Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

The Evangelical Error of Billy Graham

His altar call is being largely ignored by many believers in Jesus Christ.

Billy Graham would preach the Gospel: but not fully.

He would say: "It is not going to church every Sunday that is going to save you. It is not by keeping the Ten commandments that is going to save you. It is all those that call upon the name of the Lord."

Pretty much the gist of it in the quote above:

But... this is where he stops preaching the Gospel fully and that is at the altar call.

"If you are not sure you are saved..."

One really has to think about this as most of those that responded are believers in Jesus Christ already.

"If you are not sure you are saved... come forward and make a commitment to follow Christ."

Now you all ask Jesus for discernment if you cannot see the error of that altar call.

Why didn't Billy Graham say this? :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you are not sure you are saved.... if you had called on the name of the Lord, know that you are saved!"

"For those that want to be saved, call on the name of the Lord now and rest in the promise of God that you are saved for believing in Jesus Christ as Your Saviour for that is why Jesus came.. to save sinners from their sins so that they will no longer live in them."

"Now for those that are new believers and for those that had been unsure about your salvation, come forward, and we will give you a packet in how to be a disciple of Jesus Christ for this packet contains all the promises of God by which your love for Jesus will grow more and more in the knowledge of Him as you place your trust in Him as Your Good Shepherd to help you live the christian life as you do as Your Saviour for eternal life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But.. no. That is what Billy Graham should have said so that he has fully preached the Gospel, but he did not.

He preached a commitment to follow Christ and by keeping it is the means for the assurance of salvation... making the believers obedient by word and deed which Paul would never do by placing a yoke of bondage on a believer... for God has received him by faith in Jesus Christ.

Romans 15: 15Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God, 16That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost. 17I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God. 18For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, 19Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

By the grace of God only, we are called to disciple believers by having them continue in the word in the KJV to edify them in the faith to keep which is the good fight. We do so by the preaching of the scriptures as we look to God to cause the increase.

Believers should not look to a religious calling to place on a believer to "get them to follow Jesus" and thereby get out of discipling and edifying one another in the faith.

No one can deny that many mighty men and nobles would respond to religious callings of that nature... therefore that altar call is not the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and it causes the believers to labour in unbelief if they think that by keeping it assures their salvation when no one can finsih by the flesh what Christ began by the Spirit.... and that is why the just shall live by faith... and not by the commitment to follow Christ for by the commitment to follow Christ which testifies of the man that speaks to his glory as a man keeping it... is the knowledge of sin and no one will be justified by it.

Those under the yoke of bondage can ask Jesus to set them free and never entangle themselves in any religious yoke of bondages again. We are to rest in Jesus when we came to Him as all the promises of God are yes in Christ Jesus.

This is how we get to know Him and the power of His resurrection when we see ourselves living by faith in the Son of God to live as His as well as for eternal life.

Galatians 2: 20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3: 14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

So it is unfortunate that brother Billy Graham has gone astray and has even voiced uncertainity about being received by Christ in His kingdom in an interview at one time and why not? He is judging himself by that commitment to follow Christ: He needs to remember this and be set free.

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

O.o
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: The Evangelical Error of Billy Graham

Didn't Billy say a few controversial things when he visited the "Glass Cathedral"?
If I remember well he and Robert Schuller made a comment about "there are many different ways to God".....or something to that effect.
Anyhow....I'm not a baptist, so I would disagree with a few other things as well.

One thing I DO know is, that many became Christians through his ministry, so, that's a good thing.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
Didn't Billy say a few controversial things when he visited the "Glass Cathedral"?
If I remember well he and Robert Schuller made a comment about "there are many different ways to God".....or something to that effect.

This ministry covers the comrpomises done by Billy Graham.

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/grahamandrome.html

There is a youtube on the both of those men mentioned in your quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0

Quote:
Anyhow....I'm not a baptist, so I would disagree with a few other things as well.

