Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Re: What kind of beans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
My problem is I do not have the storage space needed for serious prepping, although I do believe we should.
I am fortunate we have good space, sometimes you have to be creative...under beds is one place...in a closet...where ever you can put a couple of cans or a box...do the best you can. Maybe a friend and you could go in together if they have more space...all you can do is the best you can do! I hope you can work something out.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

I only really like beans when they are canned, or in a good soup with vegetables and greens. But just a bowl of mushy "soup" I don't really care for them.

But this is a recipe that I love. It tastes so good, and I usually add ham, and/or some smoked sausage to it towards the end, when it's simmering.

Total Time:
55 min
Prep
15 min
Cook
40 min

Yield:
4 to 6 servings

Level:
Easy

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt and pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and potato; saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth. Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in the whole beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes (I usually add the Sausage/Ham in at this point, and let it simmer a bit longer than they ask for). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.)

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

SERVINGS: 4 (MAIN); Calories: 375; Total Fat: 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Protein: 19 grams; Total Carbohydrates: 43 grams; Sugar: 10 grams; Fiber: 10 grams; Cholesterol: 19 milligrams; Sodium: 1,391 milligrams
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzchild View Post
Brown Beans
one of my grammas old recipes~

Tsalagi

2 cups Born Beans
4 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda

Boil beans in salted water until tender. In separate bowl, mix cornmeal, baking soda and flour and mix well. Add beans and a little of the bean juice to the mixture to form stiff dough. Roll into balls, drop in boiling water and cook 30 mintues.
This does not sound to good but it taste better than it sounds. American word for them (Bean Balls)
Thanks Godzchild, Think I will try that.

But I think I will add chopped up onions in the dough. And drop the balls in the bean soup.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Beans are sooooooooooo good for you. Plenty of protein. And I love beans, especially with corn bread.

Recently my son has been reading up on foods that are really good for you. And I told him a long time ago, that I read that if you ate beans everyday, you wouldn't have any gas from them. So we decided to try it.

Now, you need to know, he lives about 100 ft from me, and his wife goes to work early in the mornings (about 5am.) So he comes to my house and we make breakfast together.

But when he said the we were going to eat beans for breakfast, OH NO, I CAN'T.

Well at first, we made bean cakes, with some sausage in them and plenty of sage, and they were pretty good, TO MY SURPRISE. But that got to be a hassel. So now I keep beans cooked all of the time in the ref. And he makes re-fried beans with with seasonings for Venison, summer sausage. He adds extra sage and other seasonings in it. And it is still good. We eat it every morning.

NO GASssssssssssss
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

This woman is known as The Bean Queen:

http://www.karenhurd.com/

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
This woman is known as The Bean Queen:

http://www.karenhurd.com/
I've wanted to get her book, but it is so expensive! Almost $50! Do you by chance have her book? Or even seen it? Would it be worth the $$ to buy it?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
Beans are sooooooooooo good for you. Plenty of protein. And I love beans, especially with corn bread.

Recently my son has been reading up on foods that are really good for you. And I told him a long time ago, that I read that if you ate beans everyday, you wouldn't have any gas from them. So we decided to try it.

Now, you need to know, he lives about 100 ft from me, and his wife goes to work early in the mornings (about 5am.) So he comes to my house and we make breakfast together.

But when he said the we were going to eat beans for breakfast, OH NO, I CAN'T.

Well at first, we made bean cakes, with some sausage in them and plenty of sage, and they were pretty good, TO MY SURPRISE. But that got to be a hassel. So now I keep beans cooked all of the time in the ref. And he makes re-fried beans with with seasonings for Venison, summer sausage. He adds extra sage and other seasonings in it. And it is still good. We eat it every morning.

NO GASssssssssssss
You would probably be interested in Karen Hurd's site, link provided above by ILG. I personally can't just eat a bowl of beans, but have to eat beans in something else. I don't know if I could handle eating beans for every meal!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I've wanted to get her book, but it is so expensive! Almost $50! Do you by chance have her book? Or even seen it? Would it be worth the $$ to buy it?
Thank you ILG and Kept, for that Web site. The Green Dragon is an amazing story. I could tell one similar of myself. I knew in my 20's that the Dr's couldn't help me, so I started studying Herbs, Nutrition and vitamins.

I truly believe that God put herbs and wholesome natural foods for our healing.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
You should be able to get it at the library! It is worth the read. If you can't find it, go to the information/reference desk and ask them if they can get it for you!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
You should be able to get it at the library! It is worth the read. If you can't find it, go to the information/reference desk and ask them if they can get it for you!
That's a great idea, I'll do that! Thanks