Christlike, or Christian.
That guy, would be my dad.
Never met w the church. Around 4 years ago, my elder pastor came to my parents house(my mom had explained things off and on to my dad for 40 years, he never “hooked up” w it)and explained the message to my dad. He “hit his knees” and asked for forgiveness as a sinner(following the pastors lead) and that evening was baptised in the name of Jesus Christ.
My dad was at that time noticeably slipping w Alzheimer’s, but he could still personally understand that he wasn’t right w God, so he was trying to get right w God.
Since then, he is much worse(nothing shy of a daily nightmare for my mom and sometimes my siblings and I, trying to handle him), almost in nursing home now.

But anyway, never spoke in tongues as evidence of being Spirit filled. So I suppose he falls in the category of not going to make it, because he was never spirit filled born again.
I guess most would probably back “the pressure” off a little to help a guy like me to feel better and say, “well, your dads in God’s hands, we’re not the judge”....


I realize of course, there are tons of others (in our “3 step faith”)w this same dilemma. I am reminded of the verse, “How much more shall He give the Spirit, or heavenly gifts, (whatever that verse exactly reads) to those that ask... And if we do the first 2 steps, He’s the baptized of the 3rd step...but in my dads case, well....back to Gods the judge not us, He’s got His reasons, and my dad never spoke in tongues, so...it’s looking like the lake of fire, no?


It’s in God’s hands. That’s where I’ll leave it.
Doesn’t matter anyway, the JW’s have the 144k tickets!

Last edited by JamesGlen; 02-16-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 AM
navygoat1998's Avatar
navygoat1998 navygoat1998 is offline
Repent and believe the Gospel!


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 3,047
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What of the guy who hears the gospel, repents, gets baptized in Christ's name, but has not yet received the Holy Ghost?
What about the guy who hears the Gospel, repents, and receives the Holy Ghost, but has not been Baptized in the Jesus' Name?
__________________
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:4)

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 33,313
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
What about the guy who hears the Gospel, repents, and receives the Holy Ghost, but has not been Baptized in the Jesus' Name?
I guess your hypothetical neophyte didn’t hear as well as you claim.
Wholeness of the Bible is what needs to be obeyed. American Churchanity is all abbreviation and opinion. Repent, and be baptized all of you in the name of Jesus Christ and you will receive the Holy Ghost. So if your neophyte really was listening he or she would of been baptized in Jesus name.
__________________
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:52 PM
votivesoul's Avatar
votivesoul votivesoul is offline
Administrator


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 4,443
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
If any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. Believers are adopted by the Holy Spirit, and it is through the Spirit of God's Son whereby people are able to "cry Abba". Without the Spirit it is impossible to be born again. It is the Spirit that anoints or christens (makes Christ-like) a believer, and etc..

Until then a person may say that they subscribe to the Christian religion and believe it and its claims as true and even practie it as a way of life, but they cannot say they are Christlike (i.e. a Christian) in any fully literal, actual sense until the Spirit of Christ adopts and anoints and gives them new life, etc.

The question then as per the original post is about speaking in tongues (which I didn't even address; it appears it was assumed to be implied?). If it's not the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then per your question, one could argue that such a person (in your query) likely received the Spirit at some point in his experience, making the issue moot.

But if speaking with other tongues is the only evidence of anyone receiving the Holy Spirit, then it's a very wonderful thing that the person in your question has experienced, but they still need to press on until they receive the Spirit, or they do not have the right to claim they belong to the Lord, have been adopted, are born again, or have been anointed, that is, all of which makes a person Christlike, or Christian.
I would like to add that Paul wrote we are all baptized by one Spirit into the Body (of Christ), so we see that receiving the Holy Spirit is the only means whereby a person may correctly state that they are a member of the Body of Christ, outside of which there is no salvation.
__________________
For anyone devoted to His fear:

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM
votivesoul's Avatar
votivesoul votivesoul is offline
Administrator


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 4,443
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What of the guy who hears the gospel, repents, gets baptized in Christ's name, but has not yet received the Holy Ghost?
To keep going on this, I would also state that such a person can rightly say they are being drawn into a saving relationship with the Lord through the work of the Holy Spirit, but, I would also caution with the following:

The only way the church in Jerusalem was convinced by Simon Peter that the Gentiles were genuinely granted repentance by God was that He gave Cornelius and his household the Holy Spirit the same as He had given them.

Short of Simon's testimony about the Gentiles receiving the Holy Spirit, it's hard to believe the Jerusalem church would have been convinced that God had granted them repentance at all.

So, saying that to say this:

Lots of people "repent" ans get baptized, even in the name of Jesus, but it's hard to truly measure whether or not God granted them the repentance they claimed to have undergone, unless God also gives them the Holy Spirit as proof.

There are all sorts of reasons people cry out to God in a moment of crisis and of prayer at an altar, none of which might indicate that they truly want Jesus to be the Lord and Owner of their life for as long as they live. They might just want a temporary catharsis, or a "get me out of a jam" type Savior, a Mr. Fixit Mechanic to make things better at home, or etc.-- basically Jesus as Fire Insurance, and not actually care too much about counting the cost for the long haul, taking up their cross daily, to wholly dedicate themselves to serving God and loving Him with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength.

