Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

How To Have Church During Martial Law

It might be helpful to have a plan on how we operate under martial law.
When travel is suspended and you cant moves about freely.
It is the will of God that we operate as a body if they (government) come against the church, are there workarounds to minister within the body? Obviously we are getting a taste of what that might be like now, but when the church is singled out in a purposeful way, by God's grace we will carry on.

Here is a document I received from Whirlpool, it authorizes me to go past legal checkpoints. Do the big corporations know something I don't. Is our present situation going to be purposely,(but unnecessarily)escalated to nationwide martial law?
Essential+Consumer+Services+Letter_COVID19.pdf
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 PM
Master ThreadKiller

Re: How To Have Church During Martial Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by james34 View Post
It might be helpful to have a plan on how we operate under martial law.
When travel is suspended and you cant moves about freely.
It is the will of God that we operate as a body if they (government) come against the church, are there workarounds to minister within the body? Obviously we are getting a taste of what that might be like now, but when the church is singled out in a purposeful way, by God's grace we will carry on.

Here is a document I received from Whirlpool, it authorizes me to go past legal checkpoints. Do the big corporations know something I don't. Is our present situation going to be purposely,(but unnecessarily)escalated to nationwide martial law?
Attachment 6509
Wow, appliance repair is an "essential service" that authorises travel during martial law????

Who issues these documents? How would a police officer or National Guardsman know they were legitimate? Can I just issue my own? If private companies can do it why not private people? Or churches for that matter?

Anyway, we have church they way we've pretty much always done it, which is the way it has been done since the days of the apostles. We gather at a set time, we pray, we sing, we testify, we worship, we read the Word, we exhort one another, we eat, we fellowship and discuss, etc. Rinse and repeat.

But that's house church.

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Wow, appliance repair is an "essential service" that authorises travel during martial law????

Who issues these documents? How would a police officer or National Guardsman know they were legitimate? Can I just issue my own? If private companies can do it why not private people? Or churches for that matter?

Anyway, we have church they way we've pretty much always done it, which is the way it has been done since the days of the apostles. We gather at a set time, we pray, we sing, we testify, we worship, we read the Word, we exhort one another, we eat, we fellowship and discuss, etc. Rinse and repeat.

But that's house church.
That was a document emailed to me by whirlpool, also have one from electrolux. It seems its more about letting you know they are in complete control of your every move, than it is about stopping you from moving.

A pastor i sat under told me when he was in Romania(under communism) that the church met in secret at various homes, often the next meeting would not be announced but you would have to be led of the Spirit to know where to meet.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Master ThreadKiller

For those meeting in small groups at home for the first time, here's a starter pack.

There are 5 basic things the church is to do when meeting: Pray, sing, read the Word, minister, eat.

Pray:
1 Timothy 2:1-4 KJV
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; [2] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. [3] For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; [4] Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Pray for rulers, for neighbors, for one another, for all in society.

Sing:
Colossians 3:16 KJV
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Singing is for a purpose: teaching and admonition. Not entertainment.

Read/teach the Word:
1 Timothy 4:13 KJV
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

The Word is to be read. Elders are to exhort and teach.

Minister:
1 Corinthians 14:26-40 KJV
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. [27] If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. [28] But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. [29] Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. [30] If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. [31] For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. [32] And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. [33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. [34] Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. [35] And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. [36] What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? [37] If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. [38] But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. [39] Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. [40] Let all things be done decently and in order.

Each member should allow God to use them to build up and meet the needs of the whole assembly.

Eat:
1 Corinthians 11:23-34 KJV
For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it , and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it , in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. [31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. [32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. [33] Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. [34] And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

The Lord's Supper is a fellowship meal that includes a loaf of bread broken and distributed to each, and a cup of wine shared by each, in remembrance of the Lord's suffering and death (and resurrection) to make us one body sharing in one covenant.

The order in which these are done is not specified. Whatever works for each assembly is fine as far as I can tell. Our experience has led us to have two basic formats, what we call a short meeting and a long meeting.

The short meeting is just that - short and sweet, simple, basic, no frills. We gather together, we pray, take prayer requests, pray for one another as needed, we sing and testify and minister as the Lord leads, a passage of Scripture is read and taught through discussion and question/answer aka dialogue, we pray again, we eat, we fellowship and discuss, etc.

