Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

I'm the last of the baby boomers.

I have a set of class notes Ruth Yadon took when she was a student at the mission.

Smarty pants
Old 01-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

This is a letter penned by Harry Morse in 1917. Enjoy

To my most excellent Theophilus: Greetings in Jesus name. Pardon my familiarity, but it sound so Scriptural and nice. You are the first man I have ever heard of bearing that name. Well, I assure you that I am glad to hear from you on the present truth you mentioned. Yes, your two letters reached me O.K. I have been here long enough (something nearly one and one half years) that I am quite well known here. I am somewhat amused to know of none there knowing my present address. I fear it is because of knowing my present stand, and evidently not caring to oblige any one.

There is a reproach attached to this as in all advanced truths. Yes, God definitely dealt with me on this Sabbath subject about a year ago, and I was some months getting the full consent of my mind that it was God’s eternal truth, and so about April, of 1916, I publicly took my stand for it and placed it among the cardinal truths of apostolic truths and ever since have boldly stood for it in wisdom and love.

It made quite a stir at first, being such a new adventure in Pentecostal circles on the coast; but God has given me wisdom in the few previous months of my considering of the subject to lay a foundation as to the place of the commandments in the New Testament; and when I got the Sabbath settled in my own mind it was not difficult to show the saints who had followed me in Bible teaching how that the Sabbath was one of those commandments; and to my surprise when I took my stand the larger majority of my assembly either came on or stood neutral and friendly with me in it; and then they gradually fell in with me, and with them came also quite a few of our ministers. So now we have a new order of Pentecostal mission work. I am very charitable toward those who as yet don’t see it. By taking this wize attitude we are holding them, and they are gradually getting the truth. We have quite a good sized assembly here, running on wide awake mission lines. Souls are coming through to God. Sunday night two received the Holy Ghost baptism. Three were baptized in water in Jesus name. We have nice open air meetings every night, and when the opposers to legalism come around they have to admit that our stand for the whole law of God has not taken away either our old time fevor and anointing in the Spirit; and the Spirit of the Lord is giving liberty. Your letter sounds solid on the subject. Your way of expressing yourself on the subject sounds natural.

I will truly enjoy being kept in touch with the Sabbath truth through you and your ministry. I will give you the address of a few more centers where the Sabbath truth is getting a hold…

Also, Bernt Berntsen was a missionary who was Spirit filled at Azusa Street. He then went to China as a missionary. After his death, his daughter was a student at the Morse Mission. Berntsen was a Sabbath keeper.

The class notes from 1928 do not cover the names of God.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Yes, the changeover of many Christians to "yahweh" was natural in a humanistic, liberal unbelieving sense. The forces of our modern times. And it was also natural that many Christians got duped into accepting the Alexandrian corruption versions built on the Westcott-Hort recension. As you are essentially pointing out, what is natural may be simply apostasy.

And I agree with you that the gibberish that came forth from the sacred namers (let 1,000 name flowers bloom) forced more careful evaluations.

Now we have a division. Large segments of Christiandom, including top oneness apostolic writers, are using and promoting the fossilized monstrosity of yahweh.

It is only the last 20 years that the whole situation really got shaken out. The key component is understanding that there is no harmony between the the major contenders. Jehovah and yahweh are irreconcilable. And, what has become abundantly clear, yahweh is even the pagan devil jove wearing a mask, come out of hiding.

However, many Christians have been pacified. They are not supposed to correct their scholars. So the beat goes on.

It is interesting to note that the "unfolding name" types of understanding work perfectly with Jehovah, and create frightening monstrosities like yahshua when a person starts with yahweh. Error begets error, to attack the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is time to drain the swamp of the scholastic debris of yahwehism.

Steven
So, ..... in your opinion, what is the correct name and its eventual unfolding?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

we have an emergency need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
So, ..... in your opinion, what is the correct name and its eventual unfolding?
Jehovah (or Yehovah as in modern Hebrew) is 100% correct for the Tetragram, and the representation as LORD is excellent.

Here is a scripture verse where it was important to put the actual name.

Psalm 83:18
That men may know that thou,
whose name alone is JEHOVAH,
art the most high over all the earth.

However, I am more concerned with the emergency problem of people calling upon the devil yahweh than whether they agree 100% on the true name.

e.g. Some people think it is Jehowah or Yehowah.
And I believe that is inaccurate, but at worse it would only be a mispronunciation, not the name of a devil.

Plus, our key name is the Lord Jesus Christ.
And we simply use LORD in most cases for the Tetragram.

1 Corinthians 10:21
Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils:
ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table,
and of the table of devils.

While the immediate context there was communion, the verse applies perfectly to knowingly calling upon the name of a devil.

This can be done to various degrees and in many ways. Like reading in an errant corruption version like the HCSB or NLT or WEB, or even more the text in something like Rotherdam's Emphasized Bible or the rcc Jerusalem Bible. Or pretty much anything from the "Sacred Name" or "Qodesh Name" groups, including the Twelve Tribes. You can have a writer following pseudo-scholarship from the liberals and unbelievers, or the error pushes its way into David Bernard or Jason Dulle (to a limited extent) or others. There can be a short prayer, even one in Jesus name, that just throws in the yahweh thing.