One thing I DO know is, that many became Christians through his ministry, so, that's a good thing.
Then you need to lean on the Lord to discern more because it is christians that are being led astray rather than calling non-believers to the altar.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Then you need to lean on the Lord to discern more...

I guess you are the authority on discernment?

I know one fellow who came to Christ at one of Billy Grahams crusades in the 1950's when he was having meetings in Europe.
That man is right now still involved in eastern Europe preaching the full gospel message.....

Be careful what you say, God can do anything.

Last edited by Dordrecht; 07-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
I guess you are the authority on discernment?

I know one fellow who came to Christ at one of Billy Grahams crusades in the 1950's when he was having meetings in Europe.
That man is right now still involved in eastern Europe preaching the full gospel message.....

Be careful what you say, God can do anything.
God will not operate outside of His will.

Are they saved?

Everyone that believes in Jesus Christ: even in His name are saved.

Are they following Him by faith? No. Keeping their commitment to follow Him is a conifidence placed in man or in themselves: that is not the same thing as living by faith in the Son of God of Whom our confidence rests in that He will finish what He has begun in us.

I have walked that doubleminded road of the religious flesh long enough. Even though He was and still is with me always, I had followed Him in vain and in misery, but no more.

Having been delivered, I will not compromise the faith in Jesus Christ to give partiality to anyone testifying of their commitment when scriptures plainly states it is a false witness:

John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

And a false witness is what defiles a man:

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man:

So how about every believer be careful about what they say in how they bear witness?

Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

John 2:24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

So what are we testifying of: the believer's commitment or our faith in Jesus Christ, because they are not the same thing. His words plainly says so and warns against false witnessing.

So when will believer be careful about what they say in that regards?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
God will not operate outside of His will.
How do YOU know if this fellow is out of God's will?
You don't even know the guy.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Apostolic Act 2:38 Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
His altar call is being largely ignored by many believers in Jesus Christ.

Billy Graham would preach the Gospel: but not fully.

He would say: "It is not going to church every Sunday that is going to save you. It is not by keeping the Ten commandments that is going to save you. It is all those that call upon the name of the Lord."

Pretty much the gist of it in the quote above:

But... this is where he stops preaching the Gospel fully and that is at the altar call.

"If you are not sure you are saved..."

One really has to think about this as most of those that responded are believers in Jesus Christ already.

"If you are not sure you are saved... come forward and make a commitment to follow Christ."

Now you all ask Jesus for discernment if you cannot see the error of that altar call.

Why didn't Billy Graham say this? :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post appears to be a little old, and while I usually hate to drag up old threads I am going to use the excuse that I am new here as the culprit.

Although I agree that there is Error in Billy Grahams message I think it is more than what you posted. I agree with the Scriptures you wrote from Galatians and Romans. But before we can look at those books and understand them fully, we have to understand and obey Acts first. All the Churches that Paul wrote too were all created in the book of Acts.

You asked a good question 'Why stop there?' and I can say that about the things you had mentioned that he should of said.

Why stop at just believing when Scripture tells us they must be baptized after you believe? We must be born of water and Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven. Despite what some pastors want to teach and majority of trinity believing folk were taught. Scriptures are adament that those that 'believe and are baptized are saved'. We must follow the Apostles doctrine and how they did things. For they know more about what God's salvation plan is better than anyone living today.

So why stop at just asking Jesus into your heart? Thats not even Scriptural, bring them to the water, baptize them in Jesus Name and they shall receive the Holy Spirit. This and only this fulfills Matthew 28:19 and more importantly John 3 by being born again of water and Spirit. I tell you that merely calling upon the name of the Lord will profit you nothing if you have not been born again in this manner first. Jesus even said those that say Lord Lord will not enter the kingdom of Heaven. Didn't the goats in the last days say they cast out demons in His Name and prophesied in His Name? Yet Jesus didn't know them. Could be because they believed in a 3 person god instead of the One True God that manifested Himself into flesh and dwelt among us? Regardless of why, the goats apparently believed and had faith in Jesus and called upon His Name.