The long meeting is a bit more structured and includes a lot of corporate praying of the psalms, a Profession of Faith, a more structured and detailed prayer list, testifying, singing, ministering, reading, teaching, discussion, and a fellowship meal/Lord's Supper.

Which one we do largely depends on the needs, the circumstances, how the Lord is leading, etc.

If you are currently not able to meet with other brethren but are just at home, the same approach can be used. Gather your family, pray, sing, read, teach, exhort, discuss, and eat. Very simple and nothing needed except a Bible and a willing heart. God can lead anyone if they are willing to follow.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Last edited by Esaias; 03-24-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

I have never attended a home church, wish I knew of one I would like to check it out.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Master ThreadKiller

Quote:
That was a document emailed to me by whirlpool, also have one from electrolux. It seems its more about letting you know they are in complete control of your every move, than it is about stopping you from moving.

A pastor i sat under told me when he was in Romania(under communism) that the church met in secret at various homes, often the next meeting would not be announced but you would have to be led of the Spirit to know where to meet.
Interesting. Makes me think of this:

Galatians 2:4 KJV
And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

The church has had to deal with spies before. But I think at this point if it is simply announced to the brethren where the next meeting is to be it should be fine. Assuming everyone knows one another, that is...

Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 PM
Master ThreadKiller

Quote:
I have never attended a home church, wish I knew of one I would like to check it out.
Just get together with at least 1 or 2 other believers at somebody's house and have church. That's house church. There's nothing mysterious or extraordinary about it.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:31 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Maybe Elder Esaias can live stream for us.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Most of my Christian life was in house Churches. Its not as structured and formal altho as Esaias pointed out there are Biblical guidelines. There is a greater chance for meaningful fellowship and love. Its not about "hot sermons". One can actually get to know the Pastor and be friends with him (or them) as the case may be.

I dont consider home Church in itself the answer to all things but saints do need to think about it. It is the wave of the future. Your Pastors past is our future.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
For those meeting in small groups at home for the first time, here's a starter pack.

There are 5 basic things the church is to do when meeting: Pray, sing, read the Word, minister, eat.

Pray:
1 Timothy 2:1-4 KJV
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; [2] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. [3] For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; [4] Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Pray for rulers, for neighbors, for one another, for all in society.

Sing:
Colossians 3:16 KJV
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Singing is for a purpose: teaching and admonition. Not entertainment.

Read/teach the Word:
1 Timothy 4:13 KJV
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

The Word is to be read. Elders are to exhort and teach.

Minister:
1 Corinthians 14:26-40 KJV
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. [27] If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. [28] But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. [29] Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. [30] If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. [31] For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. [32] And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. [33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. [34] Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. [35] And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. [36] What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? [37] If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. [38] But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. [39] Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. [40] Let all things be done decently and in order.

Each member should allow God to use them to build up and meet the needs of the whole assembly.

Eat:
1 Corinthians 11:23-34 KJV
For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it , and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it , in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. [31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. [32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. [33] Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. [34] And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

The Lord's Supper is a fellowship meal that includes a loaf of bread broken and distributed to each, and a cup of wine shared by each, in remembrance of the Lord's suffering and death (and resurrection) to make us one body sharing in one covenant.

The order in which these are done is not specified. Whatever works for each assembly is fine as far as I can tell. Our experience has led us to have two basic formats, what we call a short meeting and a long meeting.

The short meeting is just that - short and sweet, simple, basic, no frills. We gather together, we pray, take prayer requests, pray for one another as needed, we sing and testify and minister as the Lord leads, a passage of Scripture is read and taught through discussion and question/answer aka dialogue, we pray again, we eat, we fellowship and discuss, etc.

The long meeting is a bit more structured and includes a lot of corporate praying of the psalms, a Profession of Faith, a more structured and detailed prayer list, testifying, singing, ministering, reading, teaching, discussion, and a fellowship meal/Lord's Supper.

Which one we do largely depends on the needs, the circumstances, how the Lord is leading, etc.

If you are currently not able to meet with other brethren but are just at home, the same approach can be used. Gather your family, pray, sing, read, teach, exhort, discuss, and eat. Very simple and nothing needed except a Bible and a willing heart. God can lead anyone if they are willing to follow.
As govt becomes more intrusive and society continues to break down, this could be in our future. Now is a good time to practice.