Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Authority of Pastors

Quite a few years ago I was at a convention of The Church of Jesus Christ Pentecostal Faith(CoJCPF) in Cincinnati, OH. The host church was The Church of Jesus Christ pastored by Eld. Eugene Shafer. I don't remember just when this was. I think it was during the 1960's. I did hold license with that organization for a while in the 1960's but I don't remember if the license was current at that time or not. Some time in the 1960's (1963/64) we left the UPC church were attending and started going to an ALJC church. We continued at that ALJC church until the late 1970's.

At the time of the convention in Cincinnati there may have been as many as three local churches (all small) which were pastored by CoJCPF ministers. These pastors were Bishop James Hughes, Elder Eugene Shafer, and Eld. Douglas Charles. I had preached in all three of these churches at some time or another. None of them exist any longer.

At that time, Bishop G.R. Brock was the Presiding Bishop of the organization and Sis. Alta Johnson was the Secretary. Bishop Brock pastored a church in indianapolis, IN and Sis Johnson pastored a church in Niles, MI. Sis Johnson was a Bible teacher who taught from charts. She became pastor of the church in Niles after her husband, who was the pastor, died.

Sis. Johnson was teaching at the convention and something came up about wives being submissive and obedience to their husbands. She told of one preacher who said, "If I wash my feet in a pan of water and tell my wife to drink it she has to obey me." Sis. Johnson said that when he said that she just answered, "Would you?" I don't remember is she told us what his response was or not.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Why does a woman have to follow her husband? Why can't she follow Christ on her own? I don't think most Pastor's feel they have full authority over people's lives. I hope most of them think they are shepherds that guide their flock.
cause that's how God ordained it. The women are the weaker vessels.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post

That ought to really get the posts flowing in this thread.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
they definatly are not the weaker vessel, never is that stated in scripture. The reasdon women follow man is because they came from Man.

However God ordained elders and biships to be pastors, to be under shepherd.

something that was to be considerd a verb (pastoring) which edlers should do has become a Noun and a title.

Women are to submit to there husbands, if they have no husband common since says they dont have a husband to submit to therefore Christ is there Head......

Last edited by acerrak; 07-10-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
they definatly are not the weaker vessel, never is that stated in scripture. The reasdon women follow man is because they came from Man.

However God ordained elders and biships to be pastors, to be under shepherd.

something that was to be considerd a verb (pastoring) which edlers should do has become a Noun and a title.

Women are to submit to there husbands, if they have no husband common since says they dont have a husband to submit to therefore Christ is there Head......

Likewise, you husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

I Peter 3:7 kinda makes the case they ARE the weaker vessel. Just sayin'.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
I Peter 3:7 kinda makes the case they ARE the weaker vessel. Just sayin'.
guess i was wrong, I apologize, though lets substitute the meaning of the greek word into its place and see what it comes up with.

with out strength frail, feeble, sickly, unimpressive.
does that describe your wife?

what is making her the weaker vessel? physical strength or is the lack of wisdom and knowledge?

Last edited by acerrak; 07-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
guess i was wrong, I apologize, though lets substitute the meaning of the greek word into its place and see what it comes up with.

what is making her the weaker vessel? physical strength or is the lack of wisdom and knowledge?
Acerrak, you can't just take any definition and plug it in where you want. In this case most to all translations translate the word as "weaker"

For example the same greek word is used here Mat 26:41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

It is a biological fact that women, on average, are smaller and weaker -we don't need scripture to say it. As a result it has always been the case that the man act as the protector, in a physical sense, over his wife (and children). If a woman doesn't HAVE a husband then she needs to get herself a gun to equalize things.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Go Dodgers!

DON'T FORGET SILLY ....WOMEN ARE SILLY LIKE DAT SAYS PAUL

2Ti 3:6 For of these are those who creep into houses and lead captive silly women loaded with sins, led away with different kinds of lusts,

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.