So although I agree that there is Error in bro Graham, God will have Mercy on who He has Mercy on. But there is a lot of false security being preached these days. Paul tells us, Follow me as I follow Christ! What did Paul do when he ran across a believer baptized a different way? You must be baptized in the Name of Jesus and you will receive this Holy Ghost (Acts 10).

When Paul and Silas were in prison, the earth shook and all the gates were opened. The guard was going to kill himself but Paul spoke up, the guard was shaken and asked Paul the same question people ask us as believers: (Acts 16) "30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house."

As we see here Paul didn't stop at just believing in Jesus or asking Jesus into your heart. After they believed, he preached to them the Word of God, then baptized them in Jesus Name. This is the pattern the Apostles laid down for us to follow.

After Peter preached to the crowd they were pricked at their heart and asked the same question 'What must we do to be saved?'

Peter could of said anything.
Peter could of said:
'Say a sinners prayer and you will be saved!' or
'Ask Jesus to come into your heart and you will be saved!' or
'Join my church and you will be saved!' or
'Just shake my hand and tithe my church and you will be saved!' or
'Just be baptized in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost and you will be saved!'

He could of said any of that, had it been true. But he was just filled with the Holy Ghost with evidence by speaking in tongues and it wasn't him talking at this point. It was God speaking through him because he was anointed. He said 'Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost'

So this is how we are to do things, this is the heart of soul winning.

Dont stop at just the believing part - get them baptized in Jesus Name for the remission of Sins so that they shall receive the Holy Ghost which is the earnest of our inheritance in Heaven. Without it, they are not saved.

Lord bless.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
1 john 5:10-13

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Apostolic Act 2:38 Preacher

I fully agree with you Sam. But again, 1 John was written to the Church founded in Acts of the Apostles. We can see after Pentecost that it is more than just believing. Sure believing is important, but that is Part A of Step 1. Now that ye believe, you need to Repent, be baptized in the Name of Jesus so you shall receive the Holy Ghost.

This is exactly why Paul asked in Acts 10 - Have ye received the Holy Ghost since you believed? Because God revealed to him that after you believe you must be baptized and most importantly will receive the Holy Ghost.

When you are born again, then you can rely on faith and knowing that your faith in Christ will save you.

If there is no death to our flesh, how can we say we have been crucified with Christ?

How can the blood of Christ be poured on us if there is no submersion in baptism to signify the death of Christ.

Paul wrote in Romans 6: "3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God."

By baptism we 'put on Christ' and become Christ-like. When we receive the Holy Ghost we recieve Power. The same Power the Apostles had, the same Power Jesus had but with less measure. Because Scripture tells us that Jesus had the Holy Ghost without measure. We only become heirs to the Kingdom of God after you receive the Holy Ghost. The Spirit is our earnest inheritance, the Promise that was spoken of by God since Isaiah that He will speak to His with through Stammering Lips and a foreign tongue. The Spirit can only give you utterance after you receive the Holy Ghost.

The Apostles taught that once you believe the Gospel of Jesus you then Repent and are baptized. This is shown at least 4 times in Acts of the Apostles alone and preached by Paul in the Letter to the Churches. There are no Scriptures that can be posted that would take away with what this says, it only adds to it. Yes you have to have faith, yes you have to believe..this is all done before you are baptized, this is a requirement before you are baptized and given the Holy Ghost.

It is through the faith of Jesus Christ that we are saved. We have faith that His life, death and resurrection destroys death and reconciled us to God. At the same time, Jesus plainly said that you must be born of water and Spirit in order to even see the kingdom of Heaven. the only way we can be born again is to follow Acts 2:38. Again, this isn't an opinion, this is the Word of God. Scripture clearly tells us that 'Let the Word of God be true, and every man a liar'. If its in the Bible, it should be followed.

Lord bless.