Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
apostolic, church, church naples, naples

Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Church Planting

Church Planting?

The terminology "Church Planting" just seems like an old-fashioned, traditional, not out of the box approach to things. Granted there have been countless successful, innovative church planters. But the expression, "church planting" seems so uninviting.

When I begin to think of planting, I picture a sweaty, blistered, struggling man drudging his way through the fields planting seeds with a hopeful optimism that all of the agricultural aspects of a successful harvest are present. Granted, building a church is hard work and takes an extremely dedicated, resilient person. But our mindset must be adjusted a little bit into thinking that building a church is more than some painfully, arduous task that has to be a slow and even at times unproductive. Look at the words of Jesus when He begins to encourage the disciples to reach the lost, John 4:34,36.

Jesus said, "The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. As you look around right now, wouldn't you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I'm telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what's right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It's harvest time! [36] "The Harvester isn't waiting. He's taking his pay, gathering in this grain that's ripe for eternal life. Now the Sower is arm in arm with the Harvester, triumphant. That's the truth of the saying, 'This one sows, that one harvests.' I sent you to harvest a field you never worked. Without lifting a finger, you have walked in on a field worked long and hard by others."

In this text He breaks ALL the rules for typical planting and harvesting.

1. Successful Church Growth Must Take A Long Time- "...wouldn't you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest?" What Jesus is saying here is that according to your preconceived ideas of planting and harvesting that there are laws that should restrict you from experiencing growth. It's unfortunate that the guy who is experiencing rapid growth is always accused of doing something wrong. "Oh, well they are not really a church. They are just a social club." Or the ever more popular accusation "They really are not preaching the message any longer!" In doing this and mischaracterizing church planters that are experiencing tremendous growth we have almost severed the possibility of our churches experiencing similar results. When we look at the first church in the book of Acts growing from 120 to 3000 in the blink of an eye, we have to question if these statements would be accurate (Acts 2:41). The book of Acts church growth is further described as "growing daily" (Acts 2:47). It is a sobering question that is often worth asking "Are we like the book of Acts church?"

2. Sometimes We Just Have To Wait For Growth to Happen- "the harvester is not waiting..." There are countless fields that have already been planted, watered and are waiting for some brave, bold individual to step in to them and harvest the fields. I would never want to minimize the labors of those that have diligently plowed the fields and opened doors of opportunity for others to step through, but there are fields that are white and ready to harvest. Jesus is asking the question "What are you waiting for?" Our prayer must be that God would open our eyes to see the hungry masses that are longing for someone to come to them and offer them that hope that their heart has been searching for. Lady

Liberty stands in the New York's Harbor with this inscription at her base-

Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

This so aptly describes the spiritual state of people around the world. They are hungry, homeless, yearning to breathe a life of spiritual freedom. As God's church we have what they are looking for, but we have to be more than an immoveable statue standing with the Light lifted in the air. We cannot wait for the lost to come to the Light, we must take the Light to the lost.

3. Our Growth Will Be Equal to How Much We Work- "I sent you to harvest a field you never worked" . I know this can sound like a misleading statement and be perceived by some that church growth is like winning the evangelism lottery. But again, let me stress, planting a church is extremely hard work and not for lazy people! But understand this is not merely some secular career path or something that can be done with just our own personal gifts and talents. This is more than doing a work for God, this is doing a work with God. Your growth is not confined or limited to the amount of work that you do, rather it is connected with a God who is able to give increase that breaks all the laws of the natural. We see all throughout the book of Acts that the first "Church-Planters" often times found themselves stepping into a city and entire communities were transformed by their message. It's easy for us to come to the conclusion that it was more than just hard work, sweat and perseverance. This came about by God giving increase.

