Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
holy ghost, jesus, praise, shouting, worship

Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: Sit Down and Behave Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
I cut my teeth in old fashioned Pentecostal services. Dancing in the Spirit, running the aisles, jumping up and down were normative expressions of worship. They were, in our veiw, Biblical responses to the blessing of God. As the Spirit moved, we moved with Him, as best as we understood. And God moved, blessing, healing, saving, and filling with the Holy Ghost. What some see as "emotionalism' was, to us, worshipping God "in Spirit and in truth". I miss those days. I would trade all the drama teams, the choregraphed dance teams, and the glitzy entertainment found in todays Pentecostal services for one old fashioned, Holy Ghost, Pentecostal rally.

But what can I say? I don't think I was "one born for such a time as this".
I think you are.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
I'd comment about how ridiculously embarrassing this type of behavior is to me.

Entertainment for those in the cheap seats.

I just can not view this and see it as pleasing to God.

It's no wonder the Apostle Paul had to instruct the Corinthians to curtail this type of behavior. Behavior that would cause the unbeliever to think that we are all mad.

But seeing how the leader of this "praise break" is a respected UPC minister of worship
and forum member on AFF, I'll refrain from commenting.
Please show me where Paul curtailed worship? The only thing Paul did was regulate tongues

BTW Thad's church has a good sized membership, so apparently not all unbelievers thought they were all mad

And yeah, Im gonna evoke David's dance, not to say that is how we ought to behave but to point out not just some unbelievers would thing he was mad but his own family did

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
I cut my teeth in old fashioned Pentecostal services. Dancing in the Spirit, running the aisles, jumping up and down were normative expressions of worship. They were, in our veiw, Biblical responses to the blessing of God. As the Spirit moved, we moved with Him, as best as we understood. And God moved, blessing, healing, saving, and filling with the Holy Ghost. What some see as "emotionalism' was, to us, worshipping God "in Spirit and in truth". I miss those days. I would trade all the drama teams, the choregraphed dance teams, and the glitzy entertainment found in todays Pentecostal services for one old fashioned, Holy Ghost, Pentecostal rally.

But what can I say? I don't think I was "one born for such a time as this".
BTW one would have to be a fool to think there is no emotionalism in a Pentecostal service. Pentecostals get emotional...others don't. I can speculate why but the fact is the bible does not tell us to be emotionless robots.

We should though not recklessly out of control. We should also be considerate of others

The bible uses terms like "Joy" and "Rejoice". However there might be a time when it's "pure emotionalism", though who is to judge the motives and hearts of other humans? Who is to say they are not reacting emotionally to what God has to done for them or for what they feel in the Spirit?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I appreciate quiet moments with God-- in the corporate worship setting and at home.

I appreciate the valid criticism that one can do all the shenanigans and be insincere, unchanged, unconvicted, and unsaved.

I don't appreciate the notion that willfull, demonstrative, praise and worship to God is somehow not valuable, or even not necessary.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Maybe there are some that God hasn't done so much for them to be so excited about.

Maybe there are some that haven't sinned enough, so the gratitiude expressed to God in leaping, dancing and praising God for His Grace and Mercy is either a foreign concept, or just not necessary.

Maybe there are some for whom God understands that their clothes are expensive, and their ego even more valuable and so they don't ever have to leap in praise to God.

I mean really-- God already knows our hearts, He already knows we appreciate His Kindness-- so where's the value in leaping, raising one's voice, or even losing one's self in praise and worship to God?

Am I closer to understanding the people with a lukewarm response to demonstrative praise and worship now?

Maybe there are some that God hasn't done so much for them to be excited about.
This post is very passive aggressive.

Worship that is about the person, the location, the piano player, the worship leader, how high you jump, how loud you shout, is not worship.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we’ve got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition — and then admit that we just don’t want to do it."
-Steven Colbert
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

So, whats up with all that dancing, jumping up and down? Whats up with the hand clapping, arms being raised? Speaking in tongues, loud singing? Drums? Keyboards? Organs? Microphones? The NT never not once endorsed musical instruments in worship.

Mmmmm...we're beginning to sound alot like, oh, I don't know...the Church of Christ! LOL

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
This post is very passive aggressive.

Worship that is about the person, the location, the piano player, the worship leader, how high you jump, how loud you shout, is not worship.

There's nothing passive about my posts.

Neither have I indicated worship to be about any of the stuff you seem to imply above.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
There's nothing passive about my posts.

Neither have I indicated worship to be about any of the stuff you seem to imply above.
Every service I've been in (pentecostal and charismatic) that looks like the video you posted is about all of those things.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we’ve got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition — and then admit that we just don’t want to do it."
-Steven Colbert
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Every service I've been in (pentecostal and charismatic) that looks like the video you posted is about all of those things.
Then you should have been in service with us, yesterday.
No music, but plenty of dancing, shouting, running, repenting and speaking in tongues.
We even had a baptisimal service!!!
Shocking!!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I don't have a problem with demonstrative worship.

I have a problem with the focus and goal being demonstrative worship.