Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Re: Something I read today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
From Jason Dulle's blog:

I wonder what he could be referring to?
His answer:

Scalia,

Such as…I’m not saying. Nothing personal, but it’s been my experience that the safest way to swim through organizational waters is to keep one’s mouth closed. This is particularly the case in organizations whose articles of faith is longer than most grocery lists, and requires its own separate book to explain what it means.

Jason
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Who is he? I'm assuming he's UPC?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
That was a great blog post. So true.
Yes. Very, very true. Maybe more true than some realize!
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
Who is he? I'm assuming he's UPC?
He is UPC. Graduated from CLC. I think he teaches at the UPC graduate school, the Urshan Institute. He has a web site with good articles on a variety of subjects. http://www.apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
He is UPC. Graduated from CLC. I think he teaches at the UPC graduate school, the Urshan Institute. He has a web site with good articles on a variety of subjects. http://www.apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/
He has some extremely thought-provoking articles there!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Correction: Jason use to be on the Urshan faculty listing but I see he is no longer there. http://urshan.ccsct.com/page.cfm?p=1...lter=1&start=1
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Cool Re: Something I read today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Flat Earth, maybe?
Made me think of a church I pass everyday on my way to work. It used to be an AOG church (and probably still is). A couple years ago the name on their sign changed to " Flatland" . Not sure how that ties into Christianity?

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Completely Free

Broken and poured out for the love of His creation
God paid a debt that He didn't owe
Bearing my pain for not one was His equal
And wearing my shame so that I could know him

He gave us all He had to give
So that we could truly live
So let's give all we have to Him
So that we can be completely free

And as they placed the thorns on His brow
As they drove the nails into His hands and His feet
He looked past the moment
To where we are now
And gave us the victory
From what seemed His defeat

He said here's my body
Its broken in two
Here is my blood let it cover you
All that I have is now yours to receive
Payment in full so that you could be free

Oh without a doubt completely
So that we can be completely free

Lyrics by Big Daddy Weave

Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.1 Sam 12:24

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Comfortable Christianity
by Horatius Bonar

Is the Christianity of our day of the lofty kind of which apostolic men have left us so bright an example? Is it not feeble, indolent, self-indulgent, second-rate? Is there in it anything of the presentation of ‘living sacrifices’ to God, which is our acceptable and reasonable service? Are we not seeking our own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s? Are we not feasting when the world is starving? Are we not at ease in Zion? Are we not sitting still and in luxurious comfort, when many noble and self-sacrificing ones amongst us are rushing into the toil or the war, and, for want of being supported by their fellow Christians, are sinking under the burden and heat of the day?

O easy, luxurious, comfortable Christian! While you are lolling on your couch the sinner is going down to woe! While you are soothing your conscience with the opiates of religious routine; or pampering the flesh; or killing time in mirth and music, at the concert, or oratorio, or social party; or idling days in sport; or talking politics; or drinking in the applause of public opinion; or sunning yourself in the blaze of the ballroom; or absorbed in the latest novel; or engrossed with the unmeaningness of the card table;—men are dying, the present scene is passing, the eternal world is hastening on, and the Judge is at the door!

Rouse thyself from thy indulgence, and work! Do it with thy might. Spend and be spent. Give thy money to the Master; give thy strength and thy life to Him. For He is at hand. He may be nearer than thou thinkest. And how shouldst thou like to be caught by Him lounging on thy soft couch, or feasting at thy well-spread table, when thou shouldst have been working for Him, or fighting His battles,—visiting His brethren, soothing His sorrowing children, ministering to His poor disciples, grudging no weariness or hardship for a Master like Him?