Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I keep hearing this again and again from tithing teachings. Faith in what promise exactly? Could you please clarify? I would like verses please.
Are you asking about explicit scripture promises regarding tithing or in general?
Old 09-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Are you asking about explicit scripture promises regarding tithing or in general?
When you say "God honors faith" in the sense of giving as you applied it to tithing and non tithing alike in your last response, what promises specifically are you referring to? I say promises just in case you have different texts for different actions (tithing vs free-will giving).
Old 09-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing (comes) by the word of God. Faith requires a word from God. IE scripture if we're talking in general, and prophecy or revelation etc if it's particular to a particular person for a particular thing.

Just believing that God will do something isn't faith unless there's a promise or word to believe.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
When you say "God honors faith" in the sense of giving as you applied it to tithing and non tithing alike in your last response, what promises specifically are you referring to? I say promises just in case you have different texts for different actions (tithing vs free-will giving).
For me tithing is free will giving. I don’t tithe because I feel like I have to and I am not afraid of a curse if I don’t. Instead, I do it as an act of faith and I want to honor God for His financial increase in my life. Also I don’t shame people who don’t.

I didn’t have any text in mind when I made the statement, “God honors faith”. Nor did I mention any promises. I am not sure what you thought I was meaning?
Old 09-09-2022, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing (comes) by the word of God. Faith requires a word from God. IE scripture if we're talking in general, and prophecy or revelation etc if it's particular to a particular person for a particular thing.

Just believing that God will do something isn't faith unless there's a promise or word to believe.
Matthew 9:20-22
20......And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:
21......For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.
22......But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Matthew 9:20-22
20......And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:
21......For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.
22......But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
Did you ever wonder why was that?

Mark 6:56 (NKJV) Wherever He entered, into villages, cities, or the country, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged Him that they might just touch the hem of His garment. And as many as touched Him were made well.

Here is the answer:
Some jews during that time believed that healing will come from the hem of the messiah’s garment because of this verse:

Malachi 4:2 (NKJV) But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings (kanap); And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.

It comes from here:
Numbers 15:38 (NKJV) “Speak to the children of Israel: Tell them to make tassels on the corners (kanap) of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a blue thread in the tassels of the corners.

Basically, they were convinced Jesus was the Christ of God. That was their faith.

Again, what promise you have?
Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you ever wonder why was that?

Mark 6:56 (NKJV) Wherever He entered, into villages, cities, or the country, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged Him that they might just touch the hem of His garment. And as many as touched Him were made well.

Here is the answer:
Some jews during that time believed that healing will come from the hem of the messiah’s garment because of this verse:

Malachi 4:2 (NKJV) But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings (kanap); And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.

It comes from here:
Numbers 15:38 (NKJV) “Speak to the children of Israel: Tell them to make tassels on the corners (kanap) of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a blue thread in the tassels of the corners.

Basically, they were convinced Jesus was the Christ of God. That was their faith.

Again, what promise you have?
I am still confused, what promise did I claim? I said God honors faith. Which all you have done is supported that statement.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I am still confused, what promise did I claim? I said God honors faith. Which all you have done is supported that statement.
Exactly, they had faith in the Word of God giving a specific promise from Malachi 4:2. They believed Jesus was the Christ, therefore believed that Malachi 4:2 would be fulfilled in them if they touched the corner of the garment.

However, let’s not generalize my question. My question was very specific. What Word of God do you have to back the faith you are referring to when you say “God honors faith” in respect to giving?

Last edited by coksiw; 09-09-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Exactly, they had faith in the Word of God giving a specific promise from Malachi 4:2.

However, let’s not generalize my question. My question was very specific. What Word of God do you have to back the faith you are referring to when you say “God honors faith” in respect to giving.
My statement was referred generally. Votive was referring to giving differently than I practice. The statement that God honors faith was just as much to his scenario as mine. A lot of things we are led of the Spirit to do may have scriptural support, but that doesn’t mean that a person has to have scripture and verse to act out of faith.

Matthew 8:8-10
8......The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
9......For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
10......When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

The centurion’s request doesn’t seem to be established by his knowledge of scripture, but by his personal understanding of authority. The example he gave was his understanding of the chain of command within Roman military.

Here is a random scripture about giving if that is what your asking for?
Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
My statement was referred generally. Votive was referring to giving differently than I practice. The statement that God honors faith was just as much to his scenario as mine. A lot of things we are led of the Spirit to do may have scriptural support, but that doesn’t mean that a person has to have scripture and verse to act out of faith.

Matthew 8:8-10
8......The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
9......For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
10......When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

The centurion’s request doesn’t seem to be established by his knowledge of scripture, but by his personal understanding of authority. The example he gave was his understanding of the chain of command within Roman military.
You are generalizing again. The faith as "I'm seeing Jesus doing great miracles gracefully, and I recognize the authority in him to just doing them by saying the word", does not equates to the "God honors faith" you are talking about.

Act 2:22 KJV - (22) Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

I have faith God has the authority and power to make me rich because I can see in the Scriptures plenty of testimonies, and plenty of proclamation of his power and authority over resources and economy. Do you think that if I come to God and ask Him to make me rich, and start acting as it is going to happen God will honor my faith?

No, I do not have faith God has the commitment to make me rich because I have no promise from Him of such thing.

Quote:
Here is a random scripture about giving if that is what your asking for?
Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
That verse is not a promise from God. That's a wisdom saying, with an illustration, and it is not even focused on giving money exclusively, but on treating others with mercy. Read it in context.

Do you have something else?