But the person who receives the Holy Spirit, even if they bail later on, has at least the Scriptural, Books of Acts evidence that they were granted repentance by God.
__________________
For anyone devoted to His fear:

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 02-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I would like to add that Paul wrote we are all baptized by one Spirit into the Body (of Christ), so we see that receiving the Holy Spirit is the only means whereby a person may correctly state that they are a member of the Body of Christ, outside of which there is no salvation.
Paul also wrote that we have been baptized into His death, to rise and walk in newness of Life. Peter also said baptism saves us, and he connected to water and Noah's case, indicating he was referring to water baptism.

Baptism is for the remission of sins, we wash away our sins in baptism, calling on the name of the Lord.

There seem to be statements concerning baptism's role in salvation, and others concerning the gift of the Holy Ghost, that place both experiences on what appears to be an equal footing.

We can definitely be baptized. But none of us can give ourselves the Spirit, nor can we literally give the Spirit to someone else. God has to do that.

So we believe, repent, and are baptized. It is up to God to do the rest, right? The believer must have faith, but that faith has to be a work of the Spirit by His Word, so still it is ultimately a work of God.

Given the Bible's statements overall, I cannot with a clear conscience tell a brother who has believed, repented, and been baptized, and is seeking the Holy Ghost, but for whatever reason has not yet received, that such a one has no connection to Christ, that he does not belong to Christ at all, that he is still an alien sinner separated from God, that he has no right to claim to be a Christian.

I would not say he has arrived, got it in the bag, ticket to heaven punched and ready to go. But I also could not say he is completely outside the household of faith altogether, either.

Galatians 4:6 says "because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into your hearts crying 'Abba, Father.'" This is a clear unmistakable statement that people receive the Spirit BECAUSE they are (already) sons. Romans 8:14 says as many as are led by the Spirit, THEY are the sons of God.

Thus, those being led by the Spirit are counted by Him as sons (children), and because of that, He gives them His Spirit. Jesus your Father will give the Spirit to those who ask. He is already their Father, which means they are already His children, and He will (BECAUSE of that paternal relationship, BECAUSE they are sons - just like Paul said) give them His Holy Spirit.

This doesn't change the fact that it is with the Spirit that we are sealed unto the day of redemption, or that new birth is of both water and Spirit, nor does it do away with any other Scripture stressing the importance of the Spirit and the work of regeneration. But I honestly can't see how Paul's statement in Romans 8:9 is not given further elaboration, additional information, etc by other passages on the subject. Romans 8 is contrasting the believer with the unbeliever, Christian vs Jew, to be more to the point. So it seems to be stretching the context a wee bit to give it a blanket application to include those following the leading of the Spirit in responding to the Word but who have not yet received the fullness of the gift.

Besides, Jesus taught we must believe we have the things we ask for in order to receive them. This seems to indicate a person must at some point believe they DO IN FACT have the Spirit - on the Promise of God - in order for that Promise to manifest in the experience of the believer. Does it not? So, would that not also have bearing on this issue?
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/


Last edited by Esaias; 02-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Re: What are the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGlen View Post
That guy, would be my dad.
Never met w the church. Around 4 years ago, my elder pastor came to my parents house(my mom had explained things off and on to my dad for 40 years, he never “hooked up” w it)and explained the message to my dad. He “hit his knees” and asked for forgiveness as a sinner(following the pastors lead) and that evening was baptised in the name of Jesus Christ.
My dad was at that time noticeably slipping w Alzheimer’s, but he could still personally understand that he wasn’t right w God, so he was trying to get right w God.
Since then, he is much worse(nothing shy of a daily nightmare for my mom and sometimes my siblings and I, trying to handle him), almost in nursing home now.

But anyway, never spoke in tongues as evidence of being Spirit filled. So I suppose he falls in the category of not going to make it, because he was never spirit filled born again.
I guess most would probably back “the pressure” off a little to help a guy like me to feel better and say, “well, your dads in God’s hands, we’re not the judge”....


I realize of course, there are tons of others (in our “3 step faith”)w this same dilemma. I am reminded of the verse, “How much more shall He give the Spirit, or heavenly gifts, (whatever that verse exactly reads) to those that ask... And if we do the first 2 steps, He’s the baptized of the 3rd step...but in my dads case, well....back to Gods the judge not us, He’s got His reasons, and my dad never spoke in tongues, so...it’s looking like the lake of fire, no?


It’s in God’s hands. That’s where I’ll leave it.
Doesn’t matter anyway, the JW’s have the 144k tickets!
I will pray for your family and your dad. That's honestly all I know to do or say at this point.

Sometimes I suspect we make things more complicated than they need to be.
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why are there differences in generations? TylerCWells Deep Waters 12 12-07-2011 06:02 PM
Differences of the two at the merger? crazyjoe Fellowship Hall 53 03-31-2009 04:26 PM
Differences in Pastors Margies3 Fellowship Hall 7 01-28-2008 11:03 PM
Irreconcilable Differences Nahum Fellowship Hall 115 06-22-2007 12:49 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Amanah
- by n david

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.