The fact that the writer has some seminary training is irrelevant. Using and embracing yahweh is a spiritual principality, wickedness in high places, wherever it creeps in. The leaven needs to be purged. Often the error is accidental or incidental, but the days of winking at this as ignorance is passing by. We will be able to see the spiritual integrity of our fav leaders and writers and preachers by whether they are willing to consider, and then dump the clump (yahweh.)

In the worst case (and one with which I am familiar) there is actual prayer, travail, song, worship, praise to the yahweh thing and the goal is "Yahweh-worship". This last extreme error is done at Homestead Heritage in Texas (and their affiliates around the country and world) which had a oneness heritage. An additional abomination is when the counterfeit "yahshua" comes into play. (They even brought it in to pollute the formerly apostolic water baptism.)

And I actually see 2017 as a year where this is a primary focus, to help correct any brethren who have been buffeted and gone, to any degree, into yahweh-bondage.

Colossians 3:15-17
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body;
and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;
teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 01-30-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply and the research behind it. It gives me another paradigm to study from.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Let's not sidetrack this great informative thread with other issues.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
This is a letter penned by Harry Morse in 1917. Enjoy

To my most excellent Theophilus: Greetings in Jesus name. Pardon my familiarity, but it sound so Scriptural and nice. You are the first man I have ever heard of bearing that name. Well, I assure you that I am glad to hear from you on the present truth you mentioned. Yes, your two letters reached me O.K. I have been here long enough (something nearly one and one half years) that I am quite well known here. I am somewhat amused to know of none there knowing my present address. I fear it is because of knowing my present stand, and evidently not caring to oblige any one.

There is a reproach attached to this as in all advanced truths. Yes, God definitely dealt with me on this Sabbath subject about a year ago, and I was some months getting the full consent of my mind that it was God’s eternal truth, and so about April, of 1916, I publicly took my stand for it and placed it among the cardinal truths of apostolic truths and ever since have boldly stood for it in wisdom and love.

It made quite a stir at first, being such a new adventure in Pentecostal circles on the coast; but God has given me wisdom in the few previous months of my considering of the subject to lay a foundation as to the place of the commandments in the New Testament; and when I got the Sabbath settled in my own mind it was not difficult to show the saints who had followed me in Bible teaching how that the Sabbath was one of those commandments; and to my surprise when I took my stand the larger majority of my assembly either came on or stood neutral and friendly with me in it; and then they gradually fell in with me, and with them came also quite a few of our ministers. So now we have a new order of Pentecostal mission work. I am very charitable toward those who as yet don’t see it. By taking this wize attitude we are holding them, and they are gradually getting the truth. We have quite a good sized assembly here, running on wide awake mission lines. Souls are coming through to God. Sunday night two received the Holy Ghost baptism. Three were baptized in water in Jesus name. We have nice open air meetings every night, and when the opposers to legalism come around they have to admit that our stand for the whole law of God has not taken away either our old time fevor and anointing in the Spirit; and the Spirit of the Lord is giving liberty. Your letter sounds solid on the subject. Your way of expressing yourself on the subject sounds natural.

I will truly enjoy being kept in touch with the Sabbath truth through you and your ministry. I will give you the address of a few more centers where the Sabbath truth is getting a hold…

Also, Bernt Berntsen was a missionary who was Spirit filled at Azusa Street. He then went to China as a missionary. After his death, his daughter was a student at the Morse Mission. Berntsen was a Sabbath keeper.

The class notes from 1928 do not cover the names of God.
A lot of black apostolic churches are Sabbath keepers. Do you know or have any theories as to whether or not Morse was somehow instrumental in influencing them in that direction?

Also a lot of Caribbean apostolics are Sabbath keepers. Does anyone know anything about the history of apostolics in and/or from the Caribbean?

By the way, great thread, one of the few actually informative threads around here that have lasted more than 3 or 4 pages.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

How Morse became a Sabbath keeper by 1915 is still a mystery. There is an old Seventh Day Adventist church on Oakland that was in operation when Morse arrived in Oakland, but they do not have any archives.

Prior to 1916, Morse was part of the Peniel Mission and the Volunteers of America. Neither of which were sabbath keepers.

Still working on it.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
How Morse became a Sabbath keeper by 1915 is still a mystery. There is an old Seventh Day Adventist church on Oakland that was in operation when Morse arrived in Oakland, but they do not have any archives.

Prior to 1916, Morse was part of the Peniel Mission and the Volunteers of America. Neither of which were sabbath keepers.

Still working on it.
There was a season that Elder Goss said if a preacher didn't come up with a new slant of pet doctrine they were seen as I unspiritual. Reed did that in Hot Springs with the Spiritual Communion doctrine.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Who was Harry Morse? - keeping thread in focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Let's not sidetrack this great informative thread with other issues.
Makes sense.
Four posts on the other issues I moved over to a more sensible home.

connecting dots - info from the Harry Morse thread
http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...20#post1467120

#428 I did not bring over, a hybrid post, that is discussing finding special information from the apostolic pioneers.

Steven