There are principles and truths that we must gleam from in the first church. Our mission must never to redefine or change the church into what we think it should be, but rather, let us rediscover what the church was in the book of Acts and use them as our model. We must be a living, breathing body that is willing to change our approaches and methods, while we still hold firmly to the message of Jesus Christ.

http://www.newlifegg.com
Church Naples
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Re: Church Planting

Awesome. This is my vision of "Church," on an individual level, too.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Banned

The first church didn't plant churches the way we do. Frankly, they were believers gathering in homes. No building fund, salaries, or overhead. The faith spread like wild fire.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The first church didn't plant churches the way we do. Frankly, they were believers gathering in homes. No building fund, salaries, or overhead. The faith spread like wild fire.
you have to see us entering a similar type here, in Western Christianity, at least; i'm curious the state of other religions, now. I wonder what kind of...upheaval? might be occurring in Eastern Christianity...Islam is obv flipping out, but I note really relatively little in Judaism, say? I'm no doubt uninformed here tho.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

One problem that seems to be over-looked is retention of those who enter the institutional system. Commonly known as backsliders. Retention rates are horrific. To me church planting that mirrors the I.C. with its legalism creates undo stress to all that are involved.

Church planting sounds good but may require great sacrifice of which Western Christianity is not accustom to. Opening ones home to street people, the sick, the uppity, etc can cause problems.

The quest to open bigger cathedrals for the masses seems to still be popular. I heard one pastor tell the church that $10.000 a month is what their looking at for a new building. I don't think the one they are in is full yet.

I guess one could just simply start witnessing to people and baptizing them in their garage or whatever. Turn it all over to the Lord and not worry about the what ifs.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Tear down a perfectly good barn to buld bigger barns Rudy. After all, where there is no vision the people perish right? LOL.

I know that verse is out of context, but that is how those who to constantly build more and more, at great er and greater expense to the saints, always use it. They have a vision of huge buildings because clearly that is what the scripture meant by a "vision" without which the peopel would perish.

Frankly, I think that vision is killing more saints by milking them dry and leaving them frustrated and bitter than a lack of vision would.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Tear down a perfectly good barn to buld bigger barns Rudy. After all, where there is no vision the people perish right? LOL.

I know that verse is out of context, but that is how those who to constantly build more and more, at great er and greater expense to the saints, always use it. They have a vision of huge buildings because clearly that is what the scripture meant by a "vision" without which the peopel would perish.

Frankly, I think that vision is killing more saints by milking them dry and leaving them frustrated and bitter than a lack of vision would.
There is that element that will not go for home assembly which is ok. Those that prefer home assembly tend to forget the role that an evangelist has. I feel that renting a building say twice a month is doable.

An old timer who's mother was baptized by G.T. Haywood stated there was a time when Pentecost was about prayer and fasting. Now he said it's about money and walked out of the room.

Those who are called to organic church need to get on their knees and seek Our Lord's will on this matter. God does move in the I.C. and he will move wherever he is invited.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLife View Post
There are principles and truths that we must gleam from in the first church. Our mission must never to redefine or change the church into what we think it should be, but rather, let us rediscover what the church was in the book of Acts and use them as our model. We must be a living, breathing body that is willing to change our approaches and methods, while we still hold firmly to the message of Jesus Christ.
I agree wholeheartedly with this! Great analogy!! Believing that more and more people are going to tire of the church system(s) as a whole, and begin to search after what it was in the Book of Acts had that stirred up whole towns and cities!!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
There is that element that will not go for home assembly which is ok. Those that prefer home assembly tend to forget the role that an evangelist has. I feel that renting a building say twice a month is doable.
So true. As I've said before, one size does not fit all. It does take all kinds to make the world go round... but as people begin to see the failure of the church systems to do much more than make money, and control people, then perhaps home churches will become to America what they were to the people of the book of Acts. And if not, rented or low-cost buildings another option to consider.

Rudy... just because I am not familiar with your abbreviation I.C. - could you clarify what that is. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
I Am That I Am.

Common sense: If a building has as many seats as space will permit, and all seats are taken...It's probably time for a new building.