Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Just a Question

I find myself being disturbed by some ministers and their tactics in lessons.

This is no way an attack on any minister and if you know who preaches this I am not putting this man of God down.

But I was at the Indiana District UPC youth convention and the speaker preached "I Believe in Rings"...

He opened by discussing the things that we do in the church that have no biblical base such as running laps around the church, then he moved into the taboo of standards and how some are not in the Bible.

He took his text from the description of the tabernacle and talked about how rings were placed on all the items so that they could be moved in a time of transition without being tarnished.

He later drew a parallel to these rings and to the standards. He said we are in the greatest time of transition the church has ever faced and continued to rant about this.

Now, here is what bothers me and I think may be harmful:

1) Why is the church in a greater time of transition?
2) How safe is it when a preacher declares he has found some great hidden meaning in a scripture and it just blows the minds of the congregation?

I know it sounds like a great sermon but I can hardly see a shadow in rings and standards and now how many youth that were questioning their grounding in the church are going to be sustained by this faulty view point?

I just get a little upset when a preacher preaches something that sounds so mind blowing and intense but it is merely some interpretation to explain something that is not in the Bible....

dangerous!

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Cross-examine it!

Re: Just a Question

Relax...here have some more Kool Aid.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgustaveson View Post

This is no way an attack on any minister and if you know who preaches this I am not putting this man of God down.

But I was at the Indiana District UPC youth convention and the speaker preached "I Believe in Rings"...

He opened by discussing the things that we do in the church that have no biblical base such as running laps around the church, then he moved into the taboo of standards and how some are not in the Bible.

He took his text from the description of the tabernacle and talked about how rings were placed on all the items so that they could be moved in a time of transition without being tarnished.

He later drew a parallel to these rings and to the standards. He said we are in the greatest time of transition the church has ever faced and continued to rant about this.

2) How safe is it when a preacher declares he has found some great hidden meaning in a scripture and it just blows the minds of the congregation?

I know it sounds like a great sermon but I can hardly see a shadow in rings and standards and now how many youth that were questioning their grounding in the church are going to be sustained by this faulty view point?

I just get a little upset when a preacher preaches something that sounds so mind blowing and intense but it is merely some interpretation to explain something that is not in the Bible....

dangerous!
One, we don't have the full message to accurately gauge a response &
two, I can see you are not in favour of standards perhaps?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
One, we don't have the full message to accurately gauge a response &
two, I can see you are not in favour of standards perhaps?
Perhaps, but I don't think it has anything to do with being favor of standards or not.

I am not asking for a response I am asking two simple questions that could be answered a full message is not needed.

I don't want to post a transcript so that people can pick out the good things and fail to see the fundamental flaw in the foundation.

I see it too often these days, ministers try to get a point across that may be a very good point but they about it in a way that is dangerous to developing minds.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
A Prince of the Gospel!

Quote:

dangerous!

Maybe and maybe not. Without the full context of the message, a final assessment can't be made...

...but in general, such a message seems out of order for the occasion...
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:

dangerous!

I personally don't believe that a preacher at a camp meeting, General Conference, Youth Rally, or any other venue where several churches are represented should preach about standards AT ALL! Either for, or against, that's not the time or place, in my opinion.

Those preachers should preach about soul winning, encouragement, revival, and a host of other great topics to inspire people, in my humble opinion.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBuddy View Post
Maybe and maybe not. Without the full context of the message, a final assessment can't be made...

...but in general, such a message seems out of order for the occasion...
I agree it would be out of order, but I still am not asking for an assessment to be made of the message...

Forever Loved Admin

His point being to use standards as something that is removable when in transition to what? There is nothing new about preachers finding new meanings or points in scripture.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
I agree it would be out of order, but I still am not asking for an assessment to be made of the message...
Then what is the point of this post?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
His point being to use standards as something that is removable when in transition to what? There is nothing new about preachers finding new meanings or points in scripture.
Just because its not new doesn't mean it is not bad...

Does anyone here actually read into the question at hand and look beyond the minor ones?

His point was not that standards are ever removable, simply that they aid in helping keep the church clean in transitional times... his statement about now being more of transitional period then ever seems incorrect IMHO but thats neither here not there.

My problem is that this type of message unsupported logic lends to a belief system that can hurt people.

I have never said their assumptions are wrong but when you base a principle on a foundation that doesn't exist you are doing something fundamentally wrong. It is safer to be wrong in principle then in foundation...